Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 7:35:26 AM EDT
U.S. history, world history, math, etc.  I used to be a whiz at this stuff and someone people sought out for answers.  Now?  Holy Christ, I feel borderline functionally retarded.  Yesterday, I needed to figure out the remaining perimeter of a circle with a "pie" piece taken out.  10 years ago that would have been easy, but instead my brain went "I love lamp".  Meanwhile, the guy standing right next to me who is almost double my age rambled off the equation without hesitation.  I think a decent chunk of it is humility stepping into play and realizing I really don't know shit and that I shouldn't talk out of my ass, but a huge chunk really is me forgetting things I knew.

Is this what happens when we get old?  Is this the result of being able to google everything?  Or is this the brain prioritizing what matters?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It's largely relative to the old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it".
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't even understand the questions anymore so you're one up on me.

The older I get the less I care about almost any/everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've felt retarded since birth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
U.S. history, world history, math, etc.  I used to be a whiz at this stuff and someone people sought out for answers.  Now?  Holy Christ, I feel borderline functionally retarded.  Yesterday, I needed to figure out the remaining perimeter of a circle with a "pie" piece taken out.  10 years ago that would have been easy, but instead my brain went "I love lamp".  Meanwhile, the guy standing right next to me who is almost double my age rambled off the equation without hesitation.  I think a decent chunk of it is humility stepping into play and realizing I really don't know shit and that I shouldn't talk out of my ass, but a huge chunk really is me forgetting things I knew.

Is this what happens when we get old?  Is this the result of being able to google everything?  Or is this the brain prioritizing what matters?
View Quote

Early onset Alzheimer's/dementia.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, just the opposite.  I think High School curriculum is different now then when I did it.  My son was amazed when I was able to help him with a fourier series and knew how to do a 4x4 matrix inversion.  I havnt used that crap since Calculus in college.  I use trigonometry every day (plot plans, pile layouts, building inspections, etc. but its real basic stuff (SOH CAH TOA, Area and volume calculation kind of stuff).

I am WAY more forgetful however and ambition/drive is very low on the give a fuk-O-meter......
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
No, but I have become less tolerant of bullshit, Liberals and kids on my lawn...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I can remember how to plot a five hole bolt circle that I last did in high school in the 60's but I can't remember where I put my tape measure that I used last week. Being 70 years old is a pain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually, just the opposite.  I think High School curriculum is different now then when I did it.  My son was amazed when I was able to help him with a fourier series and knew how to do a 4x4 matrix inversion.  I havnt used that crap since Calculus in college.  I use trigonometry every day (plot plans, pile layouts, building inspections, etc. but its real basic stuff (SOH CAH TOA, Area and volume calculation kind of stuff).

I am WAY more forgetful however and ambition/drive is very low on the give a fuk-O-meter......
View Quote
Ha, I at least remember sine, cosine, tangent pretty well.  That one generally blows minds when I use them.

Radians, arcs, etc?  Fuuuuuck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel dumber every day.  

1380 on the SAT.  Now I count on my fingers and like how markers smell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
No, I've noticed people around me have gotten dumber.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
No! I generally feel the world is getting dumber around me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.  I've forgotten more than I remember, and learning new material takes a lot more effort than it used to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#14]
i feel smarter and wier, i help me grandkids with math homevwork.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#15]
NO. Wiser and more knowledgeable.   Just weaker and more frail and easier to get physically hurt now at 54. Aches and pains constantly, weakness, etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
More on the hard drive but the processor is slower.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I feel smarter.  Yes I've lost a bunch of calculus and shit that I don't use but all and all I have more knowledge and I'm better at applying that knowledge then I was when I was younger.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I will add that there was a time I was getting stupid.  I was having trouble learning new things etc.  Then I realized I had undiagnosed sleep apnea.  Once I got that treated I noticed a dramatic improvement in my cognitive abilities.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Not me, the exact opposite, in fact. I feel sharper and more aware of things than I did when I was a younger man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]
42 and at the top of my game, so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top