Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 4:23:25 PM EDT
Ok, today is technically the second time I shot it (I took it out last week, put 30 rounds through it and could not get it to zero. I assumed I just sucked, but came home and found out that the scope mount screws (installed from the factory) had come loose. Bought a FAT wrench and torqued everything to proper specs when installing the new 20MOA mount.)

About 95% of my rifle experience to date consists of mag dumping ARs with red dots at silhouette targets at <50 yards. I decided I wanted to give precision shooting a try and eventually, when I get good enough, try long ranges.

So two weeks ago I bought a Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. Added the following:

-EGW HD 20MOA mount (Factory mount is 0MOA)
-EGW 30MM rings
-Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP
-Holland's anti-cant level
-Atlas bipod
-APA Little Bastard muzzle brake

Took it out today and got it zeroed at 100 yards. Then proceeded to shoot eight 5-shot groups.

Most of the groups are shitty. However I have three I'm very happy with for my first time playing with a rifle with a magnified optic.

I have feeling this new hobby is going to get very expensive very quickly. But it sure is fun and challenging.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice shooting!  You should try the 1-MOA All Day challenge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Fun, ain't it? Good exercise, too. Send five downrange, walk to target, replace it, and walk back, then send another five.

Reward yourself with a mag dump after six cycles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fun, ain't it? Good exercise, too. Send five downrange, walk to target, replace it, and walk back, then send another five.

View Quote
Thankfully on 24x at 100 yards I can see all the hits from the bench.

Next week I'm gonna try the 300 yard range though. So I'll be burning a few calories
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice shooting.  I have an almost identical setup save that I also swapped the stock and grip.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Love Savage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Next week I'm gonna try the 300 yard range though. So I'll be burning a few calories
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOOD spotting scope ( at least 60x), nice white paper, and just aiming point.  Will save you some walking time once zeroed at 300.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent work OP!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!!! You're right about it getting expensive!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a very similar setup.  

Same scope but SFP, stock mount, SWFA rings and Magpul K Grip, UTG bipod (for now).  My muzzle device is a Griffin minimalist 30 cal brake with attached Recce 7.

I've shot it twice and it was way too easy to ring steel at 500 yards the second time out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Long range is fun.

Love ringing steel at ranges there is a 2+ second delay from the shot to hearing the ping.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome!!! You're right about it getting expensive!
View Quote
I'm already making sure to save every piece of brass. Once I get enough, I'm going to starting reloading for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Great job! FYI to any other stealth owners out there... Mine had only 1 out of the 4 base screws tight from the factory!  I read another thread about a new stealth owner with a similar experience...and now the OP is reporting loose screws... I love my savage and it shoots very well now with a properly tighted base but check those screws before shooting guys...savage apparently doesn't!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
save up for a spotting scope
also the black shoot n see targets are better for seeing your hits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice set up. 6.5C is a fun cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm already making sure to save every piece of brass. Once I get enough, I'm going to starting reloading for it.
View Quote
Lol, I actually typed out a longer reply to your op asking if you were planning on loading for your rifle. I enjoy loading almost as much as I do shooting.

It looks like your off to a great start and you'll only get better at it from here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great job! FYI to any other stealth owners out there... Mine had only 1 out of the 4 base screws tight from the factory!  I read another thread about a new stealth owner with a similar experience...and now the OP is reporting loose screws... I love my savage and it shoots very well now with a properly tighted base but check those screws before shooting guys...savage apparently doesn't!
View Quote
Yeah after I discovered the problem I googled it and saw it was fairly common.

Now that everything is torqued properly with a bit of blue loctite it seems to be shooting great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top