Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2001 2:53:50 PM EDT
What is the longest amount of time that your AR-15or clone has functioned reliably without cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Time is not a valid measurement. If you have an AR put away dirty in the safe for 25 years then take it out and fire it, you have an AR that has worked for 25 years without a cleaning.

There was a moderator on the old board that had, IIRC, over 1,400 rounds through one of his without cleaning. Details and name escape me. I'm sure someone will chime in with the details (especially if I'm wrong).[:)]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had over 800 rounds through one of my Bushmasters in a day of shooting.  It never did hang up during that day.  I cleaned it that night since I was shooting in a match the next day, I put another 200 rounds through it the next day.  I was playing with the idea of not cleaning it after the day at the range to see how it would do in the match the next day.

Of all the AR15s in the match the next day and all the hundreds of rounds fired I only saw two jams the whole day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been on combined arms live fire ranges for days doing continuous ops without the opportunity to clean my weapon. I have put thousands of rounds in a few days time with not so much as being able to wipe down the bolt because iteration after interation happened back to back.

My M4 has always functioned flawlessly for me in every one of these circumstances. Oiled you can keep her, but in some situations cleaning in a crutch.

All the World's Finest!
http://www.Lightfighter.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top