Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 2:21:36 AM EDT
I was outside letting the dogs out when I heard what I thought was a cat fight in the barn. Naturally I ran over to see what was going on since the barn cats don't normally fight each other.
I get there in time to see a fucking possum running away from the cats and trying to get into the stacks of hay bales... Well I shot the fucker with my Shield while it was trying to squeeze into the hay and I thought it exploded because there were all these pink things flying all over.  Ya, I hit the damn thing in the pouch and sprayed blind baby possums all over the barn 

oh well, cats got to eat to I guess 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't shoot possums. They eat too many bad things I don't like.

Coons are another story.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
In for the possum kitteh pics. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
meh, I killed one with a pick axe last week.... That wasnt pretty....
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Coons are another story.
View Quote
A raccoon killed 5 of my chickens last fall. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Coons are another story.
View Quote
they really fuck up the hay. Can't feed cattle hay that's covered in possum piss and shit 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
How come I never get cool kills like that?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]
165 grain HST does not fuck around btw 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to have one visit my back porch nightly. I'd go outside. It would see me and hang around and leave me alone at night. It did not care I was around and the feeling was mutual. I miss the thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to have one visit my back porch nightly. I'd go outside. It would see me and hang around and leave me alone at night. It did not care I was around and the feeling was mutual. I miss the thing.
View Quote
I don't mind them on the property but I can't let them live in the barn and ruin the hay and steal the cat food. 

Picture of murder weapon. The light/laser was pretty handy!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
ya, that's not gonna happen. Possum is in the garbage can and the cats ate the babies already. I guess they figured they were baby mice or something. 

Pictures wouldn't do it justice. You had to be there to see all those little pink things go flying out. surprised the hell out of me. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
A 22lr rifle was the proper tool for this job IMO. Too much gun OP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A 22lr rifle was the proper tool for this job IMO. Too much gun OP.
View Quote
I used what I had on me. It's always good to get in a little practice with your carry gun  Possum went down like a sack of bricks. Good thing for dirt floors in the barn  I'd hate to clean that mess off concrete 

I normally use a 17HMR for critters around the barn/pastures. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
A dingo ate my baby.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#15]
YOu Go OP, those things are the dirtiest, smelliest critters, got to keep them out of your space!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw one get hit by a car a few years ago... the babies all came squirting out... wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Coons are another story.
View Quote
Same here.  They seem to impose their own population control via the road.  They aren't aggressive like coons can be.  I did shoot one last year that was running around in the middle of the day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Coons are another story.
View Quote
Yep. I leave possums alone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was outside letting the dogs out when I heard what I thought was a cat fight in the barn. Naturally I ran over to see what was going on since the barn cats don't normally fight each other.
I get there in time to see a fucking possum running away from the cats and trying to get into the stacks of hay bales... Well I shot the fucker with my Shield while it was trying to squeeze into the hay and I thought it exploded because there were all these pink things flying all over.  Ya, I hit the damn thing in the pouch and sprayed blind baby possums all over the barn 

oh well, cats got to eat to I guess 
View Quote

Something similar happened to me.

Outside dog barking like crazy, alerting at something. I pull out the AR with flashlight and shine toward the direction dog is alerting.

See little pink eyes reflecting back. Decided "fuck that thing whatever it is " put the reticle between the eyes and pulled the trigger.

Walked out there to see if was raccon or possum or whatever...Possum...with probably 6 babies hanging all over it riding along.

"Fuck!" Now I had to murder an entire family including little babies.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
YOu Go OP, those things are the dirtiest, smelliest critters, got to keep them out of your space!
View Quote
I leave them alone unless they are in the barns or garbage.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Just had to shoot another one! Damn thing wouldn't run away from me in broad daylight it just hissed at me drooling... I need to start carrying my 22/45 instead of my Shield. Those HST rounds aren't cheap 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
possums don't carry rabies like bats and raccoons do. I stopped killing them and started feeding them because I was tired of pulling ticks off my dogs. I haven't seen a tick in 12 years.  btw they love apples
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#24]
link to that laser? Wonder if it would fit my 9c

EDIT NVRMND  found it
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
possums don't carry rabies like bats and raccoons do. I stopped killing them and started feeding them because I was tired of pulling ticks off my dogs. I haven't seen a tick in 12 years.  btw they love apples
View Quote
I already said earlier that I only shoot them if they are in the barn. They piss and shit all over hay and take over the cat boxes.  This other one was just standing outside at 2pm and wouldn't run away when I walked up on it. Just sat there hissing at me and drooling so I figured better safe then sorry.
 I should use this gun for putting down critters more often it works way better then a 22 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I love this place.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
link to that laser? Wonder if it would fit my 9c

EDIT NVRMND  found it
View Quote
sorry, I missed your post. It's a TLR-6 light/laser combo. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
sorry, I missed your post. It's a TLR-6 light/laser combo. 
View Quote
I have to ask: at any point did you turn on the laser, and using your best Arnold voice ask the possum "Sarah Connor?"

I would have.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Dog had one up against a fence last week. I went out with the baton. Possum looked at the raised baton and forgot rule #1. 

Never. Ever. Take your eyes off the dog. 

I didn't even see her move. She is so fast. Part red bone, part Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a bunch of other stuff. In the time it took me to blink- she struck, got the possum by the back of the neck and shook it dead. Then walked off as if to say "I don't trust these f----ers. Hang on." Then dropped it and proceeded to break every vertebra in it's spine by chomping on it.

Then looked at me like "OK. Now who's going to dispose of this? I did my job."
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Had one walk in between me and a target a few years ago at our farm.  Darn thing was a zombie and too several .223 before a few 9mm finally finished it off.

Waiting for the dinner pick thread....
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have to ask: at any point did you turn on the laser, and using your best Arnold voice ask the possum "Sarah Connor?"

I would have.
View Quote
I have it so the laser comes on with the light.   No Arnold voice tho 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coons are another story.
Buy some dog-proof raccoon traps.  While I love #220 Conibears and still use them, there is more of a chance of killing cats or dogs.  The trap below cannot be set off by a dog or cat because they cannot reach in for the bait.

Once caught, they're not going anywhere.  Walk up to them and blow them away.  Set the trap in such a way as to have a safe back-stop when you shoot.  Bait with small marshmallows.  They absolutely cannot resist them.  You can put something stronger-smelling like sardines near the traps to get them to the general area, but bait the inside of the trap with small marshmallows and lead a trail of them to the trap.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Buy some dog-proof raccoon traps.  While I love #220 Conibears and still use them, there is more of a chance of killing cats or dogs.  The trap below cannot be set off by a dog or cat because they cannot reach in for the bait.

http://www.windyridgetrapper.com/web_images/dp_duke_dog_proof.bmp

Once caught, they're not going anywhere.  Walk up to them and blow them away.  Set the trap in such a way as to have a safe back-stop when you shoot.  Bait with small marshmallows.  They absolutely cannot resist them.  You can put something stronger-smelling like sardines near the traps to get them to the general area, but bait the inside of the trap with small marshmallows and lead a trail of them to the trap.

http://wolfernation.com/free-videos/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/trapping-549.jpg
View Quote
I used to have one of those set in the barn by the trunk with the cat food. Caught a possum once and a fucking skunk   Damn barn still smells like skunk a year later 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Had to shoot another one! Fuckers just love my barn  Used my 17hmr so no exploding baby pouch 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top