Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/19/2017 12:49:07 AM EDT
Or yourself? Venomous/non-venomous?

What happened? Any interesting related stories?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes I have been bitten by a non-venomous that my buddy had that said was friendly. Nope it wasn't. Almost been bitten by an eight foot diamond back 30+ years ago on a boy scout camp. He let me and my bother just walk a way. Was about three feet or so from him so in striking distance. Ever since I hear the rattle and stop and look to find out where it is coming from before I pick a direction to get the fuck out of there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Knew! He's dead, Rattlesnake Bite

ETA: The guy was what I'd call an idiot. He lived in a 12x60 trailer with his snakes. That's where they found him, they figure he had one out of the cage and was handling one and it bit him on the upper arm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been bitten countless times by non venomous snakes.
I know quite a few people who have been envenomated by rattlesnakes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Dry strike by a rattlesnake when I was clearing some brush in Florida.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Once playing soccer I went down to the ground. Was getting up and felt something weird on my hand and held it up. A maybe 3-4 inch baby garter snake was hanging off of my palm. When I took him off you couldn't even see a mark lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope, but since I'm on second shift now and plan to do a little jogging(along the roads) before work...I'm putting it off until I can locate my snake bite kit to take it with me
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Been bitten a few times by gopher snakes and garter snakes.  No biggie.  Got a heel strike on my shoe while hiking from a rattler a couple of years back that damn near gave a heart attack.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad got bit by a copperhead on the ankle.  It just swole up a little.  I've been bit numerous times picking up non poisonous snakes.  Rat snakes can get a little pissy.  They don't really hurt, more of a scare jump than anything else.

My dogs however, I don't think I've had one that didn't get bit by a rattler.  They almost always get bit in the face (best place for a dog, actually).  They swell up for 4 or 5 days and then they're ok.  My dog Monk just got bit two days ago.  Poor thing looks like he tried to eat a bucket of bees.  Drooled constantly the first day.  Today he was trotting along behind me looking ridiculous when I rolled our trash can to the road.  He's our smart, careful one too.  Not sure how, but the snake must have been a total surprise.  I've seen him catch sight or smell of a snake and look like he hit an invisible wall he stops so quick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I was bit by this guy on Hilton Head. Not sure what it was but I survived. It was trying to slither up the wife's pant leg. Pic was after it bit my thumb incase it needed to be identified later. Still interested in what it was.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I know a number of people who've been bitten by northern pacific rattlesnakes.  Effects ranged from nearly nothing to almost dead.

Your snake is a water snake.  I've been bitten by lots of non-venomous snakes over the years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted this before:

I got bit on the left ring finger by one of these little bastards when I was 15, Pygmy Rattler.  My buddy quickly caught the snake and put it in a container and we took it with us for ID.  I immediately grabbed my finger with my right hand to stop the flow of blood, walked the 150 feet to the house told my dad and we jumped in the car to go to the local hospital.   We made it there in 15 minutes.

The swelling was already starting by the time we got to the hospital.  They ID'd the snake and immediately started the antivenom.  Turned out I had a reaction to the antivenom and they had to keep upping the dose.  About an hour after getting bit the pain started, holy fuck!  Every time my heart beat it felt like a D9 was driving up the length of my arm.  They gave some wonderful happy pill and I totally forgot about the pain.

By the next day my hand was swollen to gigantic proportions and my ring finger was turning black.  The doctor came in and said that if they couldn't get the swelling under control, they were going to slice my fingers from one end to the other to relieve the pressure, and if that didn't work they would have to start amputating.  Luckily the swelling peaked out that night with all my fingers at about 2 inches in diameter.  My palm was swollen so bad it was round and the swelling had made it half way to my elbow.

On the third day they had to cut away about half the one side of my finger from the second knuckle to the tip due to necrosis.  I ended up staying four days in the hospital and it took weeks for the wound on my finger to grow closed.

During the hospital stay the doctor told me that due to my reaction to the antivenom I could only get bit one more time and then they would have to use so much antivenom after that that it would end up being worse than the bite.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Multiple times, all non-venomous.

It's not easy growing up and wanting to be a herpatologist.

I have encountered and handled venomous snakes and never got bitten, I'm guessing because I had more respect for them.

ETA: gartner's, corn snakes, pythons, red tail boa, and a week old anaconda. The red tail hurt the worst.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm smart enough to not screw with venomous* snakes but have been bitten plenty playing Steve Irwin with pets and harmless wild creatures.

* technically speaking,many snakes I have handled and been nipped by are indeed venomous. However,a garter or hognose isn't going to seriously harm anyone. On the other hand,I know the risk of dying from a little European adder is statistically none but I am not going to let one of them bite me to find out just how painful it is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
My uncle was bitten by a small rattlesnake in Kansas. He spent a few days in the hospital. That's all I know.

CSB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Bit by a coral snake when I was fooling around in the woods and caught it.  Was showing off when it broke lose and caught the edge of my thumb. He Was gnawing on it and trying to get through the skin when I flicked it off.  Probably wouldn't be here if he got through 1mm of skin as this was nowhere near any kind of hospital.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I know two people personally who got bit by snakes and both survived. Rattlesnake and Copperhead. Anti-venom treatments for both. The copperhead bit was on my uncle's wife. She was getting on a ridding lawn mower at her mother's house when she felt the strike. Spent two days in a hospital and said the forms she got for her insurance show a $15K bill for the anti-venom. The rattle snake bite was on a guy, he said later that he would never ever take anti-venom again as his reaction to the anti-venom was almost fatal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Coworker's nephew (or her friend's nephew?) got tagged by a rattler at Red Rocks in Colorado.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]
No venomous bites from viperdae or elapidae, because we use tools to handle them, but I have been bitten plenty of times by non-venomous colubrids while collecting out in the field.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
A guy I worked with used to hunt rattlers in the Sierra Nevada Foothills.
He was bitten a couple of times with no ill effects.
He did go to the local hospital for anti-venom.
Big ex-Army ranger type.
He used to clean and BBQ the rattlers, they were some good eating.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was bit by this guy on Hilton Head. Not sure what it was but I survived. It was trying to slither up the wife's pant leg. Pic was after it bit my thumb incase it needed to be identified later. Still interested in what it was.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/1z6fw4o.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a broad-banded water snake.  Harmless, but they can stink up a place.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been bitten by a little garter snake that was so small its mouth couldn't even fit around my finger.  A guy I worked with was bitten by a rattler, but thankfully it was a dry bite.  Noting too interesting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your snake is a water snake.  I've been bitten by lots of non-venomous snakes over the years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If in reply to me good to know. I figured it was non venomous but never found anything similar in a quick search. Wife thought I was nuts picking it up after it bit me but I've handled and moved a few black/blue racers here in the Thumb and plenty of gardeners, the racers can be tricky and I hear their bite can be really painful even though they are not venomous. I tend to avoid them as much as they avoid me but I hate to kill them as they control the mice.

Quoted:

Looks like a broad-banded water snake.  Harmless, but they can stink up a place.
Good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My last landlord got bit twice in about an 8 month span by copperheads. Once on the ass while turkey hunting. He thought he had ssat down on a brier or thorn or something and asked his dad to look at it later when it was still hurting which is when they figured out it was a snake bite. The second one gave him some lingering health issues with his liver or something.
 Ive been bit a ton catching and playing with snakes as a kid but all non venomous. I guess when I was 2 I was having a face to face conversation with a coiled up copperhead when my uncle finally decided to peek out from under the hood of the car he was working on to see who I was talking too.

My grandma liked to tell a story about my dad catching a copperhead once as a kid and it disappeared from a corked bottle never to be seen again,most likely taken out and dispatched by grandpa but my great grandma would never stay over night with them after that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Many years ago i knew someone who was bit by a cottonmouth on the top of his foot.  He was not close to a hospital.

Took him a while to get a ride to the hospital....maybe an hour.

IIRC his lower leg turned blue and swole like a mofo...and took a week to get out....kept the leg amazingly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread needs more pictures.

Taking a leak just as I was starting to hike into Ice House Canyon last summer.  Not sure if I startled it or it startled me more.

Not bitten though.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...plenty of gardeners Garters...
View Quote
Fixed.
----------------------------------------------------

I've been bitten by lots of non-venomous snakes, usually on purpose, because it was an easy way to catch them. (They're trying to get away, so just get a hand on them enough to slow them down, and they turn around to bite. No more chasing).

The only one I have a pic of, is a bite from a Black Rat I used to have. I was doing something
in their cage, probably changing the water, and wasn't paying attention, so when I heard it striking I pulled back a little. Dumb move, because that makes it rip/tear a bit.
Attachment Attached File

It was one of these two;
Attachment Attached File

A month or so later I felt like I had a splinter catching on my shirts, and it turns out I had ripped a tooth out of the snake and didn't know it. It had surfaced enough that I could pull it with tweezers, and put it on a quarter for size reference.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Guy I worked with in the 90's tried to pick up a rattlesnake on the side of the road on his way home from work, got bit on the thumb, decided to ride it out, lost his thumb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I "Knew" a couple of guys a few years ago...

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been bitten literally hundreds of times by non-venomous snakes.  Hand taming baby boas involves bleeding a little.  

It goes like this. Baby snakes do not trust people, and anything descending on them from above is a deadly threat. Birds are the biggest killers of baby snakes.
So, you have a tub of 12 baby snakes.  You want to sell these snakes.  You have to tame them.

So, I would just drop my hand/arm down onto them in the tub.  They would bite me.  Just barely able to draw blood.  You keep doing it.
They eventually (slowly) learn two things.  The hand from above is not a threat, and; They cannot hurt the hand from above.

When they stop striking you have non-bitey snakes.  They sell for the best price.

And I got hacked really good by a large Ball Python. Totally my fault, a stupid feeding error.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#32]
This guy riding a motorcycle gets targeted by a snake.

Snake strikes at motorcyclist
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fixed.
------------------------------------------------
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...plenty of gardeners Garters...
Fixed.
------------------------------------------------
Oops
I'm not a snake guy, thanks for the correction. It was a spell check error also but I thought they were called gartners. Never too old to learn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have been bitten literally hundreds of times by non-venomous snakes.  Hand taming baby boas involves bleeding a little.  

It goes like this. Baby snakes do not trust people, and anything descending on them from above is a deadly threat. Birds are the biggest killers of baby snakes.
So, you have a tub of 12 baby snakes.  You want to sell these snakes.  You have to tame them.

So, I would just drop my hand/arm down onto them in the tub.  They would bite me.  Just barely able to draw blood.  You keep doing it.
They eventually (slowly) learn two things.  The hand from above is not a threat, and; They cannot hurt the hand from above.

When they stop striking you have non-bitey snakes.  They sell for the best price.

And I got hacked really good by a large Ball Python. Totally my fault, a stupid feeding error.
View Quote
Wow had no clue about that!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#35]
A foreman for one of the pipe crews that subs for my company took a moccasin bite to the hand a few years ago... he was the backwoods redneck kind of dude... very nice guy, but red as fuck... he wrapped it in duct tape and kept on working... had to lay in the shade for a little bit about 30 minutes after the bite then got right back to work... never went to the hospital... hand was very swollen for about a week then slowly got better... he wound up with a pretty bad scar on his hand after it healed.
I always thought he was crazy for not having it properly treated... lucky he didn't lose his hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Mother in law got bit by a small copperhead a few years ago.  She ended up in the hospital for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I was bitten.

Gardner snake

Little guy.

Wanted to show someone me picking up a snake. Did so, then stuck my tounge out at it as I held up. It struck actually.

I almost died!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Neighbor managed to get bit by a black rat snake.
FYI, it takes an act of God to get bit by one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Best friend was bitten by a coral snake when he was about 11. He survived. 

I've probably been bitten by a garter snake. 

Had plenty of close calls that resulted in dancing away like Michael Flatley 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#41]
At the gun range. A friend and I were setting up targets and this entailed us moving a rail road tie. As we picked it up to move it I thought to myself "What an odd plce to see a cow pie...

Brain worked and said move hand dumbass...

Was a rattler that then tried to come at hand. I pulled away and I felt its nose hit my thumb.

I stepped back and drew my .45 and shot it.

Only necked the side of neck and didn't kill it.

We taped it to a gong hanger and proceded to chop it up with long rifles from a distance
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Last week I was doing some yard work.   Clearing a brush pile.   Later that night, my leg started to hurt.   I looked and there was a welt about the size of a .50 cent piece.   It had blood in the center.  I thought that I had been pricked by something.  Washed it, and there was two neat holes side by side.   General consensus was that I got bit by a snake.   For about two days my leg/calf felt like I had a really bad Charlie horse.    I didn't get it checked out.  But, was told that if I had been bit by a venomous snake.    I would have known about it.  I still have the two hole scabs on my leg.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I was lucky, stepped next to a small water Moc last summer.
After I passed the guy behind me asked if I saw that snake.
It just crawled off the trail and into the woods.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Been bitten many times.

I'll grab just about any snake I see. 

Black Racers would account for the majority. Not poisonous, but fast as shit and super cranky.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/1z6fw4o.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a banded water snake. Harmless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Been bite by a lot of non poisonous  snakes. Mostly rat snakes. Yes they fight hard and are real easy to get pissy . Ive been struck and hit by a Cotton mouth but it didn't get through the red ball waders I was wearing. I use to rent an old house and and a Black rat snake would go under it and have babies twice a year. I was all the time catching snakes going across the living room all the time . Got some good stories to tell ... WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I kept tree boas for years, it would be easier to list the times I WASN'T bitten dealing with them. I got bit by an adult ball python once, do you know how hard it is to get bitten by an adult ball python? Pretty damn hard. He was in grey and I guess I looked like a mouse.

One funny story. I had a rosy boa decide my ear looked tasty once and clamped down on it, I was wandering around the house for about ten minutes with her clamped to my ear before I  woke up my mom for help. A quick spray of water and she let go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#48]
A second cousin of mine used to be a breeder/milker for a living. He had some crazy venomous slammed. I remember seeing bits years ago that he showed me. I think the most venomous snake he had was an indigo. I know he was bit my at least the cobra that he had and the alligator that he used to keep in his basement.

Oh and he was legally blind
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I lived in West Africa.

Or gardener was bit by a newly hatched Black Mamba. He lived  because (1) it was so freshly hatched it's fangs hadn't fully hardened, (2) he got a small quantity of venom, and (3) he was taken to the embassy where there was the correct anti-venom. I never figured out if he was unlucky to be bitten or lucky to have survived.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#50]
As for the above two posts; indigo snakes are not venomous.  Black mambas do not occur in West Africa, their teeth do not "harden" after hatching, and there has never been a documented bite by one in that region.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top