Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2017 6:34:56 PM EDT
Wow finally relief
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What was it before?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in the hospital, I loved that stuff.

Glad it's helping you!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You must be in some serious pain.  I'm glad your doctor is taking care of you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was it before?
View Quote
Oxycodone 15 mg. I hated it
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nighty night.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow finally relief
View Quote

2mg? Oddly enough, dilaudid does next to nothing for me. I much prefer Oxy for post surgery pain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
How long will it work for before you build up a tolerance?

Can you perform at your job or operate a motor vehicle while taking that medicine?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit is amazing, took my kidney stone pain away in 2 minutes, Vicodin did nothing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
They gave me a shot of that in the ER once. Did absolutely nothing
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty standard migration depending on what's wrong.  Without having a case history...  May want to consider some opioid sparing therapy options as well depending on what's going on.  Long term short acting opioid use can lead you down a path you don't want to travel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You must be in some serious pain.  I'm glad your doctor is taking care of you.
View Quote
Yeah military career cut short. Back is destroyed, I can't stand for 10 minutes and I'm done. Bent over like I'm tying my shoes. I'm very careful with the meds ie: no alcohol intake or sleep meds etc. Not proud to on it, but I can't function without them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Have fun not being able to take a shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How long will it work for before you build up a tolerance?

Can you perform at your job or operate a motor vehicle while taking that medicine?
View Quote
Medically retired and wife drove me to doc today. I took the oxy for years before I got switched.  I think the reason it's working so well as I did build a tolerance to the Oxy. I  never take more than what is prescribed just to make sure I actually have my wife hold my meds and dispense them to me daily. Does not plug me up,
4mg 4 times a day, but I usually make it on 3 a day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a drug to help with that now. It's new as I understand so not sure if its on the market yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Rotation of pain medications is reasonable on chronic pain. Tolerance is not 100% across all opiates so one can get relief simply by switching to and equally strong (2mg dilaudid is equal to about 10 mg oxycodone).  You are actually getting better results with less narcotic and reducing risk of abuse and addiction by switching.  Your doc is no dummy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is a drug to help with that now. It's new as I understand so not sure if its on the market yet.
View Quote
Movantik and Relistor tablets are direct antidotes to opiate induced constipation. They reverse opiate action in the gut without reducing pain control because they do not cross into the brain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
They gave me dalaudid after some surgery, and after a couple of days it gave me horrible headaches.  The headaches were so bad I asked for a different medication, but I had to wait about eight hours for the dalaudid to get out of my system before the headache went away.

I learned that headaches often happen with that medication.  I can take it for a day or two if needed, but those headaches really frighten me, so I am very leery of taking it for longer than two days now.

Grapes work great combatting the constipation....some times they work a little too well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I end up getting is a few times a year. Makes the days in the Hospital fly by. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rotation of pain medications is reasonable on chronic pain. Tolerance is not 100% across all opiates so one can get relief simply by switching to and equally strong (2mg dilaudid is equal to about 10 mg oxycodone).  You are actually getting better results with less narcotic and reducing risk of abuse and addiction by switching.  Your doc is no dummy.
View Quote
Good information, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have Crohns and I love being on Opiates because for once I'm not shitting myself constantly 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I was getting a full mg of Dilaudid IV every 2 hours for the first day or so after my hip replacement.  (I went into surgery with a pretty good tolerance for opiates.)

I had to almost beg the medical staff to cut my dosage and get me on oral pain meds so I could get the f*** out of there.

The stuff works!  Use appropriate caution, such as not taking more than you really need and reducing the dose when you are able to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd stay far away from that stuff outside of a a very short term hospital setting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I like injected dilaudid - it was very effective for me. The oral dilaudid just made me feel drowzy and a little nauseous. Maybe dose related... but still.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#24]
10 times more powerful than Morphine, be careful breathing is important.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have Crohns and I love being on Opiates because for once I'm not shitting myself constantly 
View Quote
I can dig it
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Movantik and Relistor tablets are direct antidotes to opiate induced constipation. They reverse opiate action in the gut without reducing pain control because they do not cross into the brain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info on the names I did not remember. I did a show for one of the companies making it several years ago and could not recall. I do recall the drug company presentation stating that something about molecule size not being able to cross the blood brain barrier so the opiate still worked in the brain but was negated in the rest of the body. Neat stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shit is amazing, took my kidney stone pain away in 2 minutes, Vicodin did nothing.
View Quote
Took more like 90 seconds for me when I had a huge kidney stone.  The time to drop pain from an 11 down to 0 was amazing.   While in hospital or the ER is only time they have given it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I to was on IV dilaudid after major reconstructive surgery.  Pain pump and bolster shots every 4 hours.  IV it worked like a charm but the oral meds 2mg and 4 mg didn't touch the pain when they took me off the pain pump.  It was so bad they had to put me back on IV and keep me in the hospital longer. There is no use for "home" IV dilaudid...way to dangerous but the oral stuff is nothing like the IV stuff.  SubQ isn't even close to IV for that matter.  FWIW I had no trouble coming off the oral dilaudid after the first 90 days
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
5-7 times per most of the literature and if it not sedating by itself and not mixed with other drugs and/or alcohol the risk is minimal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info on the names I did not remember. I did a show for one of the companies making it several years ago and could not recall. I do recall the drug company presentation stating that something about molecule size not being able to cross the blood brain barrier so the opiate still worked in the brain but was negated in the rest of the body. Neat stuff.
View Quote
You are exactly correct. They address the cause of the problem and do not come with the pain and cramping that stimulant laxatives have
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are correct, but where morphine might be prescribed in say 30mg dose, the hydromorphone is dispensed to me in 4mg dose so it's kind of a wash if that makes sense. Tried morphine, but I itch like I have crabs
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I am sorry to hear that you are in that much pain.  I had a tonsillectomy a couple of years ago.  They gave me dilaudid pills, and liquid lortab.  I never felt relief from the dilaudid, until I blew a clot out and had to stay in the hospital overnight.  IV dilaudid is the Devil.  The first IV injection had my chin in my chest before the nurse finished injecting it.  I had those nurses in there every 3hours and 55 mins.  That made me realize why people could be junkies with their arm about to fall off.  Be careful with it and continue to let your wife administer them.  An addiction to that is a terrifying thought.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I have dilaudid right now too.

On a wound vacuum for a wound in my leg - hydrocodone for pain maintenance and dilaudid for when they change the dressing out. It helps very much, but I'm definitely not taking it when I'm not supposed to. That's powerful stuff - you can feel it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife had An allergic reaction to dilaudid two days ago and almost died . Be careful .
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You are correct, but where morphine might be prescribed in say 30mg dose, the hydromorphone is dispensed to me in 4mg dose so it's kind of a wash if that makes sense. Tried morphine, but I itch like I have crabs
View Quote
Morphine feels like ants crawling up my neck into the back of my skull.    I got that when I crushed my thumb.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Getting the "D" eh? I take a mix of 40mg of oxy and 30mg of methadone a day. I wish I could knock it down to a couple dilaudid a day....it was the only one that actually works for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My wife had An allergic reaction to dilaudid two days ago and almost died . Be careful .
View Quote
Sorry to hear that, I hope she's okay . I'm really careful with the meds and go as long as possible before dosing again. I can go as long as 8-9 hrs between on a good day because it lasts so much longer than the other med I was on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a lot of misinformation about opiate respiratory depression.   The driving force of respiration is CO2 levels as measured in the carotid sinus and controlled in the medulla in the brain.   As CO2 levels rise, we involuntarily take a breath. Opiate activation of µ-opioid receptors at specific sites in the central nervous system including the pre-Bötzinger complex, a respiratory rhythm generating area in the pons can reduce the respiratory response in the brain.   The more opiates one has on board, the higher the CO2 levels must be before one takes a breath.  Now, there also is a conscious effort to breathing as well. Quote often, patients in the recovery room have to be "reminded" to breathe as their automatic system is impaired. However, they don't know they have to breathe because their brain is not getting that signal about the rising CO2.

Thus, if a person is gasping for air, and saying that they can't breathe, it's not the opiate.  Under opiates they don't know they have to breathe and it doesn't bother them.
Secondly, the level of opiates needed to blunt the respiratory response comes with a level of sedation so if someone is alert and awake and carrying on a conversation, they are not in danger of opiate induced respiratory depression.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Imodium is an opiate
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Imodium is an opiate
View Quote
Gives me terrible cramps. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There is a lot of misinformation about opiate respiratory depression.   The driving force of respiration is CO2 levels as measured in the carotid sinus and controlled in the medulla in the brain.   As CO2 levels rise, we involuntarily take a breath. Opiate activation of µ-opioid receptors at specific sites in the central nervous system including the pre-Bötzinger complex, a respiratory rhythm generating area in the pons can reduce the respiratory response in the brain.   The more opiates one has on board, the higher the CO2 levels must be before one takes a breath.  Now, there also is a conscious effort to breathing as well. Quote often, patients in the recovery room have to be "reminded" to breathe as their automatic system is impaired. However, they don't know they have to breathe because their brain is not getting that signal about the rising CO2.

Thus, if a person is gasping for air, and saying that they can't breathe, it's not the opiate.  Under opiates they don't know they have to breathe and it doesn't bother them.
Secondly, the level of opiates needed to blunt the respiratory response comes with a level of sedation so if someone is alert and awake and carrying on a conversation, they are not in danger of opiate induced respiratory depression.
View Quote
Is this tied into or related to sleep apnea? I have both obstructed and central sleep apnea, and have been using a ASV CPAP machine for about ten days. I went from 111.7 events per hour to 2.9 events per hour. Definitely have more energy during the day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is this tied into or related to sleep apnea? I have both obstructed and central sleep apnea, and have been using a ASV CPAP machine for about ten days. I went from 111.7 events per hour to 2.9 events per hour. Definitely have more energy during the day.
View Quote
I don't think it is directly. Opiates reduce respiratory drive by affecting the CO2 regulatory center. Sleep apnea is usually obstructive.  Most likely you are sleeping better because you are more comfortable
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't think it is directly. Opiates reduce respiratory drive by affecting the CO2 regulatory center. Sleep apnea is usually obstructive.  Most likely you are sleeping better because you are more comfortable
View Quote
When they have me on Dilaudid in the hospital they make me wear an oxegen mask at night. 02 levels in my blood drop. I don't understand why it does that. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#44]
[Removed - Paul]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Doctor gave me dilaudid for kidney stones.

"This will fix it"he said.

Got some reason, it literally didn't do anything.

I was praying for death for a couple days.  My normal painkiller for migraine was a lot more effective, I always wondered if I got a bad batch or something.

Fairly useless in my limited experience.glad it's working for you
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#46]
The absorption rate of Dilaudid and Morphine when taken orally is about 50% of whatever dose your taking. The oral version is nothing like the IV version. Hope you get relief, watch your bowels
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I had that one time. I went to the ER with the worst pain I've ever had and the doctor gave me 6mg intravenously. I'm told that within 10 minute I was laughing and flirting with the nurses . I can absolutely see how people get addicted to that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pretty standard migration depending on what's wrong.  Without having a case history...  May want to consider some opioid sparing therapy options as well depending on what's going on.  Long term short acting opioid use can lead you down a path you don't want to travel.
View Quote
Like where?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#49]
YAY!!!!  Tell us what we gotta say to get the good stuff!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

YAY!!!!  Tell us what we gotta say to get the good stuff!  
View Quote
Well, for me, the hockey-puck sized wound hole in my leg did the talking. I don't recommend going this route.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top