Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 11:11:21 AM EDT
Should a patient have to pay a copay just to come in and get blood test results? They didn't want to tell me what it was over the phone. I feel like I'm getting scammed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty crappy. Mine just calls me with the results.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the practice. There may be some abnormality that they want to discuss with you in person or that may otherwise require counseling and treatment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You might have something that needs to be addressed.  I get regular annual bloodwork at Quest and its available in a few days online.

If you had a cancer or diabetes or psa blood test, that's more serious.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If the doctor needs to go over them with you then I would say it is fair, but I would expect there to be a legitimate reason why he/she needs to discuss them with you and not just be "here's your lab results, see you next time."

My doctor has an online patient portal that I can login to and see lab results as well as any comments or instructions from either him or his nursing staff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would never consider charging a patient to explain test results.
In my mind, you paid for the results when you paid for the labwork
JMHO
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Do they have some kind of user portal you can log into online?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like you have somthing that will warranty another exam and some education on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you meeting the doctor?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would never consider charging a patient to explain test results.
In my mind, you paid for the results when you paid for the labwork
JMHO
View Quote
Agreed...however, if I have to DO something with the lab results (start you on a medicine, etc....)...I'm likely to have you come in to go over the results and what we're going to do to treat the abnormal result.    I don't order tests (or very rarely do) unless I intend to do something with the results (MRI, Bloodwork, etc..)...I'm a Podiatrist, so a DO or MD may do things differently.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The Dr should tell you if there is something that needs to be discussed in person, or they should simply give it to you over the phone/patient portal/email/etc...

Asking for a copay to get otherwise normal results is crap, and would move me to find another Dr.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Doctor that did that years ago for any routine blood work.  I would just wait until the next time I was in the office to review the results as well as take care of any new issues.  Trouble is I only go to see them about once every three years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Interpreting your lab results in light of you medical history and what needs to be done next  is 'work' and the doc incurs liability. Why shouldn't he be paid?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you  results online already?  Most time if I have to go back, there is something he wants to talk about.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed...however, if I have to DO something with the lab results (start you on a medicine, etc....)...I'm likely to have you come in to go over the results and what we're going to do to treat the abnormal result.    I don't order tests (or very rarely do) unless I intend to do something with the results (MRI, Bloodwork, etc..)...I'm a Podiatrist, so a DO or MD may do things differently.

AFARR
View Quote
He spent about 45 minutes going over every thing on the CBC.  Everything was good, by the way, except a little low on the T, which he gave me a shot for.  So I think it was justified for the copay.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems fucked up to make you pay $ just for the results
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He spent about 45 minutes going over every thing on the CBC.  Everything was good, by the way, except a little low on the T, which he gave me a shot for.  So I think it was justified for the copay.
View Quote
If you see the doctor, you pay the copay. I don't charge for nurse or medical assistant interactions. Sounds like he treated you right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#19]
If nothing is far out of line I get a phone call from a nurse usually.

My internist often sends a copy of the results with written comments.

I manage to minimize the sticks by having results sent to multiple doctors.

I have a decent range of panels done every 90 days before seeing the neuro for MS.

A couple of the drugs I take have FDA requirements for 90 day testing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR
uhhh......does he plan on doing anything about the man boobs you are going to get from not taking some type of anti-estradiol regimen?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Depends on the practice. There may be some abnormality that they want to discuss with you in person or that may otherwise require counseling and treatment.
View Quote
This I would expect in person and would be okay with paying a copay… If I would come in and told I was healthy, I would fire the bastard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They didn't want to tell me what it was over the phone.
View Quote

Doesn't sound good.  Anyone call dibs on guns and ammo yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
When my primary physician called me in a few years ago to discuss the results of some test he told me I had cancer. I really felt like he did me a solid when he didn't charge me a copay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had that happen but it was because the blood test showed I had a hypothyroid condition which needed to be discussed and medicated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
sounds like you have somthing that will warranty another exam and some education on.
View Quote
He got da AIDS.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

uhhh......does he plan on doing anything about the man boobs you are going to get from not taking some type of anti-estradiol regimen?
View Quote
I have been reading up on all this stuff since yesterday.  It's complicated.  I tried reading the 300 page thread about it but it is 300 pages long.

Here is what I have discovered, please correct me if I am wrong...

-A shot every 2 weeks is going to keep me on a roller coaster
-I might need anti estrogen, but not always the case?
-I don't care about having any more kids, so some of the other drugs people take with T, I don't need to worry about
-I sit on my balls once a day as it is, so I don't care if my balls shrink
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#27]
You should NOT have to pay for any follow-up if you paid for the initial visit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Obviously the doc wants to go over the results with you. Regardless of the circumstance, it's a "visit" and would require another co pay.

Our co pay is $20. Blood work results, if normal, are give over the phone or an online portal.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
If you come in and speak to the doc, it's counted as an office visit, so yes, co-pay like any normal office visit.

If it's the results of a standing order, like protime, and all he needs to tell you is the number and change your dosage of warfarin (or not), that should be handled on the phone and there should be no office visit or co-pay in that instance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have been reading up on all this stuff since yesterday.  It's complicated.  I tried reading the 300 page thread about it but it is 300 pages long.

-I don't care about having any more kids, so some of the other drugs people take with T, I don't need to worry about
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is going to have hairy man boobs!

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OP is going to have hairy man boobs!

View Quote
?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Edit -

I read further into the thread now and understand why he wanted to see you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He got da AIDS.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49274/OhSnap--190827.jpg
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOO
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much, though I never seen anyone on shots not need anti E drugs, thought I have heard of it.

As far as the timing of the injections, Test Cyp should be inj every week due to it's half life.

I can't remember the Body I.O. podcast but Dr. Mark Gordon maybe, was one there and he uses a compounding pharmacy that will blend Test Cyp and Ethanate so the level of T stays more even, he also uses injectable Zinc to keep Estradiol levels down and a by product of using the Zinc is you don't get sick anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Family Guy - AIDS Song (HQ)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top