Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2017 11:20:03 PM EDT
Was deployed numerous times between 1999-2007, never watched an episode. So started this week, so far crazy good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
CSB...

Just kidding, solid show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome show, one of the best ever
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I own the whole series, on my 3rd go through. I do skip the Christopher heavy episodes though, he just irritates the fuck out of me
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a great show.  Thanks for your service, brother.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I started watching in January, I'm on the 6th season, it's one of my favorite shows ever, and damn his daughter grows up to be a hottie
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Great show.  Probably watch it again now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Just started rewatching with the lady, who had somehow never seen it.  It stands up well...20 years old now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Great show. I just rewatched myself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Completely overrated.  

All anyone ever does is bitch, moan, and eat.  Take out those three facets of the series, and I am not sure they would have had enough material for the pilot episode.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Good series.  Move on to The Wire when you're done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Great show! Paulie cracks me up!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The Sopranos and The Wire are probably the two best TV shows to ever come on TV.

We'll see how GoT finishes up to see if its worthy of joining them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CSB...

Just kidding, solid show.
View Quote
The last few seasons sucked..the writing got worse and the empty story lines..

Loved it. Got the box set.

Oh!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Its one of the most awesome shows I have ever watched.  The Tony Soprano character is a work of art, in my opinion.  If you really study him you will see that his true character is a really a psychopath that pretends to be a normal family man otherwise.  His true character comes out when he is "doing business" and whacking somebody, or ordering a whacking.  I don't think this is any surprise but they did a masterful job with his, and many others, characters.  It's spellbinding watching these shows, for me at least.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Gabagool!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Really good show. Perfect example of how bad things never happen to bad people
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just started rewatching with the lady, who had somehow never seen it.  It stands up well...20 years old now.
View Quote
My GF had never seen it either. We are on season 6 now. I think this is my 3rd go round.

Great show.  The more you watch it the more subtle little things you pick up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Any fool who says over rated has no freaking clue.  It started in 1999!  Dear mother fucking shit fuck, You're so fucking cool ass right? Name me a fucking crime drama on par with the Sopranos!  In the fucking same time period. Let me see your fucking work! You can't.

Edit: you 12121212----- I mean 13'er
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#19]
"Whats Czheckoslovakian? Some kind of polak, right? I thought the only sausages they had was Italian and Jimmy Deans."
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gabagool!
View Quote
mangia
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been meaning to rewatch.  I'm working through Band of Brothers right now, and will pick this up next.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Finished it a couple months ago.  Good show.

The episode where Paulie and Christopher are in the woods hunting the Russian guy was my favorite.

Tony: Be careful with this guy. He was in the ministry of the interior. Killed 16 Chechnyans by himself.

Christopher: What'd he say?

Paulie: Guy's a fuckin' interior decorator. Killed 16 Czechoslovakians.

Christopher: Interior decorator? His apartment looked like shit!

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Pauly Walnuts and his carpet sweeper and the plastic covered couch. Holy Fuck.

Russian Gangster in The Pine Barrens is All Star material.

Eta

32 mutha fucking seconds
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I started watching a year after it first aired and I've been stuck on the 6th season since 2007. The ending was spoiled for me by a coworker and I just can't bring myself to watch the rest of it.

The same thing happened for The Shield. Freaking loved that show and I have never watched the last episode because my friend blurted out what happened before I had a chance to watch it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Whats Czheckoslovakian? Some kind of polak, right? I thought the only sausages they had was Italian and Jimmy Deans."
View Quote
*BANG*
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Post removed; not sure if it could be considered a spoiler.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Any fool who says over rated has no freaking clue. It started in 1999!
View Quote

From the perspective of 1999, it may have been a decent show.  When you're fighting "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", "Friends", "Frasier" and "Touched by an Angel", its easy to get an audience to latch on to characters who aren't effeminate.  Reality was, they were all men dominated by whining, manipulative women.  

Warning, potential spoilers below....

Dammit, everyone in the show whined.  Tony whined to his therapist.  His therapist whined to her therapist.  Their kids whined to anyone who would listen.  The daughter grew into a liberal SJW, and the son was nothing more than an immature and functioning retard.  Every female in the cast did nothing but complain, bitch, moan, and bitch some more.  And they did it in every episode.  Janis, the mom, their wives, girlfriends, even the fake-tittied strippers...all they ever did was complain.  And eat.  And if they weren't eating or complaining, they were talking about food.  

The real story is about two things...Tony's inability to control anything around him, and mommy-issues.  For a mob boss, no one really respects him.  All of his captains do pretty much what they want, and the other crews thinks he's a joke.  Virtually every person in Tony's crew is just a step up from incompetent, how they all managed to stay out of prison is a miracle in itself.  His kids hate him.  His wife doesn't like him.  His mom wishes she had smothered him as a child, and even his uncle tries to kill him.

Now, Gandolfini does a fantastic job with the role, and I can see how it may have been revolutionary in the late 90's.  Problem is, there are quite a few other shows since then that are significantly better.  The Wire, The Shield, Breaking Bad, True Detective, hell, even Justified is a better program.  

And the writers didn't help much, as there were far too many story lines they developed just to drop on a whim.  Don't get me started on the Russian, which should have been a centerpiece for any development after the fact.  Except, they just dropped it.  

The only redeeming quality of the entire series was the "Pine Barrens" episode, it was fantastic.  Otherwise, its just a big "meh".
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Its one of the most awesome shows I have ever watched.  The Tony Soprano character is a work of art, in my opinion.  If you really study him you will see that his true character is a really a psychopath that pretends to be a normal family man otherwise.  His true character comes out when he is "doing business" and whacking somebody, or ordering a whacking.  I don't think this is any surprise but they did a masterful job with his, and many others, characters.  It's spellbinding watching these shows, for me at least.
View Quote
I just started watching it, because I was 10 when it came out

It is clear the characters are very well developed. I was discussing it tonight with a friend at dinner, and I mentioned that it's the first show I've started watching that I can't find much to complain about. I'm intrigued and want to see more, but I'm only getting about one episode a week in right now.  

It might take me awhile to finish it
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I started watching a year after it first aired and I've been stuck on the 6th season since 2007. The ending was spoiled for me by a coworker and I just can't bring myself to watch the rest of it.
View Quote

Big surprise, it ends while they are eating...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Add Peaky Blinders to your list, great gangster genre show.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Wife and I marathoned it last month on Amazon Prime. Great series.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Man..Furio with that bat.

I couldn't watch again..at least not Janice and his mother always bitching.

Oh,marrone. I miss Adriana

It was a great show..slipped a bit...but awesome.

FWIW, I think Ray Donovan is an EXCELLENT show if none of you are aware.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The episode where Paulie and Christopher are in the woods hunting the Russian guy was my favorite.

Tony: Be careful with this guy. He was in the ministry of the interior. Killed 16 Chechnyans by himself.

View Quote
Haha. Weren't they eating ketchup packets in that van?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was deployed numerous times between 1999-2007, never watched an episode. So started this week, so far crazy good.
View Quote

Curly fries and journey will disappoint
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was always telling my GF when we watched it, that I could see myself in the mob.  Apparently all they do is eat and smoke cigs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I think some of the objections people have with the show were intentionally put there.  They were incompetent gangsters and whiney fuck ups.  The New York mob in the show always saw them as a half assed bastardized illegitimate thing.  I still loved it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Name me a fucking crime drama on par with the Sopranos!  In the fucking same time period. Let me see your fucking work! You can't.

Edit: you 12121212----- I mean 13'er
View Quote
The Shield. You lose.

Although I can't compare the two since I've never seen the Sopranos. Quite frankly I thought it looked stupid/boring when it came out and I have absolutely zero interest in ever seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I wanted to watch it.  But with the abysmal finale, I said fuck it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those 2 were funny as hell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

mangia
View Quote
Fuckin nosey.  Eat your manicot!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#43]
The Sopranos - Funny Moments / Wise Cracks Compilation [HD]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great show! Paulie cracks me up!
View Quote
The guy who plays him was a real life gangster. Genaro Anthony "Tony" Sirico, Jr, has been arrested 28 times and sent to prison a couple of times for robbing an after hours club and felony weapons possession. When he signed on to do the Sopranos, he made one demand. His character was never to be a rat or informant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#45]
All I have to say is that stripper in Season 6. episode 11 ("Cold Stones") at timestamp 21:38 is probably one of the hottest girls I have ever seen.

Before the usual guys jump in to say my GF is hotter or she's ugly, if you're going to go that route, please ignore my comments and post your BS on another thread.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#46]
great show
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I prefer Big Pussy...
As a fish.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

From the perspective of 1999, it may have been a decent show.  When you're fighting "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", "Friends", "Frasier" and "Touched by an Angel", its easy to get an audience to latch on to characters who aren't effeminate.  Reality was, they were all men dominated by whining, manipulative women.  

Warning, potential spoilers below....

Dammit, everyone in the show whined.  Tony whined to his therapist.  His therapist whined to her therapist.  Their kids whined to anyone who would listen.  The daughter grew into a liberal SJW, and the son was nothing more than an immature and functioning retard.  Every female in the cast did nothing but complain, bitch, moan, and bitch some more.  And they did it in every episode.  Janis, the mom, their wives, girlfriends, even the fake-tittied strippers...all they ever did was complain.  And eat.  And if they weren't eating or complaining, they were talking about food.  

The real story is about two things...Tony's inability to control anything around him, and mommy-issues.  For a mob boss, no one really respects him.  All of his captains do pretty much what they want, and the other crews thinks he's a joke.  Virtually every person in Tony's crew is just a step up from incompetent, how they all managed to stay out of prison is a miracle in itself.  His kids hate him.  His wife doesn't like him.  His mom wishes she had smothered him as a child, and even his uncle tries to kill him.

Now, Gandolfini does a fantastic job with the role, and I can see how it may have been revolutionary in the late 90's.  Problem is, there are quite a few other shows since then that are significantly better.  The Wire, The Shield, Breaking Bad, True Detective, hell, even Justified is a better program.  

And the writers didn't help much, as there were far too many story lines they developed just to drop on a whim.  Don't get me started on the Russian, which should have been a centerpiece for any development after the fact.  Except, they just dropped it.  

The only redeeming quality of the entire series was the "Pine Barrens" episode, it was fantastic.  Otherwise, its just a big "meh".
View Quote
You are missing the entire point of the show.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fuckin nosey.  Eat your manicot!
View Quote
Va Fongool!
Bobby ate all the manicotti.
I've got ugatz here!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top