Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2017 3:30:37 PM EDT
went to the doc sometime last  year..

He mentioned ambien when i  mentioned i  had trouble sleeping.

I said no.. time went  on as normal.  Then this morning I called them up and asked if i could still get it or if i had to go back in .  

she looked up my records and said, sure where do yo want them sent.. ? ( i thinks that a good thing )  

Just  picked them up  from walgreens  during my  lunch  hour

so what am I in for ?

Is it  really this bad  ?
http://thoughtcatalog.com/eric-redding/2016/01/44-people-share-their-crazy-and-dangerous-ambien-horror-stories/

I got 30 10mg tablets if the dose matters any.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it once your already tucked in, under the cvers, head on pillow, not reading or posting.

I took it and started reading Recoil, gf said I told her we were under the ocean and the blanket was water. She was unamused and frightened by my vapid state, even though it was harmless.

Unfortunately unless I take 25-30mg it never felt like much, and I'd end up redosing which wasn't as effective as a substantial enough first dose. But my MD at the time wouldn't prescribe more than 5mg per dose 15 doses at a time, which was fucking useless. So I went back to being a non functional insomniac because people abuse medication.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Ambien is some bad stuff.  Want to fix your insomnia?  If you are a middle aged guy or older, exercise more every day and find the diet that works for you.  It will take awhile because it took you years to get here.

If you are a young guy, it's stress... manage it better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
not good for long term insomnia

try trazodone or hydroxyzine instead
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, we need a first person researcher to give us a blow by blow. You know what to do
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ambien is some bad stuff.  Want to fix your insomnia?  Exercise more every day.
View Quote
I wish someone had told me that a decade ago (sarcasm).

Except it doesn't work for all people. Same goes for no electronic devices in bed, no TV, no lights, no caffeine after noon, no caffeine, ECT ECT ECT ECT ECT.

Every day I get tired an hour later. Except the world doesn't revolve around me and it stays on the same schedule.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to start at half of whatever dose he told you to take. (5mg is a decent starting place)

Try not to take it every night, it is habit forming in the sense that if you quit cold turkey after taking it for a while, you may not sleep well/at all for a few days.

It is not as scary as people say, but if you have a tendency to sleep walk or lucid dream, you might put your car keys in the gun safe before bed just as a preventative measure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone will be able to ass rape you, and you'll never remember it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Give your keys to somebody else, seriously.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay off of Amazon. Unless, of course, you enjoy odd things you don't remember ordering showing up on your doorstep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
do not put your gun or phone on the nightstand either

you may get a call at night and accidentally answer the gun or something, please be careful
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm....."Ambien side effects:......thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself." Soooo, you could possibly feel like performing fellatio on the barrel of your pistol. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Go ahead and take three right now
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What manufacturer?

All the generic are not created equal.

Torrent is good. There are some duds out there but if you've never had it before I guess you won't really know the difference.

Just google the manufacturer and see what you got.

But yea, don't take it until you're ready for bed. Then turn your sleep timer to 30 min on your TV. You'll be out before it turns off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, truth be told, if I were to be ass raped it would not be a fond memory to have.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
In before OP takes a shit in his oven and has sex with the neighbors dog
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do not put your gun or phone on the nightstand either

you may get a call at night and accidentally answer the gun or something, please be careful
View Quote
Hahahahaha I lost it at "answer the gun".

I mean, its not funny if it happened. But "answer the gun"
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trazodone made me so drowsy the next day I couldn't take it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Adult son got hooked on it, took in house rehab to get clean.

Everyone is different but I would say don't start.

Roy
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried it, didn't work out too well, now a days I just pop a Benadryl and drink a couple of beers, out like a log.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ambien is some bad stuff.  Want to fix your insomnia?  If you are a middle aged guy or older, exercise more every day and find the diet that works for you.  It will take awhile because it took you years to get here.

If you are a young guy, it's stress... manage it better.
View Quote
Came to post this.

I had a sleep condition where I couldn't sleep in fear of being woken up by a noise or something. I'd have to give myself at least 3 hours to fall asleep, and I'd wake up every hour or so. I've probably had this problem my entire adult life.

Started working out, eating very healthy, and it's like I did a 180. I'll close my eyes for a second while watching TV at night, and I'll open them and it will be morning. Not sure if it's exactly normal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I took it for a while.  My Dr said what another poster said, take it with your head on the pillow and go to sleep.

I took it one night and remembered I needed to fold the laundry.  By the time I was done, I was fucked up, hallucinating.

That was the last night I took it because I decided all my guns could be a liability while hallucinating.  

It worked great, though.  I slept well and never woke up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In before OP takes a shit in his oven and has sex with the neighbors dog
View Quote
You just solved a mystery in Florida
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It worked great, though.  I slept well and never woke up.
View Quote
For all you know you never did...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Druggie thread
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Others have said this but it is important to repeat: take it after you are in bed.  Unload and lock up your guns until you know how it will affect you.
Most people just go to sleep with it. Some have odd experiences. Many of the odd experiences occur because the user wasn't in bed when they took the ambien.
I know a guy who woke in the morning with a bed full of hot sauce and wing parts and a bullet hole in his wall. He didn't have wings in the house when he got home. He was on his way home and almost there when he took his ambien.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
been taking it for a few years , no side affects, it doesn't work for jet lag though, need something stronger
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Dupe  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1982990_Ambien-Script.html

Lots of good advice in that thread though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Three hours before bed, sprint till you can't sprint anymore, then do it again.  Relax in the living room, than at bedtime go to bed and lights out.

No ambein needed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, have you tried melatonin?  It works great for me.  Sometimes I even take it in the middle of the night, if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.  I often have really strange dreams when I take it, but in a way that I actually look forward to having them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been taking it on and off for years.

What the others have said is true; Take it and go to bed. No TV, no surfing the internet.
Otherwise, there might be some things you do that you will not remember.

And try to make sure you have allocated 8 hours for sleep.
If I take it at midnight and have to wake up at 5:30, I have a bit of a hangover/amnesia type state for a while.
If I get 8 hours, it's all good. Feel rested and ready to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Forget the walrus, you're gonna get the ambien Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Give your keys to somebody else, seriously.  
View Quote
Give them your credit cards to hide as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Take the pill and some water to bed, take the pill and close your eyes and focus on breathing, go for 30sec and 30 sec out.

You will wake up 8 hours later.

My stupid insurance will only give me 15 days of pills for 20 days.  I use unisom for the other 5.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#36]
You'll wake up in a tub full of ice, butt-raped and minus both kidneys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
so what am I in for ?
View Quote

It took my sister 3-4 years to wean off her dependence, and it never really helped that much, mostly just made things worse.

I'm sure you've already looked into alternative methods  (lifestyle/exercise/habits) before delving into medications, so, best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Take it as directed. One other thing - until you know how it affects you, minimize fluid consumption in the evening.  

Get ready for bed, brush your teeth, put on whatever type of sleepwear, and the last thing is handcuff yourself to the bed.

Seriously, I've had chronic, intractable insomnia since I was a teen.  So much so I routinely go more than 48 hours without sleep.  I've taken all kinds of soporifics, and Zolpediem (Ambien) works like a champ- better than Seconal even.  Out like a light for about eight hours, on average.  Only a tiny percentage of people experience somnambulism while taking it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I would try by using a half pill (5mg) first and see how that works.  

I have been on ambien for a few years, 10mg a night....I am trying to taper down to 5mg and eventually get off.  Stuff works great for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish you would have told me that before I tried that crap you mentioned, Ambien been working for me for years, never bought a new truck in the middle of the night, never seen the walrus and always sleep like a baby.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]
The way my mind works, the more I would try and go to sleep the more it would
kick in to overdrive. The walrus and I would be buddies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP, have you tried melatonin?  It works great for me.  Sometimes I even take it in the middle of the night, if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.  I often have really strange dreams when I take it, but in a way that I actually look forward to having them.
View Quote
getting the same effect from doxycycline that I am taking now...sleep decent--more vivid dreams.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Meh.  I just fall asleep.  No shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Take it only when you need to.
Take it and go immediately to bed.
No alcohol with it.
Give yourself plenty of time to get completely awake the next day before driving.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
getting the same effect from doxycycline that I am taking now...sleep decent--more vivid dreams.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One strange thing I get is that I'm often in places that I don't believe that I've ever seen before - completely fabricated in my head, and I remember it in great detail when I wake up.  Very strange, but fascinating.

My wife was prescribed some kind of antibiotics once, that list "night terrors" as a possible side effect.  She took it one time, and had terrible dreams all night.  She called and got put on something else.  I then caught whatever it was that she had, and decided to give them a try.  I learned the definition of night terrors.  It means that all night long, you search frantically and in vain for your wife and young children in a burning house, while someone is chasing you with a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Prepare to drink your own piss and wake up with bad breath
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#47]
The rebound insomnia you'll experience when you decide to quit will be 10 times worse than anything you can imagine. Ask the doc for something else. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For all you know you never did...
View Quote
Did the spinning top fall over?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like someone learned the hard way...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I took ambien continuously for 5 years.  It got me through a tough, stressful work schedule and kept my sanity.  

Don't eat for two hours before taking a dose.  If you eat, it may not help you sleep.

Start with half a tablet.  For the first 2 years, it worked for me.

Plan on being out/sleeping for at least 4 hours.  I could wake up quickly if necessary while on call.

Do not drive if you have taken a dose.  It is hard to predict how quickly you will fall asleep.

I had episodes of half waking and getting a midnight snack.

I miss the walrus....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top