Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2017 3:35:02 PM EDT
I've had 2 phone interviews within the past few months.  Both are positions I am more than qualified for, however they in a different field with a similar concentration to what I do now.

At the end of each initial screening, I've been asked what salary I would accept.  

My answer both times has been "What is your range for this position?".  The answer has been that they don't give a range.  My next reply is "I'd be willing to entertain your offer", to which the reply is "You have to give us a number or we can not move you forward".

I am unfamiliar with the salary ranges of these positions.  

Yes, I've researched glassdoor, and indeed, my google fu is strong.  The challenge comes in that this position is paid per diem and not like a tradiational FT position.  The work is somewhat sporadic, 2 weeks one month, 4 weeks the next.

In for the wisdom of GD.

In before 87.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Aim for the highest bracket and you might be surprised!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, sounds like they will be fucking assholes to work for, so go in on the high side...

Its bullshit, they are trying to get you as cheap as possible....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Figure out what you need to make and give them a number that's 40% higher than that number.

If they're not going to pay you enough to live, why bother?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
A. I fucking hate that this is the trend in hiring...I completely get why they do it, but it's very car-salesman. "What kind of monthly payment can you afford?" Exactly the same trap.

B. I'd answer honestly if they're adamant about making it the first hurdle of the interview process. Decide what you're worth, and give them a figure. If they balk, well, guess what? You weren't going to be happy there anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd just tell them what I needed and be happy if they came back with that number. I would always leave wiggle room also.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
How aggressively you price yourself should be based on how bad you want/need the job.

If you're comfortable now, let them know what it will take for you to make a move.

If you're unemployed and opportunities are scarce, maybe be a little more conservative.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There is only one answer you can give- the actual salary range you think this position is worth in your area.  If they are going to underpay you then it's pretty obvious why there is an opening in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I fucking hate that question, and hiring people that use it are cockholes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats kind of a chickenshit move on their part, they know what the going rate is for that position in the industry and they're hoping you'll shortchange yourself in an effort to get hired.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My .02....

I own a business, I have lot's of employees.  I know exactly what I can pay for what duties.  I would be weary of a company that will not tell you what the position pays:

1- they have no idea what the position should pay, meaning this position is likely new and they made up the duties out of their ass and will dump a bunch of shit on you.
2- they are trying to see how cheap they can get you, which means they are not looking at you as a team member and investment.  Just a worker bee.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Try salary.com Then go on the high side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
i once was hiring a position that was paying about $150k base, the candidate said anything around $80-100k was good. 

eta: what position is it and in what approx part of the country, makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Such a fucking stupid way to do business.  If someone lowballs themselves because they are desperate they're just going to jump ship once something better comes along.  If someone has a salary range that is just beyond what the company would ever pay for that position, why are they wasting everyone's time with interviews?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you think youre genuinely worth?
What value do you have?

Add 15% and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
All the hospitals around here do that. They love to ask your last salary and pretend like they're doing you a huge favor by hiring you at a dollar more an hour too. I'm pretty sure it's some stupid screening test the idiot HR workers came up with. Just give them a reasonable number. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Last time I was asked this, I told the HR person that "I'm sure the salary is competitive for the job and responsibilities and it will be fine".  She then proceeded to give me sort of an idea of where things would be without getting specific, but we agreed we were in the same ballpark and we could get specific later.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
They must have run into a road-block with H1B hires.

Don't be a rube, if you have the skills high-end them and make them pay you for your skill-set. If they are really that interested in you they can pay what you want, counter-offer, or pass altogether.

If they counter-offer they are at least showing more than passing interest in you. If they pass you are likely better off anyway as they just thought they could get you cheap.....And you will be just as disposable to them too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell them whatever number you need to be happy doing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, sounds like they will be fucking assholes to work for, so go in on the high side...

Its bullshit, they are trying to get you as cheap as possible....
View Quote
Not a business owner, eh? 

OP, there's tons of wage/salary info out there on the internet. See what the prevailing wage is and decide what you're willing to accept. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]
If I tried to sell you a car for half of what it's worth you would be cautious about buying it and you would ask what was wrong with it, right?

They will be determining what you are worth by what you tell them that you are worth. Give them a number that you would be happy earning. They can always offer you less. They will never offer you more that what you asked for.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I assume you over-pay your employees then? Of course not. Don't be obtuse.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guessing you are?  So, here is the question.

Are you looking for the best fit, or an acceptable fit at a cheaper rate?

I'm fine losing out to a better candidate.  Losing because I wasn't the lowest bidder is a little different.

Bidding on positions makes me question the company.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Really lucky I don't have an HR department to worry about.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The last time I was asked this I got the job. I knew that I was moving from a higher paying industry to a lesser one, but the work is better and more enjoyable so it was worth the move.

When asked, I phrased it that I would "like to be at $$$ amount, but I am open to negotiation."

If you are not being headhunted, this will allow them to check mark the box on their HR form that says they need a number, and yet still leave them open to negotiation so that you don't get passed up if you are above their pre-determined maximum.

If you are being headhunted however, shoot high and stay adamant. Obviously you have something they want, so make them really want it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I assume you over-pay your employees then? Of course not. Don't be obtuse.
View Quote
I think you missed it. He was implying that it is somehow bullshit to try to keep wage expense down and that paying as little as you can for a new employee is somehow morally defunct.

Obtuse? Really? 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My .02....

I own a business, I have lot's of employees.  I know exactly what I can pay for what duties.  I would be weary of a company that will not tell you what the position pays:

1- they have no idea what the position should pay, meaning this position is likely new and they made up the duties out of their ass and will dump a bunch of shit on you.
2- they are trying to see how cheap they can get you, which means they are not looking at you as a team member and investment.  Just a worker bee.
View Quote
^^ this ^^
I was once in a position where I was underpaid compared to others in the same position. I was assuming that it was because I was new to the company. Wasn't treated as a team member and quit when I heard the owner bragging about how he got me so cheap.

For other jobs, when I threw out a number, they came back with the normal pay for the position.

Last week I was negotiating pay with a new company. First offer they threw out was as a business development consultant with zero pay to start. That was a no go for me and let them know it. Then I talked about base plus commission. They asked about my typical annual earnings. When I told them, their response was that the cost center couldn't pull in that much to be able to meet my expected range. Haven't heard back from them.

The point is that compensation can come in many forms. I don't need them to provide health insurance if they pay enough that it won't be an issue on my end. Same with contributing to a 401K and how long it takes for vetting. There may also be performance bonuses or commissions available that will contribute to total compensation. Get the whole picture.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
You need to post the job.   Somebody here will know.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm fine losing out to a better candidate.  Losing because I wasn't the lowest bidder is a little different.

View Quote
I'm looking for the best fit at the most economical price. Especially for a new hire who has no track record with my company. Meet my expectations and you get more money. 

I'm sure not going to make a high offer for somebody who can't research the prevailing wage for a position. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
A pox on H R

I was a dept head manager but the  fat, lesbo, stupid, corporate twatwaffle would not let me see the resumes she collected. She only sent the ones she thought were qualified. She was not an R N. She was drop out from womans liberal Arts college.
I told her to maintain parity the job was worth $22/hr entry level and a dollar more for each year of direct experience.
Ikept getting the worst resumes to review. All with a background or check mark for the EEO boxes.
I had a good friend send in the perfect resume with except he was a  white male.

She never referred it.

After a manager meeting with the corporate clinical V P, I pulled he aside and said if she didnt fix this problem, I would and she would not like the results.

She smiled and said be patient.

Nothing happened and a few months later  I went to another hospital and stole every damn good nurse the had

OP tell them what you and the job are  worth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think you missed it. He was implying that it is somehow bullshit to try to keep wage expense down and that paying as little as you can for a new employee is somehow morally defunct.

Obtuse? Really? 
View Quote
My point was that under or overpaying is bad for any business owner - one certainly has moral implications, but the other is just as bad for a company's long term. A business owner should know that many businesses can and do use gadgets like the wage volunteer question to underpay their employees (knowing full well they could pay more). Yes, I think using emotional tricks to get people to take less money than their true market worth to your business is unethical. Businesses don't have ethics, but people who run them do. I firmly believe good business and employee relationships operate on looking out for each other, but I'm old fashioned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
My answer both times has been "What is your range for this position?". The answer has been that they don't give a range. My next reply is "I'd be willing to entertain your offer", to which the reply is "You have to give us a number or we can not move you forward".
View Quote
Sounds a bit like they're hoping you lowball them to save them money.

The best thing to do is find out what other people in that position (or similar) make in your area ... or other people in that company.

and yes companies don't like it when coworkers talk pay with each other, cos then they can compare wages and perhaps demand raises if they find out that others make more than they do for the same job/experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]
87,000 duh~!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've had 2 phone interviews within the past few months.  Both are positions I am more than qualified for, however they in a different field with a similar concentration to what I do now.

At the end of each initial screening, I've been asked what salary I would accept.  

My answer both times has been "What is your range for this position?".  The answer has been that they don't give a range.  My next reply is "I'd be willing to entertain your offer", to which the reply is "You have to give us a number or we can not move you forward".

Yes, I've researched glassdoor, and indeed, my google fu is strong.  The challenge comes in that this position is paid per diem and not like a tradiational FT position.  The work is somewhat sporadic, 2 weeks one month, 4 weeks the next.
In for the wisdom of GD.
In before 87.
View Quote
Get an hourly or yearly value of what you made in the past, what others make in the industry and come up with a number that you are going to be happy with and are willing to go lower.
This way, if you get what you ask for, then you won't complain, and if they are professionals, they won't lowball you but may come in with a lower counter-offer.
If it's way too high or way too low, that may see suspicious. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
well.... how much do you think you're worth?  Ask that and walk away tall and proud... if it happens, good... otherwise, you would have been entering a scenario that immediately started by not meeting your expectations - likely not to get better.   In the end, it really comes down to how bad you need the job an how good you actually are, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

OP, there's tons of wage/salary info out there on the internet. See what the prevailing wage is and decide what you're willing to accept. 
View Quote
I don't think its too much to ask a fucking business to give a candidate some sort of idea what their thoughts on a salary would be....this name you salary bullshit is just that, bullshit. If they are thinking , say, $100k for salary, and some poor shlub says he is thinking $80k, what do you think they are going with? Its their business, set the salary.

I understand you want to keep down costs, but doing the mystery shuffle is bullshit. If the candidate is qualified, and can do the job, its up to the company to set the wage, and negotiations can go from there...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My .02....

View Quote
Did you turn at least a $24 profit?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#40]
If you pay peanuts, all you're going to get is monkeys!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not necessarily the cheapest. It's a starting point for the person I want.

If I have a position budgeted for $95k and the candidate I'm interested in is asking for $125k then I need to decide if the premium is worth it. If there is a valid reason to pay a premium then we pay it or negotiate from there.

If the candidate underbids themselves and they are the best candidate, I will bring it up to my budget. Surprising a candidate, especially a good one, with a higher than expected offer provides a lot of good will.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
.... I had a good friend send in the perfect resume with except he was a  white male.

She never referred it.

View Quote
From just a resume', how was the HR person able to determine your friend was both white and male?

Additionally, how was the HR person able to figure out who the "EEO" candidates were?

I'm not calling bullshit on your story, but if it was that obvious to you, then if I have to wonder what kind of liability that opens up to a company to being sued for discrimination???
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A pox on H R

I was a dept head manager but the  fat, lesbo, stupid, corporate twatwaffle would not let me see the resumes she collected. She only sent the ones she thought were qualified. She was not an R N. She was drop out from womans liberal Arts college.
I told her to maintain parity the job was worth $22/hr entry level and a dollar more for each year of direct experience.
Ikept getting the worst resumes to review. All with a background or check mark for the EEO boxes.
I had a good friend send in the perfect resume with except he was a  white male.

She never referred it.

After a manager meeting with the corporate clinical V P, I pulled he aside and said if she didnt fix this problem, I would and she would not like the results.

She smiled and said be patient.

Nothing happened and a few months later  I went to another hospital and stole every damn good nurse the had

OP tell them what you and the job are  worth.
View Quote
Damn I like your style. If you lived in Utah I'd tell my wife to apply to whatever facility you ran. I'm not in direct pt care, but I am really sick of our HR dept for almost all the same reasons.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I see that as rude. I'm selling my services. Employer must offer first and we negotiate from there.

If they're insistent I give a number first I'll give some outrageous figure like 3 times what I'm making. If they balk or jaws drop then ask them to make an offer. Also remind them a 20% bump is typically the low point to make me jump.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Hiring is like buying a fooking car, don't put an amount on it and instead, tell me we'll ''negotiate'' on the price/payment and I'll tell you to F off and walk out.

OP, split the middle, take the job if offered and keep looking, find a better paying job and walk, tell them why you left and suggest they hire a competent HR hiring monkey.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#46]
$15/hr.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In for the wisdom of GD.

In before 87.  
View Quote

add 25% to your current salary and ask for that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
$15/hr.
View Quote
For what?
Retail position for a twenty-something?

Real adults can't live on that for shit, unless I've missed something obvious about the OP.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Question to the phone interviewer:  Boxers, briefs, or commando?   And if you do wear some.....what color do you prefer?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hiring is like buying a fooking car, don't put an amount on it and instead, tell me we'll ''negotiate'' on the price/payment and I'll tell you to F off and walk out.

OP, split the middle, take the job if offered and keep looking, find a better paying job and walk, tell them why you left and suggest they hire a competent HR hiring monkey.
View Quote
What if you're a rare historic Porsche?  In that case you must tell me how much you're willing to pay first, I'm not giving you a number as that is the worst thing I can do for my career and value as all future raises will be based on this number.

How much for the Porsche?  Well frankly how much do you have. Don't give me that salary grade bullcrap. You can create a new position for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top