Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2017 3:44:31 PM EDT
I was thinking of trying to locate a stand alone machine cheap from a restaurant closing down or something.

I would only turn it on and start cranking out ice if it looked like a hurricane was heading this way.

I could fill all my coolers and keep replacing melted ice up until the power goes out.

Better than trying to find bags of ice at gas stations or grocery stores. Those sell out quick if a storm is 3 or so days out and heading this way.

I also have a chest freezer I could fill up with my own bags of ice and keep ready to roll for storms.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go the chest freezer route.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You could pick up another cheap freezer and make/store block ice as well.  Lasts longer than cubes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two where I work, they are water cooled and use a ton of water. Probably would not do well sitting around not working.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Any "cheap" used ice machine you get from a restaurant is going to be a clapped out, old crusty turd that has had every last nickel of value squeezed out of it. Ice machines are expensive, except for some of the small Chinese ones that go for $1000-$2000.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get ones that you put a jug of water on and can make 40 pounds of ice in an hour. I think I saw it for about $400 CAD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was thinking of trying to locate a stand alone machine cheap from a restaurant closing down or something.

I would only turn it on and start cranking out ice if it looked like a hurricane was heading this way.

I could fill all my coolers and keep replacing melted ice up until the power goes out.

Better than trying to find bags of ice at gas stations or grocery stores. Those sell out quick if a storm is 3 or so days out and heading this way.

I also have a chest freezer I could fill up with my own bags of ice and keep ready to roll for storms.
View Quote
Just buy a chest freezer and fill it with gallon jugs of water. Stays frozen longer than cubes and you can drink it when it thaws. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could pick up another cheap freezer and make/store block ice as well.  Lasts longer than cubes.
View Quote
This.  Pre freeze ice in buckets and cups of various sizes to use in your various coolers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Im getting one for my downstairs bar in the new house build. From what I can find, it looks like a under counter model is gonna be at least $500 for a nice one.

A commercial model would be cool except they are huge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had them, but I don't think what you want is practical unless you want more than a just in case ice machine. They do make higher quality ice than a typical in freezer icemaker.  
Sub Zero makes some nice residential ones, and you can find noisy ones for much cheaper.
You'll need to run electricity, fresh water, and a sewer line (for melted ice) to it.  
If I know a hurricane is coming I fill 2 liter coke bottles and tupperware with water and freeze them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This.  Pre freeze ice in buckets and cups of various sizes to use in your various coolers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, this is probably the way to go.

I will fire up the chest freezer next month and start freezing gallon water jugs.

Do I need to pour a little water out of the jugs to keep them from bursting?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
For the price you could buy mass quantities of dry ice every time there is a hurricane and come out way cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, this is probably the way to go.

I will fire up the chest freezer next month and start freezing gallon water jugs.

View Quote
Likely so. Shouldn't take much. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
We had one for the boat for filling the fish chests for offshore and long day trips.

Came from my step-mothers coffee shop that went out of business.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Letting an ice machine sit idle and then only cranking it up when you need would also more than likely have bacteria/contamination issues as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Letting an ice machine sit idle and then only cranking it up when you need would also more than likely have bacteria/contamination issues as well.
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can just buy packages of bottled water and put them in your freezer.  The bottles warp but they don't bust.  Then you have fresh water to drink or can use them as ice bottles if you need to cool something.  I bought a chest freezer and put multiple packs of water in the bottom to fill the area.  No one wants to dig to the bottom of a freezer to get anything out anyway so the space really isn't wasted plus it acts as a additional cooling if the power ever did go out.  Then worst case if the power is out long enough that everything thaws I still have clean portable drinking water
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
As someone that sold new and used restaurant equipment for close to a decade.....don't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a commercial machine on the side of my house. I love it. One of the best ridiculous purchases I ever made. I'm about 90% certain it's a Hoshizaki, I'll have to go look at it to be sure. Mine makes 1200 lbs every 24 hours... with an 800 lb bin. You can fill coolers all day every day and the machine will keep up. I put it on the outside of my house because partially because of the heat, but mainly so friends and family can come over and use it. I think I paid $800 for the whole thing, IIRC, and $100 for a refrigeration guy to give it a once-over and plumb the lines.

If you like boating/fishing/camping get one and never look back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep had a good size one at the fishing camp, it crapped out so we need another one.

350lb head, 500lb bin I think.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have two where I work, they are water cooled and use a ton of water. Probably would not do well sitting around not working.
View Quote
They are huge maintenance hogs too.

The one we have at work was $1400 and eats up a $400 per quarter maintenance contract to stay running.

A chest freezer with 2 liter bottles pre-frozen would be cheaper and more versatile.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The one we have at work was $1400 and eats up a $400 per quarter maintenance contract to stay running.

A chest freezer with 2 liter bottles pre-frozen would be cheaper and more versatile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen! Every commercial ice machine I have been around, probably 5-6 of them, is always constantly needing work done to it to keep it producing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've worked on the occasional ice maker in restaurants and hotels, they're downright nasty. Mold, hair, dirt, bugs etc. Plan on setting aside at least 8 hours to clean/disinfect it. Also not sure how reliable it will be with intermittent/occasional use...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Amen! Every commercial ice machine I have been around, probably 5-6 of them, is always constantly needing work done to it to keep it producing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to get one. Then I read about the constant maintenance that's not cheap and passed. I really wanted one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep a chest freezer in the basement and fill bags of ice from my freezer/refrigerator and store them in it.  Plenty for what I will ever need.

If I need a large unplanned volume, I just go to the firehouse and steal their ice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Less than $2K for some 65lb models.

We have a massive commercial one at the Lodge.  Cost $5K in Costa Rica.  $2.5K in the US (without the bin).
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a commercial unit (Manitowoc) in my shop.  It's constantly fucked up and takes a lot of maintenance and money to keep it going.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Small one on craigslist, I guess for a home bar or something.

If I wasn't in a hurry, and started now, I could probably have the chest freezer full of my own 1 lb bags of ice by hurricane season with something like this.

The frozen water bottles thing seems easier though.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/app/6088186104.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just do it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
My experience with ice machines in research labs is that they require a lot of maintenance. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can just buy packages of bottled water and put them in your freezer.  The bottles warp but they don't bust.  Then you have fresh water to drink or can use them as ice bottles if you need to cool something.  I bought a chest freezer and put multiple packs of water in the bottom to fill the area.  No one wants to dig to the bottom of a freezer to get anything out anyway so the space really isn't wasted plus it acts as a additional cooling if the power ever did go out.  Then worst case if the power is out long enough that everything thaws I still have clean portable drinking water
View Quote
I do this when I travel. I buy bottle water and I'll prechill most, and freeze 20% of the bottles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a small RCA brand stand alone ice maker for my liquor bar at the house, and I do mean it's small! It was about $100 on Amazon. I only use it to make enough ice for drinks but it's rated to make about 26 pounds in a day, which is technically enough to fill a medium size cooler.

You may need something a little bigger, or just get two of the kind I have. Nonetheless, it kicks out about a cup of ice every 6 minutes and I've been impressed with it so far.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a small RCA brand stand alone ice maker for my liquor bar at the house, and I do mean it's small! It was about $100 on Amazon. I only use it to make enough ice for drinks but it's rated to make about 26 pounds in a day, which is technically enough to fill a medium size cooler.

You may need something a little bigger, or just get two of the kind I have. Nonetheless, it kicks out about a cup of ice every 6 minutes and I've been impressed with it so far.
View Quote
Interesting. I might buy one at that price just to be able to supplement other ice supplies.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INXG9MY?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Interesting. I might buy one at that price just to be able to supplement other ice supplies.
View Quote
Just buy a walk-in freezer from a restaurant that goes out of business. Then, build an outdoor shed to contain the walk-in freezer. Build up your ice cube inventory day by day. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one. Same color and all... by the way, it comes with an ice scooper already so don't buy the extra one they're trying to sell with it.

I'll try to remember to take and post a shot of mine when I get home later.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's the one. Same color and all... by the way, it comes with an ice scooper already so don't buy the extra one they're trying to sell with it.

I'll try to remember to take and post a shot of mine when I get home later.
View Quote
Walmart has them locally, the online Walmart price is $89 as well, but the in-store price is probably higher. Not sure if they price match their website, but I can have it shipped here for free.

I see I can buy 100, 10 lb ice bags online for not much money, I might go with this and start slowly making my own 10 lbs bags of ice and put in the freezer, along with frozen water bottles mentioned above.

ETA: Just bought it on Amazon with Prime shipping, will get it Wednesday.

It will give me an excuse to sit out in the garage, making ice and surfing arfcom.

Gonna order the bags now too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just buy a walk-in freezer from a restaurant that goes out of business. Then, build an outdoor shed to contain the walk-in freezer. Build up your ice cube inventory day by day. 
View Quote
A walk-in freezer will cost hundreds a month to run.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it can sure hold a lot of dead hookers!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, but have you seen the price of meat-hooks lately?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is a review of that icemaker on amazon, he is filling 8 lbs bags in a few hours, I ordered 10 lb bags, so I can probably knock out several on a rainy day or 1 a day after work.

"I have no problems with it yet...Amazed at how quickly ice is made, it makes ice in about 6-7 minutes, my other ice maker made ice every 9 minutes. And this one is much quieter than the one I had before and others that I have heard running before. Ordered me some ice bags off of Amazon and can fill up a 8lb ice bag to full in a couple hours so I'm happy to keep extra 8lb bags of ice handy for the upcoming summer."
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Water cooled ice machines make up maybe 5% of the market, if that, but yeah they use crap loads of water.  Nobody uses them unless there are noise/heat concerns.

I'm surprised at all the people in this thread saying Ice machines are maintenance hogs.  Either you all have some ancient POS ice machines (10+ years old) or expect perfect reliability with no upkeep.  New ice machines from any of the 4 big brands (except Scotsman maybe) should be pretty reliable.  The problems come when people think their ice machine should run 20 hours a day and go years without ever being cleaned or maintained.  Cleaning it is not hard and is generally something customers can do themselves but they either manage to screw it up or say sure, I'll do it and then won't do it out of laziness and then are upset when their machine stops working.  

Twice a year is the recommended interval.  The only places i've seen that need more than bi-annual cleanings are places like subway, bars and strip clubs.  Establishments with lots of yeast floating around in the air.  

I had a Manitowoc IY500 in my garage for 5 years.  It had no problem with occasional usage or bateria growth.  I purged the water trough when I was done using it though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here is a review of that icemaker on amazon, he is filling 8 lbs bags in a few hours, I ordered 10 lb bags, so I can probably knock out several on a rainy day or 1 a day after work.

"I have no problems with it yet...Amazed at how quickly ice is made, it makes ice in about 6-7 minutes, my other ice maker made ice every 9 minutes. And this one is much quieter than the one I had before and others that I have heard running before. Ordered me some ice bags off of Amazon and can fill up a 8lb ice bag to full in a couple hours so I'm happy to keep extra 8lb bags of ice handy for the upcoming summer."
View Quote
Here it is, as promised. It's not very big at all - fits under the bar just right.

I made the bar myself, btw.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#42]
This caught my eye last year... Tempting, but haven't pulled the trigger... $500 - Makes "Sonic" ice...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Here it is, as promised. It's not very big at all - fits under the bar just right.

http://i.imgur.com/3SfcWPf.jpg

I made the bar myself, btw.
View Quote
Nice bar!

I get the ice machine tomorrow, once I get the ice bags, I will get busy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#44]
My ice strategy for hurricanes will probably be something like this:

Dedicate the Yeti as a 'mother' cooler. Only stores ice, and only opened to replenish melted ice in other coolers.

The ice machine will crank out ice to replenish the 'mother' cooler while I still have power. Hell, I have deep cycle batteries and solar panels, I could probably run it off an inverter as well with the power out.

I am on well water, and the well has enough pressure to get water from it without the electric pump having power.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ice machine that is not used, will tear up. You can't plug and play like other machines, and it has to be emptied on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#46]
A lot of restaurants are starting to lease ice machines, we are.

We had an 9 year old Manitiwoc, 6 year old Hoshizaki, and a 5 year old brand I can't remember. All three started giving us issues so we went with leased units and lease for all new locations. Its nice to know its not our problem when it goes down and the company reimburses us if we have to order ice -- it's about $120 for 500lbs delivered.

So if you want one, and see one used, make sure its a not a huge turd.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I have been talked of trying to locate a commercial type ice machine.

Wonder how hotels keep up with it? A big hotel has a few per floor, and many floors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Hotels have dedicated maintenance crews, some of the are 24/7, that can service them whenever needed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#49]
My experience with them is that you need to keep them clean and making ice to avoid shit breaking.  When they sit idle is when you run into issues.  One of the local bars on the river has one outside that they let the neighborhood folks get ice from whenever we want, since it keeps the machine running.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
This seems like a lot of work when you can just buy a stand by generator to power your house if the power goes out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top