Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 12:23:25 PM EDT
Less than 48 hours ago news broke that the LaPorte county commissioners would be considering an ordinance to prohibit the discharge of a firearm, air gun, bb gun, slingshot or bow and arrow within 1,000 feet of residence.  This would amount to a defacto ban on shooting virtually anywhere in the county.

After a massive public outcry the commissioners pulled the item from the agenda and most people thought that was the end of it.  Unfortunately it isn't.

Tonight there will be consideration on the matter and it would seem at least the formation of a "committee" to propose a different ban according to the LaPorte County attorney.

If you live in LaPorte County Indiana be sure to make it to the meeting tonight at 6pm sharp at the county complex building, it's the conference room on the first floor by the sheriffs office.  

You can find more information about the proposed ban and contact information here:
Breaking: LaPorte County considering 1,000' ban on discharging Firearms, BB guns, bows and more
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that i am for it but 1000 feet is not very far. Must be a building dense county.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Super lame... does anyone know if this would impact the Kingsbury DNR range?  I know there's a few houses in the area, and one of them looks like it might be right on the threshold of 1000 feet.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That is crap. Our county fish and game range would have to close if that became the law here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the conservation/natural resources law on distance? 500 feet from a dwelling?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that i am for it but 1000 feet is not very far. Must be a building dense county.
View Quote
The northern 1/4 of kinda sorta is.  The rest... not so much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's over 3 football fields.  Pull up google maps and use the distance tool.  

Marion county (Indianapolis) doesn't have any distance restrictions.  Lake county, the next most populous county in the state and super liberal right next to ILL has a 200' restriction, that was in place before the preemption laws BTW.

To be 100% clear to shoot on your own property under a 1,000' rule, you'd have to be shooting in the dead center of 72 acres of circular land.  SEVENTY TWO acres.  How is that in any way "not very far"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
1000' = 333.3 yards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
up here it's within 100 yards unless you have the building owners permission. 1000 ft is quite a stretch when you have to factor in all directions not just the direction you are shooting.

If you have one neighbor 200 yards away down the road, with that law you would not be able to shoot on your property.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like yall need a new local government.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
up here it's within 100 yards unless you have the building owners permission. 1000 ft is quite a stretch when you have to factor in all directions not just the direction you are shooting.

If you have one neighbor 200 yards away down the road, with that law you would not be able to shoot on your property.
View Quote
Exactly.  I've got over a mile before the next house in the direction I shoot BUT if this law were to pass here I'd have to use the backside of my berm and shoot in the direction of a single house that would be within 1000 feet of the back of that berm.  What sense does that make?  Granted I have a 12' high berm that runs about 50 yards wide so they wouldn't be in a danger at all but still, it's a ridiculous thing to propose.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is the conservation/natural resources law on distance? 500 feet from a dwelling?
View Quote
There is no such thing in Indiana state law.

There regulations for hunting on state land.  Regulations prohibiting shooting / tracking onto neighboring properties without permission ect. ect.  those really fall on trespass laws though.

If you shot at an animal standing in front of an occupied dwelling (but was standing on property you were allowed to hunt) there could be charges related to recklessness but not the hunting itself... assuming you were on property you were lawfully allowed to hunt on.  

Since you mentioned "conservation"  there are rules and regulations on that state land, usually they include something like no hunting within 100 yards of the borders of xyz, I don't hunt on public land so I haven't taken the time to drill down on those specifics.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the county every day. It's primarily open farmland and wood lots You've got Michigan City to the north on the lake and LaPorte. Sounds like some leftist's snuck onto one of the county commission's and is trying to enact some sort of gun control by other means.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I've got over a mile before the next house in the direction I shoot BUT if this law were to pass here I'd have to use the backside of my berm and shoot in the direction of a single house that would be within 1000 feet of the back of that berm.  What sense does that make?  Granted I have a 12' high berm that runs about 50 yards wide so they wouldn't be in a danger at all but still, it's a ridiculous thing to propose.
View Quote
It's easy to shoot over top of a 12 foot berm

at 100 yards, a 12 berm sweeps out 2.29 degrees of angle.  That's nothing.

people shoot over the top of berms all the time, and it has resulted in deaths

Shooters are always insisting that their backyard range is safe, 99.99% of the time they are not safe.

When you point it out, they call you a gun grabber or a pussy.  Because they have no logical argument to present.

A guy was shooting  a 9 mm about ten years ago, triggered a round over a high berm, the bullet went just about maximum range and killed a child eating at a restaurant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's over 3 football fields.  Pull up google maps and use the distance tool.  

Marion county (Indianapolis) doesn't have any distance restrictions.  Lake county, the next most populous county in the state and super liberal right next to ILL has a 200' restriction, that was in place before the preemption laws BTW.

To be 100% clear to shoot on your own property under a 1,000' rule, you'd have to be shooting in the dead center of 72 acres of circular land.  SEVENTY TWO acres.  How is that in any way "not very far"?
View Quote
300 yards isn't that far, 72 acres isn't either to "amount to a defacto ban on shooting virtually anywhere in the county". The residences, I guess, are packed that close together. Sorry I am several states away and don't know your area.

So you would have to be 1000' from a neighboring property as well as 1000' from a residence?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
People would not be able to legally defend themselves in their own homes?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like enough people bitched as this topic has been removed from the agenda.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
If OP's grammar is accurate that would prohibit shooting within 1000' of your own home even if you lived in the center of your own 5,000 acre ranch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If OP's grammar is accurate that would prohibit shooting within 1000' of your own home even if you lived in the center of your own 5,000 acre ranch.
View Quote
Yeah the property owners dwellings/buildings should not count. Looks like they are rethinking this luckily for OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct, it was a direct quote the Commissioners Agenda.

It's dead, the turnout was unreal tonight.  90 minutes of public comments and most people didn't speak but were wearing pro gun shirts and NRA hats.  Not a single comment in favor.  It was an epic smack down.

Attempted 1000 Ban in LaPorte County Dead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top