Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 8:33:35 PM EDT
I'll admit that I like the look of the MOE, and have wanted to pick one up.
I can get one for $900 locally.
The Sport is more like $500.
So, why the huge price difference?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for the current crop of S&W AR's, but I will say that the Magpul edition S&W my Brother in law owns, has a Magpul marked lower. The lower is much different from your standard lowers, in that it has an integral trigger guard, and wide flared magazine well. It looks like the billet lowers that are popular now.

I think it was one of the few ways a person could get a Magpul marked lower.

They might have changed them now and are calling them MOE without the different lowers today, I just don't know. He's had his for 4-5 years now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Moe has Magpul furniture, chrome lined barrel, mid length gas, a different flash hider, and I think that's it.

Sport has a nitrided or whatever barrel with standard furniture and carbine gas.

The MOE Middy is way better. Whether it's $400 better is on you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Sport II at Cabela's the week before the election for just over $600 with tax on sale. Out of the box it hits shit non-stop and currently resides behind my seat as my truck gun. I put a MOE handguard on it to slim it down a cunt-hair and retired my 6920 to the safe. In my first hand experience it's been a good value.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]

My sport II all magpulled out... (well cept for the buttstock.)

I think I picked it up last november around the 650 mark, added all the magpul stuff and with the optic I'm prolly just under 900....

not counting the case and ammo of course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't speak for the current crop of S&W AR's, but I will say that the Magpul edition S&W my Brother in law owns, has a Magpul marked lower. The lower is much different from your standard lowers, in that it has an integral trigger guard, and wide flared magazine well. It looks like the billet lowers that are popular now.

I think it was one of the few ways a person could get a Magpul marked lower.

They might have changed them now and are calling them MOE without the different lowers today, I just don't know. He's had his for 4-5 years now.
View Quote
I think the new ones are a little different.
I know the butt stock is not the same, and maybe the barrel.
Anyway, the one I found is an older one and is new, just been sitting on the shelf a long time.
Oh, not sure about the lower be a Magpul specific, but it and the sport have an integral trigger guard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I noticed the price difference also when I was stocking up on my 'AR-A-Month' marathon before the election. Figured they would go up in value if I wanted to resell them after the election if Killary got in. Now I'm just stuck with a bunch of ARs, but I don't really see it as a problem. Now if the wife found out, it may become a problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Moe has Magpul furniture, chrome lined barrel, mid length gas, a different flash hider, and I think that's it.

Sport has a nitrided or whatever barrel with standard furniture and carbine gas.

The MOE Middy is way better. Whether it's $400 better is on you.
View Quote
Unless something changed, the MOE does not have a chrome lined barrel. It has a nitrated 1:8" twist 5R barrel, at least the one I bought in 2013 was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top