Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2017 6:14:12 PM EDT
So glad there isn't one close to me.  I'd go broke.

Took mini me for a road trip to the Harbor Freight in Temple today and bought entirely too much.

Bastards even have shopping carts so you can just pile the stuff up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tools are cool

I know what you mean OP, if there was one closer to me who knows ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one 20 minutes from me.big sale today. Must
Resist
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There's one not too far from me. 
Luckily, I don't recall how to get there. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My son loves that place but it seems like the power tools don't last long.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Close enough to me to walk to and it comes in really handy. Plus there is an Ace hardware even closer and an auto parts store is right there too. Only auto parts store was there when I bought the house. Really glad Ace and Harbor opened up
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Took mini me for a road trip to the Harbor Freight in Temple today and bought entirely too much.

View Quote

Pics of the haul, please.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I go in to the Temple HF about every 3 months.  Good for cheap tools.  I do not expect them to last as long as the good name brands.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Would be nice to get good tools from them case harden and not made in India. I take a pass on their no lasting soft metal crap. JMHO and my money
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Five minutes from my house. And a lot of their tools have gotten a lot better than they used to be. Combine that with brands like Craftsman being chinese made these days and the needles move closer together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I go in there as pessemistic as possible. If I can't figure out how it will break after the first use, I consider buying it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There's one 5 minutes from work, and I find myself in there at least once a week.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I was there today and they had a big shop fan for $149 but I didn't have a discount coupon with me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Love the smell of Chinese rubber in the afternoon?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time I go there I spend 1000% more than I plan for.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't buy anything there that has a motor, like a grinder or drill.

But I spend about 1000 bucks a month there on everything else. My tools get covered in shit and acidic or chlorinated water then put back in my service bed so harbor freight has it's place for me.

I buy some high end tools. Stronghand clamps, bosch or dewalt power tools, rigid pipe wrenches and pipe stands. But other things, hf works fine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
One opened recently near me.  I went in with the wife to look around and buy some winch cable...and came out with a 10'x12' greenhouse. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
they take it back, buy 1 bring it back . 2x  get 2yrs that way
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#19]
HF can be great.

But like the Colorado prospectors of the past, the key is knowing how to pick the gold out of the mud.

Some items there are not worth the recycle value of the cardboard box they come in.

My dad used to taunt me when I'd mention a sale. I'd say 25% off coupon, he'd reply, save 75% if you don't buy it at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Boy you're missing out!

Having a brace of angle grinders and drill motors is fantastic and I don't feel any guilt about abusing them.  Haven't killed one yet (but the drill power cords keep getting shorter. )
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was there today and they had a big shop fan for $149 but I didn't have a discount coupon with me.
View Quote
Do you have a smart phone?

http://www.hfqpdb.com
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
They just opened one about 3 miles from my house. I used to have to drive almost 30 minutes to the nearest one. My problem is that I convince myself that I need something. Well this air compressor is old I need a new one(hose too), I need a new impact, can't have a new impact without new impact socket set so I need those too, I need a new pair of jack stands, I need I need I need.

I don't NEED any of that shit. But I do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought the wife the:

To put her USA made COBALT tools in...

and my 1970's Craftsman sets in...

AND MY [ONLY] SNAP-ON DA-DA-DAMN $99 9 PIECE SCREWDRIVER SET FROM 1982.

EDIT:  Did this last week at the Douglasville HF since the one in Kennesaw was out.

NO FUCKING DISCOUNTS, WHAT THE FUCKS WEB DISFUCKS...

and I feel like a chump champ.  I know where my shit is at.

Haven't found one of my Snap-On screwdrivers in the master bath shaving drawer in 7 days...

'scuse me while i go to my bunk.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a 25% off coupon for tomorrow only!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I used a HF trim router and a straight bit to hog out and finish the FC well in an 80% receiver.  Knew it was a $22 throwaway so it was no big deal to cutout the router base so it would clear the buffer tube mount.  The lower looks and works just fine and the router still works as long as you don't mind one coil of the motor windings being burnt out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Boy you're missing out!

Having a brace of angle grinders and drill motors is fantastic and I don't feel any guilt about abusing them.  Haven't killed one yet (but the drill power cords keep getting shorter. )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy you're missing out!

I bought the grinder for a boat project I was doing (cutting out the fiberglass transom, stringers and floor) I knew I was going to destroy whatever grinder I used.  Couldn't kill the harbor freight one, still running strong years later.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The HF toolbox is actually a really good budget buy and is built better than most other brands twice it's price.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
25% off this weekend
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one across town, ten minutes driving time, try to stay the hell away.

I have a 6 inch belt sander with a 9 inch disc that's been running strong for years, and I get craploads of sandpaper, emery rolls, buffing wheels and such there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought the grinder for a boat project I was doing (cutting out the fiberglass transom, stringers and floor) I knew I was going to destroy whatever grinder I used.  Couldn't kill the harbor freight one, still running strong years later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy you're missing out!

Repack the gearbox on the grinders and it will out-last you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I have at least 2 that are convenient to me. I don't need anything else at this point. I've stocked up well over the past 2 years.

I've got over a dozen free tarps...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Five minutes from my house. And a lot of their tools have gotten a lot better than they used to be. Combine that with brands like Craftsman being chinese made these days and the needles move closer together.
View Quote
Agreed.  The metal castings and plastic moldings are better, and the fit and finish has markedly improved.  The quality isn't up to the best, but I think it's above average, and much better than when I first started shopping there.

I just bought a cement mixer.  It's my second one.  The X-Box gave away my first one when I wasn't around.  You appreciate mixers after you've mixed concrete by hand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
everything in there sucks.

how are we supposed to MAGA if you guys buy that shit?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
When you can buy the store for $19.99, I don't need a fucking shopping cart....I need a dump truck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
... sadly, most everything is manufactured in Asia now. India and Bangladesh is next.
USA really needs to step up their game to stay on top now - I'm seeing some of that today, but not to the rate/scale to command the lead like when I was in my prime 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#37]
There are certain things at HF that are decent deals.

There are others that are good for low use.  Many times, you even get lucky and the low use stuff will last.

It's not really a replacement for things that are made for heavy use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
They just opened up one here in Hobbs. Wife will let me go unattended but not with the debit card.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I am lucky the closest one is 90 miles away, otherwise I'd have a garage full of Chinese steel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, that's a strong statement.  I was under the impression Harbor Freight was an American owned business.

How is patronizing an American business not MAGA?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a strong statement.  I was under the impression Harbor Freight was an American owned business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its where its made that MAGA
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#42]
One is coming to town

Closes ones now is 45 miles away
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck that place, worst than third world quality. For us real man that handle real tools every day, that place is like buying picatinny accessories off of amazon
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck that place, worst than third world quality. For us real man that handle real tools every day, that place is like buying picatinny accessories off of amazon
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's like shopping for hipoints but in tools
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their sockets are every bit as good as my old school Craftsman.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their impacts sockets are solid as hell also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, it's not even close. I've turned wrenches for 25 years and still do 6 days a week. I've been buying their hand tools almost exclusively for the last couple years, as have several other shop mechanics I know with very little disappointment. The one thing I have torn up, totally from my own misuse, was replaced under their lifetime warranty without question
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll concede that the sockets are of measurable quality, I was referring to just about everything else they carry, especially power tools
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top