Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 8:20:18 PM EDT
Shot my first paint ball gun this pass week. A friend brought his to the range. I was shootin my handgun, my target was about 18yds. away I wanted to see what kind of groups I would get with that thing. when I shot the target the dam balls went right through the cardboard! I could'nt belive it, that thing must hurt. no wonder theirs so many fights at those matches. Anyone of you ever got hit by those paint balls? Wonder If you freeze the balls, you could kill a cat or something like that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They throw those balls at around 300 fps on the paintball field. They don't hurt, but you do feel the impact. You freeze them and I have heard that they can break bones, but I don't have anything to back this up.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well to start the freezing paintballs thing is a myth.  You cannot freeze paintballs.  When you do they dimple and become very fragile.  Getting shot from a paintball doesn't hurt that much.  At 300fps it is like getting snapped by a towel.  After you play for awhile you get used to the feeling and when you get hit your know it but feel no pain!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
YESSSSS, they hurt...should get marker chronographed to less than 300f.p.s.

freezing expands the paint, can cause jamming in barrel when paintball swells...seemed like a nice evil idea though.

anyone know where i can get a .68 caliber ball bearing? I got this neighbor...[frag]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You used to be able to freeze paintballs, but back in 1988 or 1989 (ahh... Nelspot 007 days...)they added alcohol to the non-toxic paint mix. Now, if it's too cold paintballs dimple and their skin becomes almost like an eggshell.

The fields around me usually chrono the guns in at 280 or 290, you get used to being hit. The latest and greatest though is an electo-pneumatic paintball gun that uses a microprocessor (yeah thats right) to control a pneumatic ram which fires the gun. Some electro markers can shoot full-auto 14-18 shots per second. No shit.

SAMHAIN44
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
PS - instead of freezing, try marbles coated with petroleum jelly. They don't fly long distances like paintballs, but it's fun.

SAMHIN44
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a GT2000.  I have been playing for about a year.  If you have ever been hit from 10 feet you know pain.  It knocked the wind out of me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes they hurt a bit and can make a welt, depending on the range.  I'd compare it to getting snapped with a rubber band.  When I occasionally play I wear thermal long johns (underneath, that is) and that keeps the bruising down.

Once, playing indoors, this buffed guy got shot on the neck by one of his 'friends' from a range of about 1-2 feet.  So-called friend realized his mistake and let out a (nervous, I hope) laugh.   Amazing restraint on the part of the victim was all that saved this guy from  the hospital.  I was hoping he'd get a little more than the ass-chewing he received.

My understanding is that for the colder climates, they use balls a slightly different paint formulation because even without freezing they get worse on the receiving end, not to mention other problems cited above.

With the infrequent play I've had (maybe 20 days so far) I have yet to see a fight, but I haven't played a tournament & hear they get much more aggresssive, more cheating & yelling so I 'spose it can happen.

[red][size=4]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My understanding is that for the colder climates, they use balls a slightly different paint formulation because even without freezing they get worse on the receiving end.

[red][size=4]P.R.K.
View Quote

I played in sleet once.  I had M65 field pants on with liner.  I couldn't feel a thing.  It was a good day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
i love playing paintball, its the only time you can legally shoot someone. has anyone invited billy (klonton) over yet, he hasnt accepted any of my offers.  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]
what kind of guns you all have?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a F4 Illustrator.

And you are WRONG about paintballs not hurting. Not if you take it right in teh forehead, right above your goggles.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it is a REALLY fun game.

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the following...

2 Autocockers (1 Tricked out)
1 AutoMag
1 Angel LCD
1 Spyder

I have been playing for the last 7 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Close range hits to unprotected areas or crotch shots can hurt a little. I used to think it was stupid before I tried it but it's a lot of fun and amazingly can teach you a few things that can translate over to real combat: hitting moving targets, using available cover, using movement to make your opponets miss (run, zigzag, etc..).

What are the best things in life?
To crush your enemy and drive them before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Oh, I have an Angel, one bad-ass paintball gun, can shoot like 12 balls a sec. Cost more than any of my real guns (except my Les Baer 1911).

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
ats at85. i've taken some pings, you feel it.

we actually play at night on a golf course. whole different game.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
one of our fields had an "open day" no field fees and reduced prices on rentals and paint so the national guard could come out and play against us civvies, fun time they let us ride around in some of the hummers and stuff, but they beat us 10 out of 10 games. Keep in mind most of us civvies were experienced paintballers [i]from[/i] those fields and we knew them well but even the "weekend warriors" did a serious ass-whomping on us "Armchair Commandos"
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been playing paintball for a few years now (recreationally) and just can't seem to get enough. It's hard to justify spending money on paintball guns and ammo AND AR assc. and ammo.

It doesn't really hurt when you get hit because you are so caught up in the action that you are more angry that you have been tagged out than the fact you got shot with a gelatinous ball travelling at 300fps!

For those who haven't tried it yet, just play one time and you will get hooked. At least thats the way it was for people that I know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a tricked out automag until I went to college and needed to sell something for money. Now I have a old Mirage, but I don't play anymore.

I have been hit all over my body, and with the notable exception of a crotch shot I took, none of them ever bothered me.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I played for about 2 years and I had a 2000 Autocoker and a Bushmaster electro, both with Max-Flow high pressure air. I ended up selling all my stuff to buy firearms, including my DPMS A-15.

The hits that really hurt are the "bounces". The ball hits but doesn't rupture and bounces off of you. I guess they hurt more because when the ball breaks it absorbs alot of the energy.

Getting hit never really bothered me. In the summer I would wear a sleeveless shirt, JT goggles, shorts, Redz knee and shin guards, soccer cleats, and a CUP (very important, lest you be very impotent!).
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't seen them in years (like 10+), but there was a non-leathal shotgun round called Cart-a-Buck. It was very simmilar to regular buckshot except the the buckshot was rubber balls.
The dia. on the balls was either .62 or .68.
The reason that I remember it was that I was talking to a guy that was set up at a gun show and had cut apart a few rounds and had them put into the stripper clips of his Tippmann SMG.
I can't for the life of me remember if he had it converted over to .68 or weather it was still the .62 variety.
Either way, this was the only thing that his wife would let into the house loaded for home protection. He told me that he keeps a CO2 tank on it screwed in just enough to keep it on the gun and not have the gun powered up and he would crank the velocity up to max on the gun.
Imagine the sound that an intruder would hear with the sound of a SMG going off and getting pellted by 20-30 of those little beauties.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.
That would be Welt City to the max.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Paintball can hurt.  The closer the target is the greater the potential for pain.  Most of the time its a sting that dones't last a long time.  You can get bruises.  I've seen guys get shot in the nick and throat and leave with some nasty looking bruises.  

I always wear a cup.  The one time I didn't I took a direct shot to my left one from about 30 yards.  It hurt like hell and was sore for about 10 days.  Needless to say I have never played with out my cup since.

I've got a couple of Tippmann M98's and a tricked out Automag.  I love the game.  I live in Houston and it gets to hot to play in the summer.

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes they hurt bad. If you get shot in clothes it is not that bad but on skin hurts. I have been shot in the back of the head at like 5 feet (my own team mate of course) and I thought it cracked my skull or something. Only time it has ever hurt worse was when a paintball somehow managed to go around that forehead guard and hit me right above the temple. Could not see for a while, and I had a nice bruise. As far as shooting animals I don't know what it would do to a cat but it sure pisses of squirells. It's a lot of fun to shoot them off of the fence as they run past. LOL
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Ehhhhh, they don't hurt that bad, I got shot in the thigh from 10-15ft away by a Spyder Semiauto, it left a dark purple bruise, but when you get hit in some places it feels like you're getting lightly frogged but in like fatty areas it feels like getting popped with a towel and sometimes the broken shell with cut you alittle. But I always tried to hit people in the goggles as much as I could, it wouldn't leave a bruise and paintballs don't freeze so well but I just kept mine refrigerated to keep them from melting together and to make them alittle harder for a more accurate shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Aloha, Silver Surfer! Although P-balls do hurt, you'll probably find that the seasoned/experienced players will say that they don't due to years of being desensitized. It's usually the newbies that will cry bloody murder and are more prone to exaggeration.

Many years ago I met up with an ex-Marine sniper (3 confirmed kills, so he says) and his military wannabe friend. They came on the field with cocky attitudes intact, proudly weilding their newly acquired *gulp* Stingray and Spyder. Prior to the game they directly challenged myself and a team mate to some 2 on 2. Needless to say we won every single challenge. Would have lasted longer, but on the 6th game I rapidly fired 11 rounds (game was videotaped and rounds were counted in slow motion) into the Marine's neck. Rounds mostly hit along the carotid artery region. Somehow he blacked out, but because he was already in prone position when shot I thought he had just rendered into a state of submission. When the game ended we noticed he was no where to be found. Found him knocked out at the same spot I dispatched him. They both went home sans cocky attitudes. Never saw them again. Suppose they'd agree that P-balls hurt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Paintball, my favorite subject.  Yes, it does hurt when you get hit but it is not as bad as you would think.  

Here are my guns

Angel & AutoCocker

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/zy/LV/bq/KI54138.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn BoomBoom, that's a nice Autococker! I love mine, it's basically like yours but the body parts are bronze annodized. I wished that I could afford an Angel, just can't justify it.
I've got an Automag RT also, that badboy rips!

I play 2x a month. Have been since '86. The wife even plays ever now and again. If you want to have some REAL fun, play in an automobile junkyard. Literaly thousands of places to hide and ambush from. We have a guy that lets us play in his junkyard once in awhile. Have to be damn careful though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top