Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2017 3:01:51 PM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/suiting-swiss-guard-austrian-blacksmiths-slideshow-wp-165420756/photo-p-blacksmith-johann-schmidberger-works-photo-165420652.html

Faced with an aged stock in need of replacement, the Guards turned to brothers Johann and Georg Schmidberger—the fifth generation to run the family blacksmith’s business in the Austrian town of Molln—to provide them with 80 suits of armor covering the torso and arms.The brothers have produced 10 of the suits a year since 2009, meaning the deal will be completed this year, and new replacements will not be needed for quite some time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat that there are still people out there who know how to do that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That's really cool, thanks OP.
Only 10 suits per year... that's time/labor intensive.  Wow
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
is it bullet proof or stab proof?

or just for all show?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be fun to apprentice under them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
That would be awesome lined with kevlar. Then you could be stab proof and bullet proof.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta be places in Detroit where they could just stamp out all the parts...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It's amazing what people can do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

or just for all show?
View Quote
Well, with ceramic underplate and a Kevlar gambeson...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I walked around the Vatican once and rounded a corner to be surprised with guards standing there at a driveway/gate with halberds and full medieval armor on.

Was pretty neat...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Cost per unit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cost per unit?
View Quote
$6800-9500 USD per unit, depends on material and treatment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's really cool, thanks OP.
Only 10 suits per year... that's time/labor intensive.  Wow
View Quote
I enjoy watching craftsman make things like this. The Holland and Holland video on youtube is a big favorite of mine. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

or just for all show?
View Quote
Plate armor is pretty much stab proof.  Bullet proof?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or just for all show?
Depends on the plate. If it's just for show, basically stamped sheet metal, a good knife will go through it relatively easy.

The breastplate, if made of a proper type of steel that is of sufficient thickness, will stop some pistol rounds. Of course, if it's thick enough to stop any kind of bullet, it's probably going to be ridiculously heavy compared to what actual medieval plate armor weighed. Only the breastplate would be made that way, the rest would almost certainly be thinner and lighter so it wouldn't be impossible to wear day in and day out. Regardless, rifle rounds will still zip trough that armor like butter.

I'd wager it's made thin and light, but their uniform may possibly include a kevlar vest underneath.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cost per unit?
Do you have a link that says that?

Because my gut says that with the heritage of the shop, you should maybe add another zero to that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#17]
These guys need to read about the F35 procurement! Let your contract complete? Rookie mistake! Drag your feet for EVAH!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These guys need to read about the F35 procurement! Let your contract complete? Rookie mistake! Drag your feet for EVAH!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know shit about armor but it doesn't appear that any part of that is adjustable. I'll assume the Swiss Guard has a pretty stringent height-weight requirement.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know shit about armor but it doesn't appear that any part of that is adjustable. I'll assume the Swiss Guard has a pretty stringent height-weight requirement.
View Quote
If you look at pictures you'll see guys wearing armour that doesn't fit them, either too large or too small.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Craftsman still exist.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

or just for all show?
View Quote
At one point in time it was.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because my gut says that with the heritage of the shop, you should maybe add another zero to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cost per unit?

6000 euros. A priest blogger helped raise it so a married corporal could get his own set fitted to him and engraved. Otherwise you get whatever kinda sorta fits.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/03/action-item-lets-get-a-custom-breastplate-for-a-swiss-guard/

Father Z is also a gun guy
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Very cool

I bet they will stop most pistol rounds just fine, and they are going to be pretty much stab/slash proof.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
There's also pics of part of the armory out on the Web. It's clear that they do not dispose of obsolete weapons.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's also pics of part of the armory out on the Web. It's clear that they do not dispose of obsolete weapons.
View Quote
There are no obsolete weapons. Those cannon and swords will still do the job just fine and it appears that they are still maintained. I bet they'd disperse a riot better than anything produced today.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, I'd pay a stupid amount for an authentic K31 from the Swiss Guard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]
They have completed 10 a year, but that does not mean those 10 are the only projects completed in those
years.  Likewise, the price might not represent their normal price structure. This project is great advertising
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]
...The brothers’ workshop, where all kinds of hammers are piled high near a furnace and anvil, will continue to supply swords, locks, gates and other items to customers including theaters and private collectors.
And, for the coming years at least, he and his brother will produce the Guards’ distinctive crested helmets, he said. 

I thought they were going to be out of work.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

or just for all show?
View Quote
Hokey religions and ancient are no match for a blaster at your side kid.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Depends on the plate. If it's just for show, basically stamped sheet metal, a good knife will go through it relatively easy.

The breastplate, if made of a proper type of steel that is of sufficient thickness, will stop some pistol rounds. Of course, if it's thick enough to stop any kind of bullet, it's probably going to be ridiculously heavy compared to what actual medieval plate armor weighed. Only the breastplate would be made that way, the rest would almost certainly be thinner and lighter so it wouldn't be impossible to wear day in and day out. Regardless, rifle rounds will still zip trough that armor like butter.

I'd wager it's made thin and light, but their uniform may possibly include a kevlar vest underneath.
View Quote
I'm assuming that it is more than just stamped sheet metal, given that they went to a traditional blacksmith to get it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

or just for all show?
View Quote
Probably more worried about RUST proof. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Probably more worried about RUST proof. 
View Quote
I know you're joking but they meticulously maintain all their equipment even the obsolete stuff. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump for a cool story. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top