Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 11:56:47 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Freedom Munitions X-Treme HP

A quick google-fu didn't turn up expansion results for these - probably because they don't expand, hence the disclaimer, "This bullet is not however ideal for home defense or law enforcement purposes."

I ordered  a few hundred to try out.

ETA: Ordered on 4-7.  As of 4-17 I have received no notification of shipment.  What's the over/under on when it arrives?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't made to expand. They are made to move the center of gravity rearward, which helps in stabilization.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They aren't made to expand. They are made to move the center of gravity rearward, which helps in stabilization.
View Quote
No need to SAY that on their site tho.  Thank you for clarifying [thumbs up]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Xtreme is a company and they make the bullets I would assume

http://www.xtremebullets.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Xtreme is a company and they make the bullets I would assume

http://www.xtremebullets.com
View Quote
Hey - one of the comments mentions 18" penetration and "pretty good" expansion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I reload with xtreme bullets they make a pretty nice plated bullet.

Being pretty much just lead they probably do expand a bit but they are a much cheaper alternative to practice with that should be pretty close to poi as a real self defence load
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
That company sells shit ammo ABORT!!!!!! The projectiles are fine but the cases are complete crap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That company sells shit ammo ABORT!!!!!!
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey - one of the comments mentions 18" penetration and "pretty good" expansion.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440865/IMG-20170409-205630-184183.JPG
View Quote
Being a hollow point and plated (which means a soft lead) it is likely they will expand. However, they are not made to expand, that is just a side-effect. So yes, you might get expansion, but don't rely on it. If you want something that expands, you want a purpose built (Self defense) HP.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That company sells shit ammo ABORT!!!!!! The projectiles are fine but the cases are complete crap.
View Quote
Ugh.  Good thing I only ordered 250 rounds.  100 9mm and 150 .45 to try them out.

ETA: do you mean their re-manufactured ammo, or also their NEW ammo is crap?  I ordered new fwiw.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
FreedomMunitions + Glock = profit
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer Rocky Mountain Reloading to Extreme.  Prices are comparable, but shipping seems faster from RMR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No need to SAY that on their site tho.  Thank you for clarifying [thumbs up]
View Quote
Like the Hornady HAP which is their XTP bullet without cuts. Very, very accurate but a little soft in the nose and flat spits may cause feed issues.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ugh.  Good thing I only ordered 250 rounds.  100 9mm and 150 .45 to try them out.

ETA: do you mean their re-manufactured ammo, or also their NEW ammo is crap?  I ordered new fwiw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, you'll be fine.

I head about Freedom Munition's ammo kabooming, I think most if not all of it is the re-manufactured ammo.  I've gone through cases upon cases of the new 9mm and some 10mm without any problems, and a friend went through some cases of their .45.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Alright @m35ben stop.

Collaborate.

And listen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Alright @m35ben stop.

Collaborate.

And listen.
View Quote
50dollarCheShirt is back with a brand new edition 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eh, you'll be fine.

I head about Freedom Munition's ammo kabooming, I think most if not all of it is the re-manufactured ammo.  I've gone through cases upon cases of the new 9mm and some 10mm without any problems, and a friend went through some cases of their .45.
View Quote

This matches my experience. I've been through many cases of new 9mm from them without a hiccup. It's not quite as accurate out of my CZs as the Geco FMJ stuff, but its dirt cheap. All the issues I've heard of have been with their reman ammo. 9mm is getting cheap enough that buying reman isn't really that big of a savings over buying new. I wouldn't sweat their new ammo for a second.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This matches my experience. I've been through many cases of new 9mm from them without a hiccup. It's not quite as accurate out of my CZs as the Geco FMJ stuff, but its dirt cheap. All the issues I've heard of have been with their reman ammo. 9mm is getting cheap enough that buying reman isn't really that big of a savings over buying new. I wouldn't sweat their new ammo for a second.
View Quote
For an extra $.01 per round, I sprung for new manufacture.  BTW, the reason I made it to Freedom Munitions website via This Ammo Stickey.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Companies QC is shit.

180 gr 40S&W with bullets set back almost flush in the case.
Told the guy to go ahead and shoot it, shouldn't cause any problems!

Another guy I shoot with just bought 1000 77gr 5.56. "New" cases. WAY to many wouldn't drop into a cartridge case gauge. Bullets off line with the case, and cases just plain fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I've reloaded thousands of their FMJs without any issues. Never any HPs though
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
how many guns will these blow up?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
how many guns will these blow up?
View Quote
I'll shoot the first few mags left handed, just in case.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've reloaded thousands of their FMJs without any issues. Never any HPs though
View Quote
and thousands In 45 and in 9 and 357 - if there is an issue its the loaded ammo not extreme bullets
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
The op will be lucky to survive this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The op will be lucky to survive this.
View Quote
Maybe then they're looking out for my best interest by not shipping the ammo??  Wow, what a long wait... first time, last time.

Edited original post ... How many moons till my order arrives?  10 days so far and no shipment notification.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, those are extreme plated up.  They won't expand at all, I loaded some 147 subs, they shoot good.  I prefer Rainer or berrys, they are better quality and their shipping is fast.  I took extreme almost a month to get me mine, f that.  On a sidenote, the 115 Rainer go actually expand pretty similar to a xtp, in water.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Xtreme projectiles are good to go. I load them myself all the time as practice ammo. I doubt you'll see any expansion with those rounds. The design is for greater accuracy. If there is any expansion I doubt it will be consistent.

Xtreme does not sell loaded ammunition. By purchasing "new" ammunition from Freedom you are paying for new components vs used brass and/or pulled projectiles. The ammo is still loaded in Freedom under their QC which is the reason for concern from some posters. I'll let you make your own decision on Freedom. Searching here should give you plenty of reading.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#29]
13 days later

Got a shipping notice today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Xtreme has really went downhill. They were all I used for almost everything I load no matter the caliber. I have used thousands and thousands of them. But they just aren't worth it anymore, when I started buying them about 6 years ago they were about half the price they are now with free shipping!!!! I understand that prices go up but 200% for some calibers is . Also as you have found out they are taking longer and longer to ship. And once they do ship they take forever to arrive
I ordered some coated bullets from someone else to try out
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you try searching for FBI gel tests before ordering?  The results will tell you something about the ammo
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I have bought all my pistol ammo from Freedom Munitions for several years without a single issue. To say they are junk is pure bullshit.
The OP's picture is just their hollow point target round. I use their XTP's in all my carry weapons.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Did you try searching for FBI gel tests before ordering?  The results will tell you something about the ammo
View Quote
Yep.  My google search revealed that other people seek the same info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top