Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
would we continue to make interest payments to them for the bonds they hold?  Or is that not how any of that works?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, we stopped making royalty payments to Germany for the 1903 when WW1 kicked off.  Precedent, ya know.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
there's plenty of precedent for halting payments. Germany halted repatriations during the second world war, during the first world war we stopped paying royalties to mauser.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The first act of the war would likely being a "fuck you, ain't gonna pay ya" message. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
We aren't going to war with China.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If we go to war with China the world will be turned to radioactive ashes.  Payments are kinda irrelevant then.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We aren't going to war with China.
View Quote
that is not the point nor the question
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If we go to war with China the world will be turned to radioactive ashes.  Payments are kinda irrelevant then.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Even more concerning is whether or not the Bamboo Garden down the street would go on strikee.  Also young Chinese women are hot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I should have asked...If we go to war with a country that hold US debt, do we continue to make payments?

That has been answered.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
We should just do the same thing China did to us after ww2, replace our government and then say all debt belonged to the old USA and we won't pay it.

I don't think there will ever be a war between the USA and China. I think we will keep growing closer as allies. Both countries are run by intelligent people who want a prosperous future more than anything else. China will eventually need major political reform though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess I should have asked...If we go to war with a country that hold US debt, do we continue to make payments?

That has been answered.  Thanks.
View Quote
Think about how illogical that is...

"We're trying to kill your soldiers and destroy your government. BTW here's some cash we owe you."

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's going to be nuclear or nothing.   There isn't enough conventional ordnance to take out 600 million chinamen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"We're trying to kill your soldiers and destroy your government. BTW here's some cash we owe you."

View Quote
Oh dang, you are right.  US wars are all about logic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IIRC, we stopped making royalty payments to Germany for the 1903 when WW1 kicked off.  Precedent, ya know.
View Quote
I thought I recall that there was some sort of lawsuit on that that we lost on and we were paying for the 1903. Strange for sure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We pay them: it hurts our war campaign

We don't pay them: what are they going to do? War us even harder?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Walmart will go under!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We pay them: it hurts our war campaign

We don't pay them: what are they going to do? War us even harder?
View Quote
The capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them. Vladimir Lenin
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless I'm mistaken we kept paying debts to england during the revolutionary war.

It shocked the world and set up our current credit ratings
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
We aren't going to war with China.  There is nothing for them to gain by going to war with us.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
China strikes back by dumping the US Treasuries on the market in one shot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the Chinese.gov pretty much realise they aren't going to be able to send thousands of little emperors  over the top in human wave attacks.
Contraception + one child policy has consequences yo

[]everybody want to be a gangster until.jpg[/]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Correct, no more payments.  

It also means no more "made in China" goods.  So we would have to rely on all the factories here.  All three of them.

Thankfully, China needs some things we make, like airplanes. They don't want war.  They do want us to knock off the financial insanity, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
we get our canal back and charge them a toll
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top