Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2017 3:57:29 PM EDT
If we get into a skirmish with the NKs, will we make an effort/mission to recover The Pueblo?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No. If we can recover it, great. If not, we'll lob a Harpoon or two into it. It's not a victory point for us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been way too long to matter anymore. Most Americans have never even heard of the uss pueblo
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The scrap value is probably not even worth the cost of the ordinance to sink it...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I served with a person who was on the USS Pueblo... we needed help in the galley and he was assigned to my boat for about 3 months.

He showed me his leg where he was stabbed with a bayonet.

He asked me if it were possible to have your elbows touch behind your back... I replied "I do not think so"... he told me that his captors tied his wrists in front of him, then put ropes through his arms, increasing pressure until his shoulders popped out of socket... making his elbows touch....
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's been way too long to matter anymore. Most Americans have never even heard of the uss pueblo
View Quote
May I ask how old you are?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be bombed and destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know all about it
View Quote
What part of 'Murica are you from?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The scrap value is probably not even worth the cost of the ordinance to sink it...
View Quote
It's not about the scrap value, it's about redemption, it's about righting a wrong, it's about the pride and honor of our nation.

Am I wrong, am I alone here, I thought this was a big deal?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay I'll bite... what is the USS Pueblo? And what's the story behind it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A small island off your Eastern coast...
View Quote
Yeah, you kind of type like a Bermudian.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Bring it back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't help but wonder if the Pueblo is even still afloat. The Norks likely aren't spending much money on keeping it painted and maintaining it below the water line. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
US intelligence ship seized by the North Koreans in 1968 (?).  Crew was held for a year or so then released.  The Norks kept the Pueblo as a tourist attraction, where it remains to this day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe I'm just old.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is an under-weaponed US Navy ship used for "gathering information" (the US doesn't "spy" ) that was pirated from us by the Norks in 1968(?) or so. The crew did its best to destroy equipment and information of value before being overwhelmed by the Koreans and while waiting for help from the Navy. (It never arrived) The crew was held and tortured for around a year. It is a point of pride for the Norks who use it as a tourist attraction trying to embarrass us. We missed an opportunity to sink it when she was towed from one side of the peninsula to the other years later. It's probably only being held afloat by its paint by now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy shit.  This confirms I am old.

I was a junior in high school when this happened.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The middle finger is the only weapon ever needed for that ship
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This confirms I am old.
View Quote
Right there with you brother.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Should we take it back?  Yes.  Will we?  Probably not.  If we go to fisticuffs with the Norks, we'll probably just destroy it in place with a JDAM or two.  It would be great to tow it home and make a museum ship out of it.  It's probably in relatively decent shape and most likely still has period equipment since the Norks didn't use it.  It would be a nice snapshot in time.  But, the Navy probably won't expend the $ to tow it home since everything is about $ these days.  Plus, they probably don't want people to know what happened and would rather bury it in the obscurity of history.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#22]
If things go hot put a couple 1000 pounders into her, just to deny the norks the fun of visiting and getting all hoopla on her !!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know all about it
View Quote
I was in basic at the time Ft Campbell it was a big deal the DIs had is convinced that basic was going to be canceled and we were
going over as infantry...good motivator...even if it was total B.S.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I doubt it's practical to recover PUEBLO.  Even if it isn't welded to the pier, we'd have to put a couple companies of Marines ashore to secure the area, put a prize crew aboard, and send a DD or a Fleet Tug in to tow it out of the harbor.  Then extract the Marines.

Better to destroy it in place.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I served with a person who was on the USS Pueblo... we needed help in the galley and he was assigned to my boat for about 3 months.

He showed me his leg where he was stabbed with a bayonet.

He asked me if it were possible to have your elbows touch behind your back... I replied "I do not think so"... he told me that his captors tied his wrists in front of him, then put ropes through his arms, increasing pressure until his shoulders popped out of socket... making his elbows touch....
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
It's still there.  Pete Bucher lived near my parents.  They liked him a lot.

Google aerial image showing USS Pueblo in 2017
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I would love to see her back stateside. Let all these commie fucks know we hold a grudge pretty well. In reality it will be probably be destroyed in place. I may be completely wrong here - have been more than a few times. At least send a bunch of spec op guys and try to recover her ship's bell if it's still there. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Isn't the Pueblo sitting on dry land in a park now?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#31]
We can have a reenactment of Stephen Decatur and the USS Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It appears to be so.  See my link above.  It looks to me like they built a concrete cofferdam around it and filled it in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It will be bombed and destroyed.
View Quote
Might as well do it right with a Trident.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.

But here's something to chew on.

One day I'm walking around the Ft Bliss PX and I see this guy sporting a USS Pueblo ball cap.

So I ask him if he was crew. (yes)

There was a guy from my home town who was on that ship when captured and he immediately identified him.

We talk about the Pueblo seizure for a while and he drops this on me:

Q: Do you know where it was seized?  
A: East coast of North Korea (correct)
Q: Where is it now? A: Lightbulb comes on - it's ported on the West Coast of NK.
Q: How did it get there? A: I don't know.
His answer:  The NKs towed it around South Korea to the West Coast.

I'm thinking holy shit, why didn't we seize it in international waters?

No good answer to that - it occurred under the Clinton administration.

Additional trivia:  The USS Pueblo is a sister ship of the USS Liberty.

I had an opportunity to talk to a survivor and active duty naval officer the day the USS Stark was hit with Exocets. (that's a whole other story)

Jim
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know all about it
View Quote
Yeah, but you pronounce "aluminium" correctly.

And, drive on the wrong side of the road.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is the book about it, I started reading it a long time ago but never finished.  Man, the author uses some big words, smart guy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I would have sunk it the moment I was elected President.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't help but wonder if the Pueblo is even still afloat. The Norks likely aren't spending much money on keeping it painted and maintaining it below the water line. 
View Quote
Believe it or not, the NORKs refurbed a few years ago when they re dedicated their museum that holds it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad was in the guard at the time it was captured, and was called to active duty for most of the remainder of his term of service.  And he was Air Force. 

It was a big enough deal at the time to call however many guard units to active service for a fair amount of time.  But apparently not a big enough deal to take real action.

It's a wrong that we should have righted a long time ago.   In the words of the Dude....that sort of aggression cannot stand...man. 

I'd vote for dropping an excessively large bomb on it just to spite the North Koreans, but I'll admit it would be purely spite and symbolism at this point.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Blow it up - it's ours, after all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Check out "Act of War" by Jack Cheevers. It's a good book giving the history & backstory of the USS Pueblo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's still there.  Pete Bucher lived near my parents.  They liked him a lot.

Google aerial image showing USS Pueblo in 2017
View Quote
@California_Kid

Do you remember someone placing a pipe bomb on his wife's car?  For some reason that comes to mind and I can't remember if it was her or not.  I think they were living in University City at the time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
They see it as a national treasure, and trophy....it's open as a tourist attraction.  One of the Vice specials went to NK, and they showed a bit of the Pueblo tour
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's not about the scrap value, it's about redemption, it's about righting a wrong, it's about the pride and honor of our nation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't "right" any wrong and is not redemption.

There are infinitely larger issues at stake that really matter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A small island off your Eastern coast...
View Quote
Great.  You are invited for the Fourth of July parade.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top