Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
I've decided it would be good to more or less start from scratch with fresh brass for .223, as most of my match brass had had quite a few firings, and is a little mixed together.

I've got once fired (or plenty of factory ammo that I can turn into once fired) from GECO, Lake City M855/M193, Taiwanese m193 Wolf Gold, and Prvi PPU M855.  Which one would you guys go for out of those choices? 

This will be used for 69 grain SMK short distance loads, and 75 grain ELD 600yd loads.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Lago Cuidad
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Lake City
Sort it by weight and discard the high and low of the weight range
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
LC is good. I like imperial wax for resizing cases. LC brass is tough.

Eta Dixiedog has really good advice. I sort their 7.62 brass, you will see variance and it would be enough to affect your reloads.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lake City
Sort it by weight and discard the high and low of the weight range
View Quote
Any point to trying to sort LC by the SCAMP dot patterns?

I generally sort all of my rifle brass by weight, even Lapua has enough variation to make it worth it to me.

I'm somewhat tempted to try the GECO brass, it seems pretty consistent and the accuracy is stunningly good for factory FMJ ammo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Hornady brass and Hornady 60-gr. VMax bullets with Winchester primers and 23 gr. of Hodgdon H-335 . I like to keep things as consistent as possible when shooting High Power matches.

I've stuck with the above recipe for the past 6-7 years.

I used to use whatever brass was at hand, but there really are variances.

So I settled on Hornady brass because it's not too hard so it's easy to trim (so is Fiocchi brass).

I reload and shoot the brass six times, then resize it and put it in my SHTF pile of brass, which gets reloaded one final time with bulk bullets and small rifle magnum primers and put into storage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a reason you couldn't post your thread in the reloading section ??

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL at your list.

Hornady.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Lapua Match
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
1) Lapua
2) Nosler
3) IMI - trim to 1.758", neck turned, flash hole deburred
4) everyone else who doesn't want to place 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always used LC for the short lines and Winchester or Black Hills for 600.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lapua Match
View Quote
I thought about that, I use Lapua for .308 and 6.5x55mm.  The friends I have that have tried it in .223 have not be thrilled with it compared to sorted and prepped once fired brass of various kinds. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL at your list.

Hornady.
View Quote
I have not been impressed, at all, by .30-06 and 6.5x55 brass from Hornady.  Huge weight variances. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot mostly .223. I use mostly Rem. brass mixed with some LC, PMC, Win. brass for plinking fun. However, for my precision rifle I only use Lapua brass for my 77gr. match ammo. I get some awesome performance out of it. I find reloading challenging to get the most out of my rifle and relaxing at the same time. Have fun in your quest.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lapua Match
View Quote
Excellent brass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Just FYI, one thing I discovered is that if it was too hard to withdraw from the die it was likely that the rim became deformed as a result.

This made it challenging to slide in and out of the primer die.

This would fire and extract fine in the rifle but it seems most responsible for my fliers that I called as good shots.  Took a while to figure out.

I say most of that to say that the US Army Marksmanship unit makes their match ammo and they always use new brass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've always used LC for the short lines and Winchester or Black Hills for 600.  
View Quote
My worn out brass right now is Winchester, which had a good reputation among people I started shooting with.

I'm probably going to go ahead and get some Lapua to try for myself, the cost isn't that bad when you consider that I don't have to remove primer crimps on it. 

I'm inclined to try the GECO brass for short line stuff though, since it appears more consistent/prettier  than LC. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top