Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 6:48:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought manual interior trunk latch releases were mandatory after 2012 or so?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the body shop forgot to replace it after the car was rear-ended by a bus.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought manual interior trunk latch releases were mandatory after 2012 or so?
View Quote
This, but that might not apply since the Veloster is a hatchback, and I believe there is access to the the main passenger area from the rear compartment.
If the trunk area is separate, then yes, there must be an interior emergency release that can be operated without tools.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This, but that might not apply since the Veloster is a hatchback, and I believe there is access to the the main passenger area from the rear compartment.
If the trunk area is separate, then yes, there must be an interior emergency release that can be operated without tools.
View Quote
I had a 2012 Focus ST hatch, and I'm pretty sure it had a lever. You can't unlock the folding seatbacks from the "trunk" area anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the interior trunk panel off of one of these recently for a hatch switch replacement.  It also did not have anything protruding.  The exterior switch was broken, so I had to crawl in the back and use a screwdriver to open the hatch from the interior.  

On that vehicle, the interior is completely accessible from the trunk, so no need for a "safety" release.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the interior trunk panel off of one of these recently for a hatch switch replacement.  It also did not have anything protruding.  The exterior switch was broken, so I had to crawl in the back and use a screwdriver to open the hatch from the interior.  

On that vehicle, the interior is completely accessible from the trunk, so no need for a "safety" release.
View Quote
Fair enough.  Sounds like OP is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
New or Used vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Like others said above. The vehicle was worked on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

well...damn.

Yep - hers has been back twice for that hatch switch not working.  Also, there does not appear to be any control in the front cabin to actuate the rear hatch latch. The only method she says is the key fob. Can you confirm this?

My question is why would they even emboss that diagram on the rear panel if there wasn't supposed to be a protruding lever?
View Quote
A select few of the Velosters (I don't know the production date range) had an actual service campaign to replace the exterior hatch switch.  The others are just replaced if they break.  Basically people pull open the trunk with the button, instead of the bezel around it and the switch gets broken off of it's mount.  

As far as the diagram, you CAN open the trunk that way.  I don't know for sure, but you could probably use the vehicle key to operate it.  There is no electrical release inside the vehicle.  Just exterior switch, remote and the manual release inside the trunk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Fabricate a solution? 

Sell solution on Ebay as a kit?

Profit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
War86 - thank you for the excellent information. Not what I was hoping to hear, but it answers all my questions.

The hive comes through again.  Awesome.
View Quote
Glad to be of help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two parking in the driveway now, a 2013 and a 2017. Neither has a knob, just the slot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top