User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/13/2017 2:08:22 AM EDT
Did you shutoff the updates?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You can shut them off? I get update notifications at least once a day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My updates all of the time. Why does my printer always go offline? 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I turned it off ... they are fuggin' up my system by changing privacy settings, eating up RAM and changing my default program settings.

-> Start button
-> Settings
-> Type in " Administrative tools "
-> Select " Services "
-> Click Windows update

PC seems a tad slower ...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
They're unstoppable my bruda. They will update your computer against your will. So, no fighting off them updates, just accept them!

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I turned it off ... they are fuggin' up my system by changing privacy settings, eating up RAM and changing my default program settings.

-> Start button
-> Settings
-> Select " Services "
-> Click Windows update

View Quote
Don't listen to this guy
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't listen to this guy
View Quote
why not ... ?

Eta:  They'll force it?  ... delete the restore log too?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't listen to this guy if you want your computer to randomly reboot or to update when you go to reboot/shutdown
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-> Start button
-> Settings
-> Select " Services "
-> Click Windows update

Don't listen to this guy if you want your computer to randomly reboot or to update when you go to reboot/shutdown
FIFY.  Even servers based on that version of the OS will randomly reboot unless you know to use SCONFIG and set it to "download only".  That option is not available for Win 10 though.  So I disabled the Windows Updates service and only enable it when I want to update.

I have had Win 10 reboot in the middle of the day, reboot and apply patches in the middle of the day, and when I have gone shutdown the computer to throw it in my bag it has said "applying updates" which causes it to get very hot inside my bag.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

why not ... ?

Eta:  They'll force it?  ... delete the restore log too?
View Quote
you are why bot nets exist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
He used to be why botnets exist.

Now Microsoft gets to shoulder the blame with their completely fucking retarded windows 10 sneak update bullshit.   You expect people to trust them now?

I have third party software now just to stop that nonsense because the update descriptions are either incomplete or bogus.   Thousands of dollars worth of licenses for software I need for work, no I don't want to fucking switch to a different OS version that doesn't run any version of any of that software.

Assholes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
LINUX
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#11]
You can change your update window to times that you're not usually using your computer. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're unstoppable my bruda. They will update your computer against your will. So, no fighting off them updates, just accept them!

View Quote
No they're not.  Mine updates when I tell it to, and reboots when I tell it to...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LINUX
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Just stay with Win 7 or 8.1 and be happy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Let's not turn this windows update into a murder.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FIFY.  Even servers based on that version of the OS will randomly reboot unless you know to use SCONFIG and set it to "download only".  That option is not available for Win 10 though.  So I disabled the Windows Updates service and only enable it when I want to update.

I have had Win 10 reboot in the middle of the day, reboot and apply patches in the middle of the day, and when I have gone shutdown the computer to throw it in my bag it has said "applying updates" which causes it to get very hot inside my bag.  
View Quote
That's the one that irritates the fuck out of me... Go to shutdown for the day at work and pack up my laptop... "Shutdown and Install Updates". No motherfucker, I want to go the fuck home and not wait for 15 minutes before I can pack up. At least in 7 you could shutdown without installing updates right then and there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just stay with Win 7 or 8.1 and be happy.
View Quote
Until it's time for a new computer and can't get anything but 10
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine kept doing it until it got so screwed up, it wouldn't but back up.

Had it rolled back to 7 Pro and Microsoft installed the latest Office, etc after I called them and explained what happened.

Back to 7 Pro and staying.

10 sucks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LINUX
View Quote
If Windows is too difficult for someone, linux is not the answer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINUX
QFT. These threads are ridiculous. Most Win10 issues are either, out dated hardware, or error code, id10t, between the keyboard and chair.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No they're not.  Mine updates when I tell it to, and reboots when I tell it to...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

please tell us how to make it do that.  Because many of us who flipped the switches to make it do that STILL find our computers updating and rebooting when the computer wants, not when we tell it to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
please tell us how to make it do that.  Because many of us who flipped the switches to make it do that STILL find our computers updating and rebooting when the computer wants, not when we tell it to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've posted it before - there's a list of things you have to do, including a couple of non-obvious things. I'll find the link I used and post it when I get to a computer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Use the search function, type Services, should have a little program with gears, launch that. Scroll down to Windows Updates, stop service. Then double click entry, change startup type to disabled.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Now Microsoft gets to shoulder the blame with their completely fucking retarded windows 10 sneak update bullshit.   You expect people to trust them now?

I have third party software now just to stop that nonsense because the update descriptions are either incomplete or bogus.   Thousands of dollars worth of licenses for software I need for work, no I don't want to fucking switch to a different OS version that doesn't run any version of any of that software.

Assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assholes.
There's a critical zero day that's being exploited in the open that was part of this month's patch Tuesday.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you patched your system?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I had it set to notify me of updates so that I could install them at my leisure (W10 Pro FTW) because of all the horror stories I had been hearing.  I also had it set to defer feature updates.

Yesterday I changed it all back to the defaults.  Maybe my mere presence is enough to keep PCs in line, but I've never had any issues with Windows updates.  I'm convinced that some people could fuck up a basic calculator.  And then they would blame the calculator.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can change your update window to times that you're not usually using your computer. 
View Quote
I'm on my computer 8am to 2am most days.  I also leave 60 different tabs open with content related to my work.  Microsoft requires a 12 hour reboot window.  They also don't always follow the times you enter for reboots.  I had my hours set from 8am to 8pm and it installed the 1607 update at 2pm which took 2 fucking hours.  Thank you Microsoft for fucking up the middle of my work day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm on my computer 8am to 2am most days.  I also leave 60 different tabs open with content related to my work.  Microsoft requires a 12 hour reboot window.  They also don't always follow the times you enter for reboots.  I had my hours set from 8am to 8pm and it installed the 1607 update at 2pm which took 2 fucking hours.  Thank you Microsoft for fucking up the middle of my work day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't mean to tell you how to live, but that's unhealthy.

Also, if getting an update is that catastrophic to you then either get SCCM going or manually search for updates at times that work for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's the one that irritates the fuck out of me... Go to shutdown for the day at work and pack up my laptop... "Shutdown and Install Updates". No motherfucker, I want to go the fuck home and not wait for 15 minutes before I can pack up. At least in 7 you could shutdown without installing updates right then and there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recently reinstalled the OS on my laptop and haven't disabled updates.  I worked from 11pm to 6:30am this morning, got two hours of sleep, and tried to leave to go to another client location.  I told my laptop to shutdown and the option was "Update and Shutdown" or "Update and Restart".  I told it to update and shutdown and then put it in my bag.  I get to the client location and turn the computer on "Please while while we ready Windows Updates" as it starts back up.  Fuck Microsoft.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also, if getting an update is that catastrophic to you then either get SCCM going or manually search for updates at times that work for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the life of a consultant.  You always have to be connected and you are always scrambling to stay up to speed.  I already posted that I disable the Windows Update service and then re-enable it when I am at a point I have time to run the updates.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's the life of a consultant.  You always have to be connected and you are always scrambling to stay up to speed.  I already posted that I disable the Windows Update service and then re-enable it when I am at a point I have time to run the updates.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what you consult on, but if it's IT.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#31]
TFW some Windows updates are forced on you regardless of what your settings are and these updates sometimes reset every change made to the pc back to default.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

-> Start button
-> Settings
-> Select " Services "
-> Click Windows update

View Quote
I have mine off, but they still push updates.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#33]
To this thread
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Set your connection as "metered" and it is not supposed to update. If you are hardwired then you have to go in and mess with registry.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I got hit with forced rebot yesterday.  How do you tell Windoze to only download updates and wait for you to tell it to install them in 10?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I recently reinstalled the OS on my laptop and haven't disabled updates.  I worked from 11pm to 6:30am this morning, got two hours of sleep, and tried to leave to go to another client location.  I told my laptop to shutdown and the option was "Update and Shutdown" or "Update and Restart".  I told it to update and shutdown and then put it in my bag.  I get to the client location and turn the computer on "Please while while we ready Windows Updates" as it starts back up.  Fuck Microsoft.  
View Quote
Well that was because there are update operation performed on boot up, most often registry changes.

Next time, do update and shutdown, then turn it back on and let it update. You were asleep anyways.

I mean, we can just ignore 3 active 0-days. No biggie. In fairness, the last 2 weeks of Win 10 updates have been a little fucky for some of my clients.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a wifi connection you can set it to be a metered connection and it won't automatically download and apply the updates either I recently found out.

I dislike W10 for their updates alone which is sad as I love it for everything else (except the spyware of course).
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
My H/O box is updating now, should I be worried ?

Win10 fixed a lot of issues with it but I'm still used to Win7.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
They do not require a 12 hour window.  12 hours is the maximum length of the window.  You can set your window between 1 and 12 hours.  My computer at home has the new creator's update, and I believe it is a maximum of 18 hours.  If your update took 2 hours then your computer needs to be thrown in the dumpster.  You can do a fresh install of windows in 1/4 that time.  Running a clean version of windows, not that OEM pre-installed crap, and an SSD, I have yet to see an update take more than 5-6 minutes.

If you can't figure out how to get your computer to install updates in a narrow window of time that works for you, then that's your fault, not Microsoft's.

And to some of you, quit trying to stop the updates!  Set your active hours and let it update.  You guys that jack with all the internal settings without having any clue of what you are doing are the same ones that complain of instability and viruses.

Every single computer should be running SSDs now.  Mechanical hard drives are incredibly slow and are good for nothing except storing large files likes games and movies.  I mean, even if you turn on your computer and it does need to update first, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds (or maybe a minute or two for a huge update).

ETA:  I just installed the creator's update on my work machine.  It's probably the biggest and longest type of update that you can get, essentially an entire new version of Windows.  From start to finish was 12 minutes.  I really doubt your 2 hour update story.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I really need to wipe this machine and install 7 but there's no drivers available.

10 is fucking awful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
How to turn off windows 10 auto update 2017

Made my computer pretty much unusable the end of last night and first thing this morning, so I shut it off...

I updated my video card drivers yesterday, decided I'd do a check for windows updates while I was at it, didn't realize it was going to tie the damn thing up for hours...

Then on first start this morning, it was at it again...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Go to settings (new one, not control panel), network, wifi, click on your wifi, go to advanced options, then set as metered connection. It won't auto-update anymore as it thinks your paying for data by the byte.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On a wifi connection you can set it to be a metered connection and it won't automatically download and apply the updates either I recently found out.

I dislike W10 for their updates alone which is sad as I love it for everything else (except the spyware of course).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What spyware?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh, my new home laptop has 10 and so far it's been great.  No issues at all.  Definitely better than 8.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
We use WSUS and SCCM and spend seven figures per year with Microsoft, but we still haven't been able to stop unwanted Windows updates.z
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#47]
As recently as Win 8.1 you could get in there and shut off the background monitoring of your system. Part of the "improvement" in Win 10 is that the system tracks everything you do, with an eye towards sending advertising your way.
Personally I'm not keen on that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I prefer auto-updates, there's a reason for the updates

Now, the last firefox drop messed up 2 computers and the 3rd I'm going to switch. Firefox is crashing
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They do not require a 12 hour window.  12 hours is the maximum length of the window.  You can set your window between 1 and 12 hours.  My computer at home has the new creator's update, and I believe it is a maximum of 18 hours.  If your update took 2 hours then your computer needs to be thrown in the dumpster.  You can do a fresh install of windows in 1/4 that time.  Running a clean version of windows, not that OEM pre-installed crap, and an SSD, I have yet to see an update take more than 5-6 minutes.

If you can't figure out how to get your computer to install updates in a narrow window of time that works for you, then that's your fault, not Microsoft's.

And to some of you, quit trying to stop the updates!  Set your active hours and let it update.  You guys that jack with all the internal settings without having any clue of what you are doing are the same ones that complain of instability and viruses.

Every single computer should be running SSDs now.  Mechanical hard drives are incredibly slow and are good for nothing except storing large files likes games and movies.  I mean, even if you turn on your computer and it does need to update first, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds (or maybe a minute or two for a huge update).

ETA:  I just installed the creator's update on my work machine.  It's probably the biggest and longest type of update that you can get, essentially an entire new version of Windows.  From start to finish was 12 minutes.  I really doubt your 2 hour update story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying my dual quad core Xeon workstation with 40GB of ram, and a 15,000 rpm SAS drive is a piece of crap, slow, and should be thrown in the trash?    I've never run an OEM version of Windows in my life.  The 1 to 12 hours was the maximum of the busy hours they would allow, which is what I said.  If I work 16 hours some days then I am out of luck because I could only mark 12 as busy. 

So you are telling me the 1607 anniversary update completed in less then 5 minutes?  Sorry but you are full of shit or you work on a magical fairy dust computer.  There are multiple threads here where it took hours on various peoples computers and that isn't counting the various people that posted threads about the 1607 update blue screening their computer.  Windows 10 is great at working with most hardware and finding the right drivers...but that comes at the cost of the speed of the install.  Newer mass marketed computers will be quicker than higher end more customized computers.  That's assuming Windows 10 actually finds the correct driver and doesn't crash due to driver incompatibility.  On my laptop if I install the Win 10 video driver it would crash the PC after the 1607 update.  I have no choice but to stick with whatever driver Microsoft put on and can't use the one from Dell.  

Windows 10 Anniversary Update install takes too long
http://windowsreport.com/anniversary-update-install-takes-long/
Many users are reporting that installing Windows 10 version 1607 takes too long, and the installation process sometimes remains stuck at a particular stage for hours on end.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-to-expect-from-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/
On newer hardware, with solid-state drives and modern CPUs, the upgrade process typically takes between 20 and 25 minutes (not counting download times).

So your computer is 5 times more efficient than the newest computers running SSDs at ZDnet.  What exactly is in your magical fairy dust computer?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#50]
There is just about no way to stop updates unless you stop the service. What you can do is change hours of operation or something and have it do the restart over night. Also have to watch out as some of the updates reset the defaults and some even ignore the registry now. Win 10 as a system is pretty dam nice but it's all the bull that microsoft is pulling that is giving it a bad rep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top