Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 2:29:55 PM EDT

Ugh! Here we have yet ANOTHER example of how off-course GW Bush and the Repubs are in keeping the Federal Judiciary in it's rightful place in center/moderate judicial activism:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timothy Tymkovich

Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
Confirmed: 4/01/2003

Tymkovich is an active member of the Federalist Society, and a former member of the Independence Institute, which during his tenure as a member advocated for laws allowing Coloradoans to carry concealed weapons, and against affirmative action in higher education.

Tymkovich intervened in a case to defend the rights of gun owners against a city of Denver ordinance regulating a narrow class of dangerous assault weapons. Tymkovich argued that "the City and County of Denver does not have the authority to regulate all firearms identified as assault weapons because the regulation is a matter of statewide concern." The Colorado Supreme Court, held that the ordinance did not violate the state constitutional right of Coloradoans to bear arms because the ordinance is "reasonably related to a legitimate governmental interest and constitutes a valid exercise of the state's police power..."

As Colorado's Solicitor General, Tymkovich represented the state of Colorado in the Supreme Court case of Romer v. Evans, arguing that an amendment to Colorado's constitution barring the state and municipalities from taking action to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination was permissible under the U.S. Constitution.

Tymkovich also defended an amendment to the Colorado Constitution that required the state not to fund abortions in the case of rape and incest. Testifying before the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee Tymkovich insisted that federal law "did not require...States [to] pay for any abortions."

In March 1996, Tymkovich testified in support of the Tenth Amendment Enforcement Act of 1996, which would have instructed the courts to presume that all federal laws were unconstitutional when they allegedly infringed on states' rights. Tymkovich objected to federal environmental regulations, Medicaid requirements, and the motor voter law as too burdensome on the states. Tymkovich also argued that the bill should go further and require that all existing federal regulations be terminated if they did not comport with states' rights principles. Congress never passed the bill.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Lord! Not ANOTHER States-Rights/Gun-Nut/Right-Wing WHACKO on the Federal Judiciary!!!

This is starting to look ugly:
What  was GW and the Repubs thinking??? (Part 1)
What was GW and the Repubs thinking??? (Part 2)

Doesn't he know there's not supposed to be any CONSERVATIVES appointed by Tweedle-dum or the Republicrats???  

Doesn't he know there's no difference between Democrats and Republicans???

These right-wing whackos are on the Federal Bench FOR LIFE now!!!
And are one step away from the SCOTUS!!!

This is NOT AT ALL what I was thinking GW would do when I voted for him and for the Republican-controlled Senate!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]

BTT.

I guess nobody cares that GW is stocking the Federal Courts with whacko, right-wing, Constitutionalist EXTREMISTS.

Oh well.

I know who I'm voting for next time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
uh
the sarcasm is either REALLY thick, or I'm confused.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
uh

Imbroglio factor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Everybody's Imbroglio now.  I'm dizzy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
uh

Imbroglio factor.

I'm only here to help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]
isn't it time for an update, like maybe parts 4 and 5???

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Wrong board... This goes on Du.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top