Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2017 8:02:29 PM EDT
Folks..... been thinking long and hard on what I will be exactly campaigning for. So I've kinda made a list.

1. Have the NRA reach out to more Grassroots Organizations. There are plenty of local 2A groups that need support and have a much better understanding about what's going on on the local levels. The NRA needs to network with them. Especially in places like NY, NJ, CA, MD, MA, PR, GU, AS, HI, etc...

2. Have the NRA reach out to other large organizations like Pink Pistols, JPFO, and SAF. DC v Heller happened because of the SAF. The NRA is the 800lbs gorilla. So it is time to let it out of its cage.

3. More Street Level Events. Marches, Rallies, and Protests for better gun laws across the country. The NRA has the ability to pull events together. They need to do it. Fancy suited lawyers and lobbyists in DC and across the country are fine. But sometimes elected officials and bureaucratic rule makers need to see a couple of thousand folks out their windows to remind them who really is the boss.

4. More networking with foreign Gun Rights Groups. The NRA is focused on American issues. But as gun owners across the world. We need to network together. Because attacks on our rights don't just occur within the halls of Congress. They happen at the UN and across the globe. Gun owners in the UK, Australia, Czech Republic, South Africa, Spain, Panama, etc.... we need to work together. Even token support is better than nothing. 

5. More active involvement of NRA members. The problem isn't just in NRA HQ. I got involved in this because I sat on the sidelines and expected the NRA to do the fighting for me. Well, if you want something done you need to do it yourself. As such, I want to get the NRA to start a program that can use the skills and knowledge of the member base. We have millions of members. Many of them are cops, lawyers, doctors, professors, etc.... So one of the things I want to do is create a NRA Pro-Bono Legal Team of Lawyers that are NRA members. They'd fight smaller cases on the local level. Especially in places where we need it. Members get denied/revoked permits to own and carry in plenty of crappy places. Well, If we're gun owners we need to work together. 

6. A more open HQ Staff and Board of Directors. The NRA is made up of members. I would actually like for the NRA to answer questions members have. I know plently of us have emailed and called and not gotten a single response. Enough of that.

7. Direct active support of repealing NFA laws and pushing Constitutional Carry. More active push for National CCW Reciprocity. The shooting generation is changing. MGs, Suppressors, SBRs, AOWs, and SBSs are still restricted in a number of places and the NFA Branch of the ATF is still slow as hell. I want to get the NRA to push for real change when it comes to NFA. Make it a much quicker process if NFA can't be outright repealed. 

8. An active recruitment of Minorities. More outreach to Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, etc.... same with LGBT. 

Folks.... I'm open to suggestions. 

I want to run this campaign as a grassroots thing. YOU ARE THE REASON WHY I'M DOING THIS. I want to be your voice in the NRA. So tell me and give me ideas. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing about .40 or Rhodesia?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish I had something to add but you nailed it
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut Wayne LaPierre's salary.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The amount of butthurt that man causes earns his weight in gold. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a good plan!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
National CCW. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good.

Does the NRA release vote totals? I'd like to see how our 3 fared in this past election.
Whatever Sean Maloney does differently for campaigning might be all the difference it took to get on the BoD.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
publicly declare that 45acp > 9mm
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing about .40 or Rhodesia?
View Quote
Sadly no
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me know when it's time to vote, you got mine!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it.

NRA should reach out more to minorities too. It's not just a club for white guns owners, it's for ALL honest law abiding gun owners.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If this was the NRA

...I'd be a member. No question.

Only thing I'd add is maybe greater cross-promotion among all the shooter sports. Maybe it already works this way, but, being a NRA member gets you special rates on things, the people that place in the sports gets recognition, sort of, we don't care how you shoot it as long as you're shooting- you're family kinda feel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wayne earns his keep. However a younger more "hip" person should take over as the spokesman for the group.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
MiamiJBT, have you heard how the bylaw vote went? 

If it passed, do you think it will significantly affect the signatures you need to gather?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I always got the feeling that the NRA was more about putting money in certain peoples pockets than doing any good for gun owners.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Folks..... been thinking long and hard on what I will be exactly campaigning for. So I've kinda made a list.

5. More active involvement of NRA members. The problem isn't just in NRA HQ. I got involved in this because I sat on the sidelines and expected the NRA to do the fighting for me. Well, if you want something done you need to do it yourself. As such, I want to get the NRA to start a program that can use the skills and knowledge of the member base. We have millions of members. Many of them are cops, lawyers, doctors, professors, etc.... So one of the things I want to do is create a NRA Pro-Bono Legal Team of Lawyers that are NRA members. They'd fight smaller cases on the local level. Especially in places where we need it. Members get denied/revoked permits to own and carry in plenty of crappy places. Well, If we're gun owners we need to work together. 
View Quote

All of that sounds great of course, this one is particularly interesting. NRA currently feels more like a bill and less like a club. I know this isn't exactly what you meant but I'd love to know if there are NRA supporting professionals and businesses in my area to direct my funds to. I don't know if businesses can directly donate to the NRA but if the owner supports it and lists their business I'd definitely run a search and favor them over the competition. Would help to make it more of an involved community and less of a 'bill'.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Grass Roots: Get the Fudds out of the NRA. The guys who said "nobody really owns machine guns" and endorsed the Hughes Amendment--they don't speak for me. I remember seeing these Fudds stab gun owners with their holy-than-thou stance in 1986 on TV about the hole NFA.

I prefer not to be in the NRA because of Fudds who think 2A is about sporting clays & deer hunting, and who think "assault rifles" & "plastic pistols" are an area of compromise. For better or worse, the NRA has a stronger voice than GOA, so I pay dues & send extra cash for the ILA & keep hoping more ARFcommers eventually become NRA members.

The NRA needs MAJOR revamping. The NFA needs to be abolished, along with ATFE.

While I agree world-wide, gun owners should unite, charity begins at home & until the NFA is repealed, I would prefer my money to work in the USA.

Hey, you asked
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like it.

NRA should reach out more to minorities too. It's not just a club for white guns owners, it's for ALL honest law abiding gun owners.
View Quote
Adding to the list
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wayne earns his keep. However a younger more "hip" person should take over as the spokesman for the group.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such as Colion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Make 10mm the official pistol caliber of the NRA.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Such as Colion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such as Colion.
It will be Cox.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you coming to Atlanta
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Could you add getting small arms off of ITAR, or at least a smaller fee for non exporters?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MiamiJBT, have you heard how the bylaw vote went? 

If it passed, do you think it will significantly affect the signatures you need to gather?
View Quote
Regardless of signatures he is gonna need reps from every state to campaign for him
on and off this forum.  

Be ready to get with your HTF and collect the signatures from your area. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All of that sounds great of course, this one is particularly interesting. NRA currently feels more like a bill and less like a club. I know this isn't exactly what you meant but I'd love to know if there are NRA supporting professionals and businesses in my area to direct my funds to. I don't know if businesses can directly donate to the NRA but if the owner supports it and lists their business I'd definitely run a search and favor them over the competition. Would help to make it more of an involved community and less of a 'bill'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see why business can't donate to the NRA. I know Midway USA does. That isn't a bad idea to promote. Get businesses to support the NRA and the NRA will support them. Good idea. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Grass Roots: Get the Fudds out of the NRA. The guys who said "nobody really owns machine guns" and endorsed the Hughes Amendment--they don't speak for me. I remember seeing these Fudds stab gun owners with their holy-than-thou stance in 1986 on TV about the hole NFA.

I prefer not to be in the NRA because of Fudds who think 2A is about sporting clays & deer hunting, and who think "assault rifles" & "plastic pistols" are an area of compromise. For better or worse, the NRA has a stronger voice than GOA, so I pay dues & send extra cash for the ILA & keep hoping more ARFcommers eventually become NRA members.

The NRA needs MAJOR revamping. The NFA needs to be abolished, along with ATFE.

While I agree world-wide, gun owners should unite, charity begins at home & until the NFA is repealed, I would prefer my money to work in the USA.

Hey, you asked
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that. But I do think we need to start unifying across the pond. Doesn't have to be much. But something is better than nothing. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Driving up Friday from Tallahassee... I have to pick up my Father first at the Airport in Tallahassee. He's coming with me. Mrs. Miami_JBT is staying home due to work. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could you add getting small arms off of ITAR, or at least a smaller fee for non exporters?
View Quote
ITAR is something I'm not a fan off. Also Import bans too. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Love the platform.  Love it.

I'm all in to do whatever I can.  I really liked what someone else said about making it a club, more than just a bill you pay every so often.

The only local NRA events I am aware of, other than the occasional basic class, are Friends of the NRA events, which I'm sure are great but again involve fundraising, which is necessary but also the kind of involvement I think people are tired of.  I think people are wanting to donate time, effort.  To better advance your chances of getting on the ballot and then on the board, and to better advance your proposed agenda regardless, maybe we start using our hometown forums to get local meet & greets of NRA members.

A lot of hometowns already do it for arfcom members, but why not make it local NRA guys.  Get to know people, and figure out ways to expand the base of influence one town at a time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Good work OP.

I like the minority/LGBT outreach part.

I think the NRA has given up on states like mine, NJ, and the ones near me and that's a shame because that's what the Anti-freedom gun grabbers are counting on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This.

Good work OP.

I think the NRA has given up on states like mine, NJ, and the ones near me and that's a shame because that's what the Anti-freedom gun grabbers are counting on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Good work OP.

The NRA has kinda given up on States like that and also the Territories. Puerto Rico just fought a hard battle in court for repeal their Restrictive May Issue CCW laws. It wasn't the NRA that fought in the courts. It was the Second Amendment Foundation and the Ladies of the Second Amendment that fought in the Courts in Puerto Rico. But the NRA didn't.

Right now we have cases all across the country and the NRA ain't involved in them. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
While they are good ideas, you will not get anywhere pushing them.  It is no different than Trump claiming he would drain the swamp and 100 days later he is kicking back in the swamp with the establishment and hanging out.  You aren't going to change the NRA establishment and they don't want anyone changing them which is why they put that bullshit bylaw change on the ballot.

The NRA doesn't want to "reach out", that requires work and resources.  They want people to come to them, which requires less work and resources.  The NRA will only allow one official NRA affiliate organization per state.  It is dumb but that is how it is.  That official organization is usually more of the high end sporting club, FUDDS, than anything else.  State level groups generally fight each other, at least on some level.  To avoid getting in the middle things the NRA aligns with only one.  Then the NRA pushes their legislation through that group.  Other groups can go to the NRA and work them with them.  That is how things work at the state level.  Not saying it should be that way but that is how they do it.

Same with Pink Pistols and others.  They co-exist and might partner up on things but each organization has their own agenda and pushing it costs money; so every organization does their own thing.

Foreign countries aren't a part of our fight here.  There should be a Social side of the NRA, one that brings together foreign and local organizations for more of a fun time but that sort of pulls away from the political fights.

You want the NRA to have a free legal team to help smaller cases?  You mean like the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund? https://www.nradefensefund.org/

The establishment won't answer questions.  Your state level affiliate group can relay information about what the NRA thinks.  That is just how they operate.

FUDDS won't push for issues like NFA repeal, so it will not happen.

The social arm should push for recruitment of everyone.  Right now they should be working with the gun manufacturers to put on shooting events to get more people actively enjoying the sport during the salad days, whiles things are cheap.  I don't see that happening.

I appreciate the effort you are putting in and glad you are trying to take an active role.  I would suggest you learn more about the NRA establishment and understand that they resist change just as much as the GOPe does.  They will fight you and defeat you before you even get started.  If the existing board has a reason to stop you, then you have no chance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While they are good ideas, you will not get anywhere pushing them.  It is no different than Trump claiming he would drain the swamp and 100 days later he is kicking back in the swamp with the establishment and hanging out.  You aren't going to change the NRA establishment and they don't want anyone changing them which is why they put that bullshit bylaw change on the ballot.

The NRA doesn't want to "reach out", that requires work and resources.  They want people to come to them, which requires less work and resources.  The NRA will only allow one official NRA affiliate organization per state.  It is dumb but that is how it is.  That official organization is usually more of the high end sporting club, FUDDS, than anything else.  State level groups generally fight each other, at least on some level.  To avoid getting in the middle things the NRA aligns with only one.  Then the NRA pushes their legislation through that group.  Other groups can go to the NRA and work them with them.  That is how things work at the state level.  Not saying it should be that way but that is how they do it.

Same with Pink Pistols and others.  They co-exist and might partner up on things but each organization has their own agenda and pushing it costs money; so every organization does their own thing.

Foreign countries aren't a part of our fight here.  There should be a Social side of the NRA, one that brings together foreign and local organizations for more of a fun time but that sort of pulls away from the political fights.

You want the NRA to have a free legal team to help smaller cases?  You mean like the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund? https://www.nradefensefund.org/

The establishment won't answer questions.  Your state level affiliate group can relay information about what the NRA thinks.  That is just how they operate.

The social arm should push for recruitment of everyone.  Right now they should be working with the gun manufacturers to put on shooting events to get more people actively enjoying the sport during the salad days, whiles things are cheap.  I don't see that happening.

I appreciate the effort you are putting in and glad you are trying to take an active role.  I would suggest you learn more about the NRA establishment and understand that they resist change just as much as the GOPe does.  They will fight you and defeat you before you even get started.  If the existing board has a reason to stop you, then you have no chance.
View Quote
The NRA on the State level in Florida doesn't exist. The NRA is Marion Hammer and she's the United Sportsmen of Florida. Good luck finding anything about them. No membership info. No open meetings. Nothing. Their membership website is a minor sub page on a Seminole County Gun Range.

I know the NRA is like the GOPe. I know it is an uphill fight. Fuck it.... might as well charge at tilting windmills then just sit on my ass. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds good!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LaPierre for BATF director! The meltdown`s on the left  would be epic!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The NRA on the State level in Florida doesn't exist. The NRA is Marion Hammer and she's the United Sportsmen of Florida. Good luck finding anything about them. No membership info. No open meetings. Nothing. Their membership website is a minor sub page on a Seminole County Gun Range.

I know the NRA is like the GOPe. I know it is an uphill fight. Fuck it.... might as well charge at tilting windmills then just sit on my ass. 
View Quote
You should get in contact with Phil Van Cleave, he is the president of VCDL. I bet he would give you all the assistance you want to help get a strong state level gun rights group organized and in action.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah but it's still time for some fresh blood.

No organization that keeps the same guy in charge for 20+ years is as strong as it could be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wish I had something to add but you nailed it
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, that is how it was when I lived in Michigan.  The NRA affiliate was some sportsman group that did nothing.  We built a huge grass roots pro-gun organization that had similar views as the NRA and proved to be effective but the NRA has no interest in changing us to the affiliate.  We could reach out to the NRA and they would help a little but they had no interest in reaching out on their own.  

From what I've seen in all the various organizations that I've belong to is the upper leadership does not want the membership too close and nor do they want to help them be more successful.  They only step in if things are going off the rails.  I'm seeing that with my county GOP party.  The state leadership of the party is doing nothing to help the counties and the counties are doing almost nothing to help the Republican candidates or voters.  Every county is pretty much fending for themselves with no guidance or direction.  Yet they are expected to conduct to deliver for the state party.  It makes no sense that the actual grassroot nodes are on their own but that is how it is.  

My suggestion would be to talk to the other NRA members who are members here and see if you can get some direction.  They might be able to help a little and tell you take a left there and you only have 2 windmills but take a right and you are facing 10.   Again I appreciate the effort you are putting in.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#43]
#7 needs to be moved to #1

NRA is one of the most influential lobbies. Use the influence for change. Start by getting the HPA moving and out of committee. This should be relatively low hanging fruit that willl make a big splash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You should get in contact with Phil Van Cleave, he is the president of VCDL. I bet he would give you all the assistance you want to help get a strong state level gun rights group organized and in action.
View Quote
I have found other state agency resources to be helpful than any national organization.  Each state is a unique scenario though.  Michigan was fairly evenly split but the unions had lots of people voting for Dems.  So it was a constant battle to keep the gun rights and improve on the laws.  Kentucky on the other hand has almost zero anti-gun threats.  No one is taking our guns.  So no one cares about pushing for gun rights.  There is no threat so no one feels called to action.  Organizing a pro-gun group in Kentucky is much harder than it was in Michigan.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Eliminate the phone calls and mail intended to scam old and people people with low education out of money. Don't anybody start with the "but if you tell them not to they won't do it" bullshit. Pushing Chinese made chintzy garbage on the membership needs to stop yesterday, it makes the organization look like some jingoistic qvc knockoff. Make NRA gear real gear that works. Stuff like 5.11 instead of mystery Chinese nylon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would like to see a picture of him posing with a non-FUDD (edit: damn autocorrect!) gun every now and then...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:27:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The NRA has kinda given up on States like that and also the Territories. Puerto Rico just fought a hard battle in court for repeal their Restrictive May Issue CCW laws. It wasn't the NRA that fought in the courts. It was the Second Amendment Foundation and the Ladies of the Second Amendment that fought in the Courts in Puerto Rico. But the NRA didn't.

Right now we have cases all across the country and the NRA ain't involved in them. 
View Quote
So?  NRA's job is to support the shooting sports and lobby Congress, not fight every 2A related court battle for us.  It's not always desirable for a national special interest group to attach their name to a state court case.  NRA often prefers to work through their state affiliates for issues with state law.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Driving up Friday from Tallahassee... I have to pick up my Father first at the Airport in Tallahassee. He's coming with me. Mrs. Miami_JBT is staying home due to work. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will you be wearing JBT gear so we can ID you? Your one great American I'd like to meet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So?  NRA's job is to support the shooting sports and lobby Congress, not fight every 2A related court battle for us.  It's not always desirable for a national special interest group to attach their name to a state court case.  NRA often prefers to work through their state affiliates for issues with state law.
View Quote
Like Flores in Florida? The NRA dues actually do not go to legislative action, that would be the NRA-ILA, which does not receive member dues or donation money unless it is specifically given to the ILA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Have them stop wasting their money on junk mail and dumb gifts Oh, and allow me to actually opt out of the phone calls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top