Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 99
Posted: 3/21/2017 7:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony]
I will try to respond to your question with a mention @
or if you need me, PM or @ me.

---

Number one things you should do to your kia

Change oil every 4000 miles or 6 months, or 3000 miles or 6 months if you have a turbo engine, most likely you fall under severe driving conditions so you can't go the full 8000 or 1 year, just change it, or bad things can happen.

Change your trans fluid every "60k severe" to "100k normal" with oem fluid, DCT and old school manuals are 75k, I don't care what the manual says, ignore it, i have seen to much shit first hand, "lifetime fluid is bullshit"

Differentials and PTUs vary a bit but 75k is a good rounded off number.

We ABSOLUTELY HATE aftermarket remote starts, i cant say for other manufactures, but are systems are sensitive anytime you tap in to something that was not designed to have any more strain on it, they can fuck up so much stuff its crazy, dash clusters, radios, power locks, freaking engine control problems, list goes on, OEM remote start or bust.

For god sakes if you're going to buy a Kia and you want one with the sunroof buy one with the sunroof and don't make some aftermarket company install one
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My gf has a 2015 Rio, is it going to fall apart like I think it will? How reliable are these?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: superdav] [#2]
I asked in a thread of yours one time and was wondering if you've heard any more about it.
We had a 2014 Sorrento and had the radio pulled and/or replaced 6 times. This started before we had 10K miles on the car. It would freeze and not respond to anything, sometimes it would do nothing. No sound no music nothing, sometimes it would get stuck on satellite radio and not change to anything else. It could last for hours or days. It once went almost 2 weeks dead. They never could figure out what was wrong with it and about 7 or 8 thousand miles out of warranty it did it again. When I showed up at the dealership they said it was out of warranty and I would have to pay for repairs.

The bell rang and it was on.
I had a room full of people waiting to get their oil changed at full attention watching the show and second guessing their purchase. I called a lady that we had been working with, I forget her title but she is a big shot of some kind over maintenance in the south named Sally and she changed his mind and after some negotiating they took the car back and we owed nothing. The whole ordeal has removed one option from my future car purchases.
Have you heard of this problem since I last asked? Im curious

ETA telling me I had to PAY for a loaner car while they worked on it REALLY pissed me off too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you its a v6 i got an estimate of 700 including all belts but not the water pump in SC does that sound about right?

it was my fathers car,  he has passed now so I would really like it done right.

Thx
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sdboy:
2011 Sorrento slams into gear during a downshift but only when it it is not warmed up. After a couple miles everything is fine. Only does it shortly after starting.
View Quote
Hmm could not say I would have to be there, autos are temperamental things, I have seen ones with old burnt up fluid do wonky things though, and internal sensor failuers
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

my old edc

http://i.imgur.com/MAjGyF8.jpg
View Quote
Your knife to gun ratio is off.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By msg125:
My gf has a 2015 Rio, is it going to fall apart like I think it will? How reliable are these?
View Quote
it will be fine, the 1.6 engine and 6 speed trans have been made for a while now, it will be good for 10 years, there cheap and bouncy but there good, not really special though, new rio is around the corner, looks much better too

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Why does the Optima get  decent gas mileage while the higher end Cadenza barely gets in the low 20's?? I sure liked sitting in the Cadenza and it seemed nicer in every way than my wife's Optima.. But hers is a Hybrid and the mpg sure is nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By superdav:
I asked in a thread of yours one time and was wondering if you've heard any more about it.
We had a 2014 Sorrento and had the radio pulled and/or replaced 6 times. This started before we had 10K miles on the car. It would freeze and not respond to anything, sometimes it would do nothing. No sound no music nothing, sometimes it would get stuck on satellite radio and not change to anything else. It could last for hours or days. It once went almost 2 weeks dead. They never could figure out what was wrong with it and about 7 or 8 thousand miles out of warranty it did it again. When I showed up at the dealership they said it was out of warranty and I would have to pay for repairs.

The bell rang and it was on.
I had a room full of people waiting to get their oil changed at full attention watching the show and second guessing their purchase. I called a lady that we had been working with, I forget her title but she is a big shot of some kind over maintenance in the south named Sally and she changed his mind and after some negotiating they took the car back and we owed nothing. The whole ordeal has removed one option from my future car purchases.
Have you heard of this problem since I last asked? Im curious

ETA telling me I had to PAY for a loaner car while they worked on it REALLY pissed me off too.
View Quote
i have heard of this we actuly delt with this rather recently, Mobis has had a bad string of odd audio unit related problems that they, kia, and hyundai have seemingly not been able to narrow down yet, we have torn entire car interiors apart, back probing connectors, you name it,

infinity had a problem like this for quite a while, that they finaly seemed to fix

only time, engineering, and then a recall will fix this, i can tell you kia hyundai for sure do not like to replace audio units, it costs them FUCKING TONS of money,

a new audio unit, under warrenty, is any wear from 2500 to 5000$ a piece, rebuilds are cheap
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RoofTopShot:
Why does the Optima get  decent gas mileage while the higher end Cadenza barely gets in the low 20's?? I sure liked sitting in the Cadenza and it seemed nicer in every way than my wife's Optima.. But hers is a Hybrid and the mpg sure is nice.
View Quote
cadenza is a big girl, a full size car not a midsize, and a v6, and lots of sound deadening and leather, so its also heavy

the refinment is worth the gas hit.

or you could get a top end optima or hybrid, with nappa leather, mmmmm so nice

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your dealer sell or service K900's?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
2013 Sorento...Darn airbag idiot light on the dash is lit.  Dealer couldn't 'figure it out' as to why after the diagnostics.  Any ideas?  Am I going to die in a fiery crash?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Hyundai or Kia?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ssgbunny448:
2013 Sorento...Darn airbag idiot light on the dash is lit.  Dealer couldn't 'figure it out' as to why after the diagnostics.  Any ideas?  Am I going to die in a fiery crash?
View Quote
i do know certain 2013 sorentos have a TSB that is airbag related, circuit resistance related i believe, might not apply to you though, i dont have scan tool data so i could not tell you anything anyway

if their is one thing us techs dont like to F with, its airbags and high voltage Hybrid circuits
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Probably, might not have enough space for you though
View Quote
Thanks, I don't need much room, my range bag or a hunting duffle or my kayak fishing stuff.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't a Kia just a Hyundai with a flashy body and some bells and whistles?

Last I checked, Hyundais would self destruct at 100,001 miles or ten years and 1 minute, whichever came first. Has that resale vs. repair cost equation changed?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:

Thanks, I don't need much room, my range bag or a hunting duffle or my kayak fishing stuff.
View Quote
Get a Subaru.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a fully loaded 2011 Kia Optima that has been pretty good to me.
At 83k the engine seized and was still under warranty so they took care of it.

They had my car for 6 weeks and during this time they put me in a 2016 Toyota Sequoia.
I racked up some miles in it driving all all florida to sporting events with my son and his buddies.

Fucillo Kia....its Huuuuge.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
i do know certain 2013 sorentos have a TSB that is airbag related, circuit resistance related i believe, might not apply to you though, i dont have scan tool data so i could not tell you anything anyway

if their is one thing us techs dont like to F with, its airbags and high voltage Hybrid circuits
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ssgbunny448:

I used to really enjoy sending one of the new guys under a dashboard to fart around with airbag wiring while I slid an optikleen bottle with a tire vale under the car, clipped to an air hose. Never failed to produce soiled shorts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GearForGuns:
View Quote
no, only a small group are allowed to, and the ones that do are the only ones that can be authorized to do warranty work on them too

i have only personally seen two in person, one in a parking lot, the other was a guy from Florida visiting relatives
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By knifewrench:
Hyundai or Kia?
View Quote
KIA
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]

KIA
View Quote
KIA Optima & Cadenza

Genesis Coupe, Genesis Sedan,

I like these on each side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mossberg:
Isn't a Kia just a Hyundai with a flashy body and some bells and whistles?

Last I checked, Hyundais would self destruct at 100,001 miles or ten years and 1 minute, whichever came first. Has that resale vs. repair cost equation changed?
View Quote
kia and hyundai share stuff, but not like the way, like GM does, we have many similarity's, but many many differences, like the new cadenza has a 8 speed auto, but the azera only has the old 6speed

plus their are other quirky cars kia has that you dont even see here, like the neat Pincanto, angry little 3 banger turbo car

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#23]
no, only a small group are allowed to, and the ones that do are the only ones that can be authorized to do warranty work on them too

i have only personally seen two in person, one in a parking lot, the other was a guy from Florida visiting relatives
View All Quotes

Consider yourself lucky then.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Natron11:
I have a fully loaded 2011 Kia Optima that has been pretty good to me.
At 83k the engine seized and was still under warranty so they took care of it.

They had my car for 6 weeks and during this time they put me in a 2016 Toyota Sequoia.
I racked up some miles in it driving all all florida to sporting events with my son and his buddies.

Fucillo Kia....its Huuuuge.
View Quote
was it a turbo engine?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]

was it a turbo engine?
View Quote
No turbo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Consider yourself lucky then.
View Quote
ehh not even close to some of the crap i have seen

never again will i change oil on a Volkswagen phaeton

or a merc
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#27]

No turbo.
View Quote
hmmm, if only i was there, catastrophic engine failure always makes me curious
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mossberg:

I used to really enjoy sending one of the new guys under a dashboard to fart around with airbag wiring while I slid an optikleen bottle with a tire vale under the car, clipped to an air hose. Never failed to produce soiled shorts.
View Quote
you sir

are evil
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

No turbo.
I was told the engine in the 2011 optima and sorentos were having issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#30]

I was told the engine in the 2011 optima and sorentos were having issues.
View Quote
oh, i have seen this, a while ago we had a sorento with a 2.4, with snapped in half rods, engineer came to see it and everything dont know what happened that year but there were a few odd ball things.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#31]
time for sleep
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 2011 Soul ! with 72k miles and there's an annoying vibration somewhere when driving. I think the passenger side but sometimes sounds like it's coming from the center speaker. Only really notice it when I'm playing music through Bluetooth, not so much when listening to fm radio. If I park the car and play music it won't do it so I don't think it's 100% audio related.

It's not the passenger side door trim/shield thing. I replaced those push tabs with bolts and stuck some adhesive rubber under the plastic. Where else should I look?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dawg69:
Are there any model years of the Sedona to avoid due to reliability issues?
View Quote
This is my question. I just was van shopping and was told to avoid them due to a airbag recall on the 2016 model. Is this true?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Any reason not to buy a new Optima LX Turbo, with the 1.6 and the DCT?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#35]
Aren't they pieced together with chewing gum and balsa wood?

ETA: I'm mostly basing the above off of what the prevailing opinion seems to be.

I drive a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that is still running fine. I just have some engine leaks I need to take care of. It only has about 130,000 on it. I've been fairly impressed with how well it has held up considering how cheap they are.

I really have been wanting to eventually replace my Hyundai Elantra with a used Hyundai Santa Fe. But some people recommended I get the Sorento. You have to consider, I really don't make a lot of money and have to let other people take the depreciation hit for me. 

Are older Kia Sorentos as good as older Hyundai Santa Fe?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife just bought a new 2017 sorento.
We are giving her old 2011 sorento to our daughter.

The 2011 has 198,000 miles on it.
4 cyl fwd
Serivcing has been done by KIA.

I asked the service manager how many more miles we could expect to have our daughter get out of it.
His reply was if we keep up with the servicing that we should see another 150,000- 200,000 miles

Is this correct ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]
No question, just a comment. You are literally the only Kia mechanic I have ever met who doesn't think/act like he had his soul crushed in to black powder and snorted my satan him self. Ok, one question, why is that?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:40:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoctorCAD] [#38]
Originally Posted By mangyrat:

Get a Subaru.
View Quote
No thanks, I'm straight...Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By para_frame:
No question, just a comment. You are literally the only Kia mechanic I have ever met who doesn't think/act like he had his soul crushed in to black powder and snorted my satan him self. Ok, one question, why is that?
View Quote
KDM, for life.

Plus they are neat
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#40]
Originally Posted By Gixxersixxer:
I have a 2011 Soul ! with 72k miles and there's an annoying vibration somewhere when driving. I think the passenger side but sometimes sounds like it's coming from the center speaker. Only really notice it when I'm playing music through Bluetooth, not so much when listening to fm radio. If I park the car and play music it won't do it so I don't think it's 100% audio related.

It's not the passenger side door trim/shield thing. I replaced those push tabs with bolts and stuck some adhesive rubber under the plastic. Where else should I look?
View Quote
There's a rubber grommets that surrounds a wiring harness that is connected to the firewall behind the glove box its way deep in there and it's kind of hard to see but sometimes those like to pop them self out and let a lot of it outside noise into the interior rather annoying
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#41]
Originally Posted By GreatDane:
Any reason not to buy a new Optima LX Turbo, with the 1.6 and the DCT?
View Quote
Don't see many of them around, dont have the smoothest Transmission in the world that it is very interesting overall,  go for it if you want.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
Aren't they pieced together with chewing gum and balsa wood?

ETA: I'm mostly basing the above off of what the prevailing opinion seems to be.

I drive a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that is still running fine. I just have some engine leaks I need to take care of. It only has about 130,000 on it. I've been fairly impressed with how well it has held up considering how cheap they are.

I really have been wanting to eventually replace my Hyundai Elantra with a used Hyundai Santa Fe. But some people recommended I get the Sorento. You have to consider, I really don't make a lot of money and have to let other people take the depreciation hit for me. 

Are older Kia Sorentos as good as older Hyundai Santa Fe?
View Quote
About the same yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 9milebank:
My wife just bought a new 2017 sorento.
We are giving her old 2011 sorento to our daughter.

The 2011 has 198,000 miles on it.
4 cyl fwd
Serivcing has been done by KIA.

I asked the service manager how many more miles we could expect to have our daughter get out of it.
His reply was if we keep up with the servicing that we should see another 150,000- 200,000 miles

Is this correct ?
View Quote
If you do everything your supposed to yes. Rust might get to it if your state uses salt though
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PapaFoxtrot:
The 3.8 Lambda circa 2007/8 was a potentially very good engine, but crippled by totally defective timing chain tensioners.

Has KIA learned their lesson, and brought enough Japanese designers over on the boat, or hired German engineers, to unfuck themselves? (Never mind those KIA engines that had crank bolts fail and the engines were wrecked.)

Can they make an engine today that is not a grenade and a complete liability?
View Quote
Girl I know has a 2013 Forte that lost its engine at just under 50K.  Kia did replace it for free, and they gave her a loaner to use while it was being replaced - a Hyundai.  They had her car for over two months, to replace the engine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ceetee:

Girl I know has a 2013 Forte that lost its engine at just under 50K.  Kia did replace it for free, and they gave her a loaner to use while it was being replaced - a Hyundai.  They had her car for over two months, to replace the engine.
View Quote
Geting new engines can take a while sometimes, sometimes they are near by. Sometimes, korea...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#46]
10 Soul ! owner here, the right windshield trim has flown off twice now, how much are replacement trim pieces? I paid $70 for the last one on ebay and it lasted a week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#47]
2 things:
'11 Sorento SX AWD, 92k miles
1. The dealer is always telling me I need the trans flushed but the manual specifically states its a closed system and no maintenance is required.  I generally assume the techs are just trying to get my money so I ignore them and do as much maint as I can myself.  Do I really need to do it?

2.  My Sirius radio is constantly cutting out to 'Acquiring Signal'.  I've tried troubleshooting in steps - replaced the rear antenna, no bueno; bypassed the internal wiring with a completely different (working) antenna, no bueno; I'm down to the head unit but I'm unwilling to pay Kia $100 to tell me its the head unit (which I feel like I've already diagnosed for them) and then pay $xxxx for a new one.  I've considered pulling it out and replacing it with something else.  But what's causing the Acquiring Signal issue?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm interested in a 2010-16 Optima - Sonata with the 2.0 or 2.0 turbo engine.

What should I look out for or know abut this generation & engines.

My 2004 Sonata 2.4 has 189k and need to start thinking about the future.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#49]

my old edc

http://i.imgur.com/MAjGyF8.jpg
View Quote
You need a redundant knife, flashlight, and cell phone.  Otherwise, I approve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#50]
get a sedona, you can fit plenty...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
Is there enough room in the trunk for more than one dead hooker?
get a sedona, you can fit plenty...
Will folding be necessary? Big pain in the ass to get them out if you have to drive them around for a few hours.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top