Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 10:26:51 AM EDT
In April 1990, a guidance counselor at a Searsport, Maine, elementary school summoned a fifth-grader to her office. The counselor asked the 11-year-old, Crystal Grendell, whether her parents used drugs. After the counselor reassured her that "nothing would happen," Crystal eventually admitted that her parents occasionally smoked pot. At school a few days later, Crystal was greeted by three D.A.R.E. police officers, who interrogated her about her parents' drug use. The officers threatened Crystal, saying her parents would be arrested if she didn't tell them everything she knew about her mother and father's recreational drug habits. The officers then warned her against telling her parents about their encounter, claiming that "often parents beat their children after the children talk to police."

Scared, the girl agreed to carry out a spy mission on her family. The D.A.R.E. officers instructed Crystal to count her parents' marijuana plants and to provide details about their schedules and the layout of their home. When Crystal reported back to the cops, they informed her that her house would be raided and that she would not be able to stay there that night.

After the police raided the house and found several marijuana plants, Crystal's parents were arrested and her mother was fired from her jobs as a teacher's assistant and a bus driver. The D.A.R.E. officers had failed to make arrangements for where Crystal and her younger sister would stay while their parents were in police custody, and when the police couldn't find any nearby family members, they had to take the girls to the house of a distant relative.

Feeling that the police and school officials had manipulated her, Crystal—who was once outgoing and gregarious—became socially withdrawn and suffered from psychological distress. Reflecting on how the incident had turned her life upside down, Crystal later told The Wall Street Journal: "I would never tell again.…Never. Never." When a federal judge awarded Crystal a civil judgment against the D.A.R.E. officers, he issued a strong condemnation of how they had turned the fifth-grader into an informant against her own family: "This type of coercive extraction of indicting information from an 11-year-old girl about her parents is reprehensible behavior unworthy of constitutional protection."
View Quote
http://reason.com/archives/2017/04/16/recognize-resist-report

Holy Shit! We've been here before.

Germany circa 1930's, Hitlers "HJ-Streifendienst"

They were essentially junior Gestapo Agents, encouraged to spy on family and turn them into the Gestapo. These kids were also recruited into the SS once they turned old enough.

Good job America!

Good job Dope Warriors!

Sieg Heil!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
DARE to be a Gestapo agent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good read after all ...

Over a billion dollars.

Ha this happened in my hometown.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good read after all ...

Now active in 75 percent of American school districts and in more than 43 countries worldwide, and with annual expenditures exceeding $1 billion, D.A.R.E. is today one of the most significant youth governance initiatives in the United States. While its central mission is still to "provide children with the information and skills they need to live drug and violence free lives,"
Over a billion dollars.

In Matthews, North Carolina, in 2010, a fifth-grade boy heard a D.A.R.E. lesson on the horrors of marijuana use. The boy was so affected that he approached a D.A.R.E. officer, informing him that his parents sometimes smoked pot. To prove his point, the boy brought one of his parents' joints to school. When the local police arrested the boy's parents, social services removed the couple's two children from the home. Remarking on the case, a Matthews police officer seemed undisturbed by the fact that the children had been taken from their home over misdemeanor marijuana possession. With a hint of pride, the cop remarked: "That's what they're told to do, to make us aware."
The War on Drugs = a war on civil liberties.

I'm sure we'll turn the corner any day now and win that war against demon weed, we just need to spend billions more dollars and break up many more families...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought this was going to be some BLM bullshit.

But April 1990?  Yeah, that's pretty much equally bullshit.  Certainly, using kids to rat on their parents is wrong, but if the only example of this you can provide is from nearly three decades ago, you'll excuse my lack of outrage. 

Regardless, the problem here is the legislature and the war on (some)drugs, not the police. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm sure we'll turn the corner any day now and win that war against demon weed, we just need to spend billions more dollars and break up many more families...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good read after all ...

Now active in 75 percent of American school districts and in more than 43 countries worldwide, and with annual expenditures exceeding $1 billion, D.A.R.E. is today one of the most significant youth governance initiatives in the United States. While its central mission is still to "provide children with the information and skills they need to live drug and violence free lives,"
Over a billion dollars.

In Matthews, North Carolina, in 2010, a fifth-grade boy heard a D.A.R.E. lesson on the horrors of marijuana use. The boy was so affected that he approached a D.A.R.E. officer, informing him that his parents sometimes smoked pot. To prove his point, the boy brought one of his parents' joints to school. When the local police arrested the boy's parents, social services removed the couple's two children from the home. Remarking on the case, a Matthews police officer seemed undisturbed by the fact that the children had been taken from their home over misdemeanor marijuana possession. With a hint of pride, the cop remarked: "That's what they're told to do, to make us aware."

Instead we will take over health care and if we find use of illegal substance or alcohol abuse we will deny care..
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh look, someone that thinks the DARE program is a threat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that's abusive use of the police.  If a school counselor wanted to talk to a kid, no popo should be present and even if there were, there should be no lies that "nothing will happen."  Heimat Sicherheitsdienst FTW!  Using children to report on parents since Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia and Mao's China.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what happens when you live in Maine in the 90s.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's what happens when you live in Maine in the 90s.
View Quote
Or anywhere else in Amerika present day.

Lots of Arfers are either too uneducated, unengaged to see what's going on. Or they are just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I told my kids that they were never to tell anyone anything about our family life and to demand a lawyer if anyone asked.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
you mean trusting the police blindly can have poor results?  Who would have thought
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Only the retarded trust police anymore

When you are as dishonest or more than the criminals, trust is gone
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be some BLM bullshit.

But April 1990?  Yeah, that's pretty much equally bullshit.  Certainly, using kids to rat on their parents is wrong, but if the only example of this you can provide is from nearly three decades ago, you'll excuse my lack of outrage

Regardless, the problem here is the legislature and the war on (some)drugs, not the police. 
View Quote
What, are you saying OP is hurting his cause with over sensationalized nonsense? Cause that's what Im thinking too. Both sides' fringes do themselves no favor with the alarmist crap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
It's shitty to manipulate a kid but dammit, if you have children in your house don't grow pot there. That's just fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]

I love these threads! 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The left was starting to talk about doing this with guns in the last couple years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top