Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2017 2:24:26 PM EDT
I'm trying to get son in but it seems to require an act of congress.
Any experience from Arfers on making this happen?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They won't take your money?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The state throws so many kids at them that don't have parents that they are always full. But it's the best damn place for autistic children to learn and live.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The state throws so many kids at them that don't have parents that they are always full. But it's the best damn place for autistic children to learn and live.
View Quote
CPS is using them? As a residential setting or an educational setting? Or both?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe I read that wrong, you want to put your son in a home because he is autistic?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Koalas aren't really bears ya know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
1) Find the person that can say yes.
2) Bribe them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Repeat after me OP:

"No habla."
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CPS is using them? As a residential setting or an educational setting? Or both?
View Quote

Yes to both.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
My son has some minor stuff and when we switched insurance last year we went through hell just trying to find a psychiatrist who would see him and keep his medication going. I finally had to go to an out of network doctor and my insurance company agreed to cover us 90%. But literally when I called doctors on our lists (2 seperate insurance policies - one through a local city and one through Baylor Hospital) they all wanted cash up front at $300+/hour. I wish I could offer you some helpful advice, but it all sucks right now. You have my sympathy.

Our Children's House through Baylor used to treat a lot of kids for various stuff, but Baylor sold that off to Children's Hospital. We were getting OT there, but we ended up bailing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
A bit of caveat emptor. Texas and other states place autistic children in ATC. As do school districts. Sometimes this is due to abuse, of many types. Autistic children are a target population for abuse. In ATC this can cause difficulties. Their school is excellent, but combining educable autistic children without behavioral problems with their main bread and butter which do have behavioral difficulties, can lead to less than what you would desire. Nonetheless, they are about the best and only way to go. DISD's autism program - no. The Achievement Center in Garland is a jewel. They provide after school day care.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe I read that wrong, you want to put your son in a home because he is autistic?
View Quote

You did not read this wrong. I know to most people this seems like shit head parenting, which is why this was hard to post. But my son is not the calm quiet autistic that solves puzzles and breaks CIA codes. He the break windows out of school bus because the light was read for too long kind of autistic. He requires 24 hr care so he won't escape the house find a pond or pool and drown, 24-7.
Or that one time when he was 12 and it took police officers to get him out off a school bus and held down so that an EMT could tranq him and trans port him to hospital. Those cops walked away with bruises and dumbfounded expressions. Why, because his DVD player stoped working.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Koalas aren't really bears ya know.
View Quote

Nor do the need to be when the have a rifle and explosives.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My son has some minor stuff and when we switched insurance last year we went through hell just trying to find a psychiatrist who would see him and keep his medication going. I finally had to go to an out of network doctor and my insurance company agreed to cover us 90%. But literally when I called doctors on our lists (2 seperate insurance policies - one through a local city and one through Baylor Hospital) they all wanted cash up front at $300+/hour. I wish I could offer you some helpful advice, but it all sucks right now. You have my sympathy.

Our Children's House through Baylor used to treat a lot of kids for various stuff, but Baylor sold that off to Children's Hospital. We were getting OT there, but we ended up bailing.
View Quote

Metrocare services, through their Behavioral Treatment Services offers child/adolescent psychiatric services for autistic children. Very knowledgeable doc's.
You might try there. They have been doing psych services for 20 years.

BTS
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A bit of caveat emptor. Texas and other states place autistic children in ATC. As do school districts. Sometimes this is due to abuse, of many types. Autistic children are a target population for abuse. In ATC this can cause difficulties. Their school is excellent, but combining educable autistic children without behavioral problems with their main bread and butter which do have behavioral difficulties, can lead to less than what you would desire. Nonetheless, they are about the best and only way to go. DISD's autism program - no. The Achievement Center in Garland is a jewel. They provide after school day care.
View Quote

He's in a group home now but due to a med change he has completely lost his shit. The service provider is very politely telling that they can no longer handle him. Group homes have there plus sides but he requires more then most seem to be able to offer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I just want to say thanks to all of you who understand. This is rough topic to bring up in GD.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You did not read this wrong. I know to most people this seems like shit head parenting, which is why this was hard to post. But my son is not the calm quiet autistic that solves puzzles and breaks CIA codes. He the break windows out of school bus because the light was read for too long kind of autistic. He requires 24 hr care so he won't escape the house find a pond or pool and drown, 24-7.
Or that one time when he was 12 and it took police officers to get him out off a school bus and held down so that an EMT could tranq him and trans port him to hospital. Those cops walked away with bruises and dumbfounded expressions. Why, because his DVD player stoped working.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand - when I was in the that profession I usually did not see children in homes that had glass windows - instead they had to have plastic. The parents typically had to padlock their bedroom at night. Please try BTS, they do have a long history of success with this profile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just want to say thanks to all of you who understand. This is rough topic to bring up in GD.
View Quote
I can't imagine what you must be going through. I wish I could help, but this is waaaaaay above my pay grade. 

I'm really just tagging this so that I can follow along. I hope you get some good info soon. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are some levels of autism that parents cannot handle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#19]
God bless you and your Family OP.  I hope you are able to find the help that your family needs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Sometimes, severely behavioral autistic children simply cannot handle intense interpersonal relationships. Like Mom or Dad. Parents blame themselves for that phenomenon. Certainly, the school districts do. We used to call it mom-bashing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I want to get him in there. Major behavioral problems is a norm for us. State hospital in Wichita Falls twice multiple psych ward stays at cooks and countless ER visits. The latest group home put up Wayne's coating throughout the house, as I suggest, but this was not strong enough and he just kicks right through it when he gets mad, which is every couple days. Next time I'll recommend 1/2 inch plywood.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have any advice to offer in regards to treatment centers in Texas, but I have worked in the behavior health field for years.  Don't feel bad you are making some hard choices and are doing the best you can.  Unless someone has seen the behavior you are talking about, they really can't understand.
Unfortunately too many parents need this type of help and there just aren't enough spaces.  Hopefully a space opens up soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Metrocare services, through their Behavioral Treatment Services offers child/adolescent psychiatric services for autistic children. Very knowledgeable doc's.

BTS
View Quote

Reading their site now. Are they a live in facility?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a 12 year old girl, the state of Texas had to place her in a group home by herself. She destroyed the house. They had to buy another. She weighed maybe 65 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#25]
BTS does a crazy amount of staff training it seems. Holy cow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Good luck brother on one of the most difficult journeys a parent could have to go through.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTS

No, they refuse to bite that bullet. They do have ( I believe ) a short term facility for behavioral/med stabilization.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a 12 year old girl, the state of Texas had to place her in a group home by herself. She destroyed the house. They had to buy another. She weighed maybe 65 pounds.
View Quote

I fear for the future. I'm not a big guy 5'10" 170. But my brothers and cousins are all over 6' and very athletic. He takes after them and at 14 is almost my height.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, they refuse to bite that bullet. They do have ( I believe ) a short term facility for behavioral/med stabilization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTS

Probably because the see what ATC has going on. That place can't grow fast enough.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagging for follow up
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish you the best of luck brother. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Metrocare's Behavioral Treatment Center - link
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Saying a prayer for you guys and your son. As with most of us, we have friends who are dealing with autism, but no one locally on the scale you're having to deal with. Hast to be tough. God bless.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you again for everyone's prayers and kind words. You'd be amazed at how normal ER visits can get. I got a really good suture lesson at cooks. The boy busted open his forehead. We had to wrap him up in a sheet to pin his arms at his side. I held his shoulders down with my forearms while holding his head still with both hands. A nurse layed across his knees. The doc showed me how to stitch fatty tissue and skin. He explained while worked figuring it may come in handy one day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Metrocare's Behavioral Treatment Center - link
View Quote

He's 15 for another year yet but I'll be reading up on them tonight. Thanks brother.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I do want to say - I have seen children with this profile get better. Please do not give up hope. While things may have changed, my experience in the past has been that ATC does not provide services for this profile. Way beyond their capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He's 15 for another year yet but I'll be reading up on them tonight. Thanks brother.
View Quote

My post doesn't make sense but I just realized my confusion. I was reading about them though a different link that texashomeserver posted. But I didn't realize they have deferent age bracket pages.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Just want to say good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

sometimes it is for the best.  Like people who swear they will never put 75yo Mom or Dad in a nursing home, them Dad gets severe dementia and beats the shit out of 75yo Mom and 55yo sonny regularly.  If you havent been in those shoes, it is difficult to understand what OP is going thru.

OP, best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]
hope your kid can get some help man
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I do want to say - I have seen children with this profile get better. Please do not give up hope. While things may have changed, my experience in the past has been that ATC does not provide services for this profile. Way beyond their capabilities.
View Quote

A few more years and the puberty shit will be done and hopefully that will help. No hope lost. My wife calls me a sociopath cause she figure out how I keep moving forward when shits going crazy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Took me a couple minutes of processing to realize the magnitude of what you said. How on earth did you get your daughter her own group home?!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not local to your AO but one of my nephews who lives near me is similar.  He's going to be 16 in April and there's a laundry list of issues.  The past two years, since he's entered high school, has wiped any and all improvements of his behavior off the map.  Some may remember my story in 2008 when this kid at the age of 8 "borrowed" stole, whatever my truck and drove it into my car.  It was during one of his meltdowns.  With a lot of help and figuring out meds he improved so much.

Then high school came and it was like starting all over again...except he's 6'3" now and about 300 lbs.  He's not "strong" per-say but he's always had strength and the bigger issue now is that he is a full sized adult with the social mindset of a ten year old (if that).  if he's fine, you can talk to this kid all day but if he melts down...

Never thought I'd see him in handcuffs but that's already happened.  He never wants to harm anyone else only himself.  Been in and out of the local psych ward twice in the last eight months but as you mention the good schools/groups are full of kids no one wants to deal with and is paid for by the government.  He isn't technically my problem but I live so close to him and well I'm like a surrogate father.  The school is pushing him through just cranking out another one and while he is smart he has no interest in applying himself.  What he is very good at is computer hacking/stealing shit via the web which is why I have to be wary with any passwords even the Wi-Fi because if he can steal his computer off his mom (she keeps it locked in the trunk of her car most of the time) he will get into all kinds of shit if he has Internet access.  In fact their entire house is more or less baby proofed as if an infant lived there because they don't trust him and even his mother is scared to be alone with him (they are divorced and the father lives in Texas).  Father wants nothing to do with him and the issues part of the reason he ran away a long time ago.  

All I can tell you is to hang in there and enjoy the good times as few as they might be.  Keep fighting for him because most people don't want anything to do with helping.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Took me a couple minutes of processing to realize the magnitude of what you said. How on earth did you get your daughter her own group home?!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sorry, I simply misspoke, my patient was 12. Not my daughter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No apology needed. I would've phrased it the same way. We're more accustomed to talking to people that know us then to those that don't.

Any idea how the parents got her, her own group home or the name of the facility. You can PM me if you don't want to blast that out everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious why you didn't put it in Team.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My heart goes out to you.  We're very close friends with our neighbors, lived next to the 10 years now.  Their son sounds much like yours - I've been enlisted in helping find him when he escapes (often naked in sub-zero temps, and we find him on the railroad tracks), he completely destroys walls and furniture regularly, I once saw him climb onto the house and almost grab a live power line, etc etc, the list goes on and on and on.  Kid is 18 now, a beast (I mean he is very big and hard to control)...and the dad just died from leukemia.  The mom is trying to make it work, but frankly, I don't see how it can.  She simply doesn't have the resources to have him cared for somewhere.  What's a family to do in that situation?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry OP.  Cannot imagine man.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No apology needed. I would've phrased it the same way. We're more accustomed to talking to people that know us then to those that don't.

Any idea how the parents got her, her own group home or the name of the facility. You can PM me if you don't want to blast that out everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to PM. But, I have no idea if the mechanisms are still in place. Heidi was 10 when I first saw her. I took her from my office directly to Parkland psych ER. They kicked us out, because she was dual diagnosis. A few days later I took her back, on a white warrant. They took her and then transferred her to the children's inpatient unit ( now gone ) run by DCMHMR. She was violent and psychotic. After a two week stay, with augmented staffing to provide 24 hour coverage, they transferred her ( by a judge's order - and that was significant ) to Terrell State Hospital. Terrell freaked out, and had their judge order TXMHMR to come get her. During this time, I had CPS file and dispose of her mothers parental rights. TXMHMR sent her to Fort Worth State School. They freaked out as they had no place for her, and she was tearing them to pieces. They went back to the Terrell judge, and had the judge order TXMHMR to provide adequate treatment. She got her own group home. With children of this profile, I often had to use the courts,CPS, and Advocacy Inc. to achieve a resolution. Texas does not like to admit they exist, and plans poorly for their treatment. Very poorly. I did have some families move to Missouri because they offer better treatment. Pro tip - a judge's order can make things happen very quickly. CPS hates to get involved, because they hate to write long term care contracts. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is why I want to get him in there. Major behavioral problems is a norm for us. State hospital in Wichita Falls twice multiple psych ward stays at cooks and countless ER visits. The latest group home put up Wayne's coating throughout the house, as I suggest, but this was not strong enough and he just kicks right through it when he gets mad, which is every couple days. Next time I'll recommend 1/2 inch plywood.
View Quote

Just out of vulgar curiosity, how big is this kid?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top