Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/6/2017 12:35:05 PM EDT
If you're unfamiliar with Bellingcat, they did some truly amazing open source research on the Russian SAM shooting down MH17 over Ukraine and the Russian attack on the Red Crescent aid convoy in Aleppo. Some of you guys who combed thru the Podesta/DNC documents would probably appreciate the similar work done by Bellingcat.

Bellingcat has consolidated the initial evidence from this attack. No major conclusions have been reached by Bellingcat like how they were able to do with the MH17 attack and the Red Crescent convoy attack, but this post is a very good comprehensive body of what is known and who has said/denied what and how that coincides with other events.

Some highlights:
Photographs and videos from various hospitals treating victims were published online, collected in a playlist along with other relevant videos. These videos showed victims displaying symptoms including pinpoint pupils unreactive to light, foaming at the mouth, and convulsions. While these are consistent with Sarin exposure those symptoms are not exclusive to Sarin exposure.

Russia's government issued a statement saying that Syrian regime forces conducted an attack, but denied that chemical weapons were used by Syria. Also, the timeline of the attack on the rebel held ammunition storage warehouse is 5-6 hours after the attack that caused the casualties consistent with Sarin (and other) chemical weapon use. Journalists were already reporting and broadcasting video of what appeared to be casualties of chemical weapons before the Syrian attack on the ammunition storage warehouse.  The video used to geolocate the strikes (hyperlinked below) shows an attack in the morning as opposed to the attack the Russians say was conducted 11:30-12:30 on the warehouse.  

Eyewitnesses said they saw Su-22s firing rockets at the time of the morning attack. From the best I can tell, Russia retired their Su-22s no later than 2010, while many videos are on the internet showing Syrian Air Force use of Su-22s. The Syrian Air Force has demonstrated that their Su-22s do have a air to ground rocket attack capability.

Impacts of the ordinance were captured on video. Those locations were able to be geolocated. Huge image doing that is here

Bellingcat rules out ISIS involvement, because of "the geographical limitations of transporting chemical weapons across Syria through ISIS and government held territory."

Bellingcat could not identify the munition used in the attack based off of this Facebook image.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Russians are saying the Syrians hit an ammo storage facility belonging to Sunni Islamic Fundamentalists Terrorists (whatever name you want to apply or whatever name they are using today) and it was their sarin gas bombs which exploded and killed surrounding people.

This explanation seems closer to the truth to me than explanations of Syria working against itself by using chemical weapons.  All chemical weapons used in this war in the past have come from the Sunni Islamic Fundamentalists Terrorists and not the Assad government.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Russians are saying the Syrians hit an ammo storage facility belonging to Sunni Islamic Fundamentalists Terrorists (whatever name you want to apply or whatever name they are using today) and it was their sarin gas bombs which exploded and killed surrounding people.

This explanation seems closer to the truth to me than explanations of Syria working against itself by using chemical weapons.  All chemical weapons used in this war in the past have come from the Sunni Islamic Fundamentalists Terrorists and not the Assad government.
View Quote
zdrasvietche tovarisch!  Ochen Priyatno.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Impacts of the ordinance were captured on video. Those locations were able to be geolocated. Huge image doing that is here
View Quote
I would like to see the location of the ammo dump on this image, and in proximity to the missile strikes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
So your telling me that a organization that wants to wage a world wide jihad for the end goal of a global caliphate and is live leak famous for killing hundreds of people in James Bond villain/Loony Tunes style executions wouldn't kill a few dozen people with a chemical weapons attack to paint there main adversary Asad, as the bad guy when they have everything to gain and nothing to lose because they are losing the ground war?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see you didn't read the OP. The Russians said the Syrian attack on the ammo storage facility was 5-6 hours after an earlier attack that caused casualties consistent with chemical weapon use.

Bellingcat reports that there was a second attack around noon local time. At that time there were already people in four hospitals being treated for chemical exposure.

The attack around noon was caught on film here. Notice how it doesn't look like 6:30 am on the video.

The earlier attack - the one that caused casualties consistent with chemical weapons use - was captured on video as well. Notice how the sky looks more like it's morning time at the filming location than the video in the later attack that I hyperlinked above.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
We should not believe any fucking thing that the Russians say. They are not in the business of seeing the USA be a success. They want us to fail, and will tell us whatever that will benefit them and hurt us.

Fuck Russia.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So your telling me that a organization that wants to wage a world wide jihad for the end goal of a global caliphate and is live leak famous for killing hundreds of people in James Bond villain/Loony Tunes style executions wouldn't kill a few dozen people with a chemical weapons attack to paint there main adversary Asad, as the bad guy when they have everything to gain and nothing to lose because they are losing the ground war?
View Quote
ISIS would have had to travel through a lot Syrian regime held territory or a lot of rebel held and partial Syrian regime held territory in order to conduct an attack at that location.

The attack location is roughly where the white star with the arrow pointing at it on this map. It might be a little west of where I placed the white star.

This Situational Map is from December (I added the location of the attack to the map). ISIS has lost even more ground since December.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We should not believe any fucking thing that the Russians say. They are not in the business of seeing the USA be a success. They want us to fail, and will tell us whatever that will benefit them and hurt us.

Fuck Russia.
View Quote
The Russians are the only ones who could possibly want to draw us into the Syrian ground war.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Assad is to blame for this and it's nothing new, he just got caught again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would like to see the location of the ammo dump on this image, and in proximity to the missile strikes.
View Quote
There are two videos that show a structure "being used for storage" damaged in the second attack (before and after videos). It looks like the second attack was on what Bellingcat calls "Hospital B" which was underground and hospital beds are visible in the footage linked in my previous sentence while the structure being used for storage was just close to Hospital B. Su-22s do have precision guided conventional munitions. I believe that damaged facility seen with the green graffiti below is what the Russians are calling the ammunition warehouse. Who knows if that is what the Russians concluded it is or if the Russians are basing that off of what regime forces are telling them that is.

Although the reporter in the second attack is wearing a mask, I don't believe the second attack used or hit any chemical weapons because the mask the reporter is wearing is more like a dust mask and he is interviewing a guy who is wearing no kind of mask.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh.  Well I guess that settles it.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Big reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/63sw27/pol_is_working_around_the_clock_to_determine_if/
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't find it now but I saw a GIF on Twitter showing a "dead victim" open her eyes when the camera started to pan away.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.
View Quote
I don't believe anything ANYONE says!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This whole thing seems like a Gulf of Tonkin incident. I don't give a fuck, not worth American lives and treasure.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There are two videos that show a structure "being used for storage" damaged in the second attack (before and after videos). It looks like the second attack was on what Bellingcat calls "Hospital B" which was underground and hospital beds are visible in the footage linked in my previous sentence while the structure being used for storage was just close to Hospital B. Su-22s do have precision guided conventional munitions. I believe that damaged facility seen with the green graffiti below is what the Russians are calling the ammunition warehouse. Who knows if that is what the Russians concluded it is or if the Russians are basing that off of what regime forces are telling them that is.

Although the reporter in the second attack is wearing a mask, I don't believe the second attack used or hit any chemical weapons because the mask the reporter is wearing is more like a dust mask and he is interviewing a guy who is wearing no kind of mask.

https://i.snag.gy/Q6KHcd.jpg
View Quote
Every picture so far has shown no one wearing any PPE except a gas mask. No gloves, no suits.

How people can be exposed to sarin
  • Following release of sarin into the air, people can be exposed through skin contact or eye contact. They also can be exposed by breathing air that contains sarin.
  • Sarin mixes easily with water. Following release of sarin into water, people can be exposed by touching or drinking water that contains sarin.
  • Following contamination of food with sarin, people can be exposed by eating the contaminated food.
  • A person’s clothing can release sarin after it has come in contact with sarin vapor, which can lead to exposure of other people.
  • Because sarin vapor is heavier than air, it will sink to low-lying areas and create a greater exposure hazard there.
CDC Facts about Sarin.

I don't believe for one second that Assad, 3 days after Trump said, "Maybe he can stay" would pull a bonehead stunt like that. AND, if he did, it wouldn't be 60 to 70 casualties.
I do think it likely that the side that is losing, upon hearing the news that the POTUS is no longer demanding Assad go, might just want to "change their opinion".

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/63sw27/pol_is_working_around_the_clock_to_determine_if/
View Quote
Very interesting conclusions.  Among them.

1. Soros connection.
2. Doctors and rescue workers not wearing protective gear yet being unharmed.
3. Reporting on attack prior to attack by local media.

Photo explaining post.  http://imgur.com/f9aZ2O7
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Scott Adams smells a fake as well.

The reason the Assad government would bomb its own people with a nerve agent right now is obvious. Syrian President Assad – who has been fighting for his life for several years, and is only lately feeling safer – suddenly decided to commit suicide-by-Trump. Because the best way to make that happen is to commit a war crime against your own people in exactly the way that would force President Trump to respond or else suffer humiliation at the hands of the mainstream media.
View Quote
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/159264981001/the-syrian-gas-attack-persuasion
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't put anything past Assad, ISIS, or the Russians.

That having been said, what would be the tactical or strategic advantage to using chemicals on what seem to be non-combatants in this case?

If the US believes Assad ordered the attack, he risks the US becoming much more involved -> and this would actually help ISIS.  Same with Russia; I don't see any upside re: their interests (regardless of whether they had direct involvement or knowledge of the plans).

ISIS seems to be the only party setup to benefit from this event.

What am I missing?

ETA: The only impact we would have, by taking out Assad, would be to strengthen ISIS.  I cannot see why we would do anything unless we plan to deal with ISIS in the end.  That won't be successful long-term, unless the locals can deal with them anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.
View Quote
There's no way to succeed here, only several ways to fail. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every picture so far has shown no one wearing any PPE except a gas mask. No gloves, no suits.

How people can be exposed to sarin
  • Following release of sarin into the air, people can be exposed through skin contact or eye contact. They also can be exposed by breathing air that contains sarin.
  • Sarin mixes easily with water. Following release of sarin into water, people can be exposed by touching or drinking water that contains sarin.
  • Following contamination of food with sarin, people can be exposed by eating the contaminated food.
  • A person’s clothing can release sarin after it has come in contact with sarin vapor, which can lead to exposure of other people.
  • Because sarin vapor is heavier than air, it will sink to low-lying areas and create a greater exposure hazard there.
CDC Facts about Sarin.

I don't believe for one second that Assad, 3 days after Trump said, "Maybe he can stay" would pull a bonehead stunt like that. AND, if he did, it wouldn't be 60 to 70 casualties.
I do think it likely that the side that is losing, upon hearing the news that the POTUS is no longer demanding Assad go, might just want to "change their opinion".

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445260/C8kG8EaW0AAgEuG-182015.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445260/170404144826-05-idlib-chemical-attack-0404-exlarge-169-182016.JPG
View Quote
Re: Sarin
Bellingcat did not conclude Sarin was used. Bellingcat said that injuries consistent with Sarin and consistent with other chemical weapons were seen after the morning attack.

That being said, here are images of Japanese medical professionals treating Sarin attack victims without wearing PPE.

Sarin is considered a non-persistent chemical weapon so hours after it's use it would no longer be effective.

(Cached version of .pdf file)

Turkey's Justice Minister has said that autopsies show chemical agents were used in the 4/4 attack.

Re: Assad doing something stupid after Trump's statement
Maybe he took Trump's statement as license do do the attack. Maybe Syrian Army leadership acted independantly of Assad without his knowledge or permission. Obviously this is just me speculating but either explanation is plausible.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
The whole thing just reeks of the Gulf of Tonkin.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you  want the info to figure out if a blown up chem stash is responsible, you also need to know the exact type of chemical and have the equivalent of a chemical down wind message for that time block.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Turkey performed autopsies on 3 Syrian's killed in the attack. Tests were positive for Sarin.

link
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ISIS seems to be the only party setup to benefit from this event.

What am I missing?
View Quote
From a tactical standpoint, a chemical attack in the rear takes pressure off of the front lines near Hama where FSA rebels have been on the offensive since 3/21.  Hama is just south of the line of contact on Highway M5.  The town circled is where the alleged chemical attack took place.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

From a tactical standpoint, a chemical attack in the rear takes pressure off of the front lines near Hama where FSA rebels have been on the offensive since 3/21.  Hama is just south of the line of contact on Highway M5.  The town circled is where the alleged chemical attack took place.

https://i.snag.gy/j3rdzb.jpg
View Quote
Thanks.  Sure does seem like a big risk though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.snag.gy/j3rdzb.jpg
Definitely. There is also the possibility that Assad didn't know what his Generals authorized, but I don't how likely that is because Sarin in a binary chemical that requires two agents to be mixed before it becomes active.

It is very important for the regime to hold Hama because there is a large prison there that houses many rebel fighters. Those prisoners being freed would bolster the rebels in Syria's northwest.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.
View Quote
Sorry your gal didn't win.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Big reddit thread.

View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Big reddit thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Big reddit thread.

It is by snacks alone that /pol is set in motion. It is by the juice of Dew that thoughts acquire speed, the t-shirt acquires stains, the stains become a warning. It is by snacks alone that /pol is set in motion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I guess MSM is back to showing the sensitive viewing souls pics of dead kids.

Queue up pic of Bill Kristol saying "I'll give you a war!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This whole thing seems like a Gulf of Tonkin incident. I don't give a fuck, not worth American lives and treasure.
View Quote
Gassing cockroaches is a bad thing?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#35]
the vids of the deaths and decontamination from the Sarin attack are supposedly White Helmets doing the rescues/ aid

Here's a vid of White Helmets at work.

White Helmets Mannequin Challenge
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not buying that Asad is behind this.
View Quote
If the information Bellingcat has put forth is accurate, Who had the ability to deliver an air strike with chemical elements?  You are not dealing with rational actors. In so far as the last Sarin attack led to little real action against Syria, perhaps the decision was made that the outcome of such an attack, with denials and counter assertions, would outweigh the risks of a western response. They may be testing the resolve of the new admin as well. 

If if we move beyond motivation and deal explicitly with capability, other actors seem unlikely given the information Bellingcat put forward. The question become how much do you trust Bellingcats information.

An attack with a likely outcome resulting  in small tactical advantage would lead one to look for explanations other than such an advantage though. Lot of missing information all around though. That's always troublesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

the vids of the deaths and decontamination from the Sarin attack are supposedly White Helmets doing the rescues/ aid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgl271A6LgQ
View Quote
I don't think that is from the alleged Sarin attack.

Unless the White Helmets have a time machine.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Netflix and the White Helmets, hand in hand with al Qaeda
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://i.snag.gy/fh2FMb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgl271A6LgQ

https://i.snag.gy/fh2FMb.jpg
See next vid.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

See next vid.
View Quote
Since the only mention of the White Helmets in that Bellingcat post is in the comments section, what are you suggesting is the White Helmets involvement in the alleged chemical attack?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.
Not trusting the Russians makes one a Hillary supporter?

No shit?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.
View Quote
OTOH, the democrats are on this bandwagon and we should not believe anything a fucking democrat says either. Democrats as well are not in the business of seeing the USA be a success. They want us to fail, and will tell us whatever that will benefit them and hurt us.

Fuck Schumer, Pelosi, et al.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Since the only mention of the White Helmets in that Bellingcat post is in the comments section, what are you suggesting is the White Helmets involvement in the alleged chemical attack?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See next vid.
Because it was suggested by a news report that it was a White Helmets 'rescue'.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OTOH, the democrats are on this bandwagon and we should not believe anything a fucking democrat says either. Democrats as well are not in the business of seeing the USA be a success. They want us to fail, and will tell us whatever that will benefit them and hurt us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck Russia.

All of that is true.  And although I wouldn't believe Pelosi and Schumer if they said the sky was blue and water was wet...

...I've always known that the sky was blue and water was wet.  

Just as I've always know that Russia is a sneaky and untrustworthy adversary.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link? So are you suggesting that the White Helmets have overstated their involvement in rescue operations after the 4/4 attack or are you suggesting something else?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll have a coke. A Mexican coke at that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't care care if they used photon torpedoes. It's not worth us getting involved.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Link? So are you suggesting that the White Helmets have overstated their involvement in rescue operations after the 4/4 attack or are you suggesting something else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/syria-alleged-poison-gas-chemical-attack-khan-sheikhoun-idlib-civilians/
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/syria-alleged-poison-gas-chemical-attack-khan-sheikhoun-idlib-civilians/
Here's the only mention of the White Helmets in your link-
Video and photos posted online by the Syrian Civil Defense, the volunteer first-responders’ organization commonly known as the White Helmets, showed young children purportedly killed in the attack on Khan Sheikhoun, which took place early Tuesday morning.

A member of the White Helmets team in Idlib posted a message on Twitter saying at least 37 civilians were killed and hundreds injured in what he called a “poisonous gas attack” on the town. The images he posted showed children -- at least eight in one video -- seemingly dead but without any apparent external injuries.

Are you saying the White Helmets are wrong in their videos and photos posted online after the 4/4 attack? If so, what is wrong (type of attack, location of attack, numbers of people killed/wounded, etc...)?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top