Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2017 7:38:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Was that one ever on the show? 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I know we had a few members here from the show. My condolences to losing your bothers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was that one ever on the show? 
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Misleading subject line is misleading.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I know plenty of folks here love the show and think those guys are saints, but commercial captains take way too many risks trying to make $ and skip basic maintenance for no real reason other than to hit the bar instead of repair safety shit.

I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Drowning has to be terrible.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn't imagine dying like that...

I hope it was quick and painless.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I seem to remember the article I read this AM stated the boat was only 2 miles off St George island?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I seem to remember the article I read this AM stated the boat was only 2 miles off St George island?
View Quote

2 miles is to the moon when the sea turns against you......
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The water temp probably does you  in in pretty quick if you don't have a suit on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
 falling into a dark, cold ocean is right up there with the scariest shit I can think of.  RIP to the crew.

I remember when I was younger, maybe 18-19 I was on a cruise ship and got up to take a leak in the night and looked out on our little balcony and my brother was standing on the railing peeing into the ocean.  I slowly snuck up on him so i didnt scare him and then in one motion pulled him backwards as hard as I could.  We were on like the 6-7th floor of the ship.  He had slept walk out onto the deck and had no recollection of it the next day.  Still haunts me
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.  Very scary stuff.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very sad +1 hereto
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Rip
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It was all over my Facebook the other day. Very sad indeed :-(
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
http://gcaptain.com/search-suspended-for-six-missing-crew-of-fv-destination-in-bering-sea/
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
RIP sailors.

Damned tough job.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

How true. May they RIP.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

So a Bearing Sea crab boat that has absolutely nothing to do with Deadliest Catch, sunk?  Do I have that right?

RIP to all
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The water temp probably does you  in in pretty quick if you don't have a suit on.
View Quote

40 degrees in the summer
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://gcaptain.com/search-suspended-for-six-missing-crew-of-fv-destination-in-bering-sea/
View Quote

The Morgenthau (in that video) was my last ship I was on in Hawaii. We did an ALPAT to Kodiak and Dutch in November/December of 2013, and I spent the whole damn time trying to heat a ship that was configured for both hot/cold but had only been operated near the equator for decades. It sounds like they've been going North consistently since I left. We had a lot of stupid little problems, like the steam heater in the vents for the helo hangar were ruptured, so we couldn't keep it warm and the batteries for the helo froze and died.

It's a whole 'nother type of inhospitable up there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The germans or the japs did experiments during the second world war. Tossed people into cold water and started a clock to see how long before they were dead. Our military got it's hands on the results after the war. eta I think in really cold weather it takes a long time for the brain to die. That's why you hear stories of people who go under the ice for like 15 minutes and sometimes they "save" them....brain damaged, but "alive".
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Rest in peace  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really, they are all brothers up there. They do dangerous but good work.

prayers sent. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Morgenthau (in that video) was my last ship I was on in Hawaii. We did an ALPAT to Kodiak and Dutch in November/December of 2013, and I spent the whole damn time trying to heat a ship that was configured for both hot/cold but had only been operated near the equator for decades. It sounds like they've been going North consistently since I left. We had a lot of stupid little problems, like the steam heater in the vents for the helo hangar were ruptured, so we couldn't keep it warm and the batteries for the helo froze and died.

It's a whole 'nother type of inhospitable up there.
View Quote

I did my shipyard internship for KP at Detyens Shipyard. The USCGC Dallas (same class as the Morganthau) was there at the time, and I was able to work with the ship supervisor on that vessel for a while. It was showing its age a bit.

And yeah, WX there is something else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#28]
What a horrible and shitty way to go.  I hope they did not suffer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The germans or the japs did experiments during the second world war. Tossed people into cold water and started a clock to see how long before they were dead. Our military got it's hands on the results after the war. eta I think in really cold weather it takes a long time for the brain to die. That's why you hear stories of people who go under the ice for like 15 minutes and sometimes they "save" them....brain damaged, but "alive".
View Quote

Japs may have done some research also (being a maritime nation) but  do believe the German Dr Mengala (spelling?) developed the hypothermia charts. Yes he more or less just tossed folks into cold water and watched what happened.Twisted guy
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've brought back kids trapped under ice in streams for 4-6hrs I believe.  Without much damage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called the mammalian cold water reflex
And on rare occasions people have survived an hour under without brain damage....50*is the temp it kicks in at cold water covering your face.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess the answer is obviously not, but don't these ships have tracking beacons?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Brave, hard working men, this really sucks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess the answer is obviously not, but don't these ships have tracking beacons?
View Quote

Many vessels have AIS (as a fishing vessel they should have a Class B AIS) and they will have an EPIRB (electronic position indicating radio beacon) as well. It's designed to break free in the event of the vessel sinking. The gcaptain link said that the USCG was alerted when they started receiving the info from the EPIRB.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would imagine no one will last long in those waters, you'll freeze.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, yeah, of course, but to find the sunken ship.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, both. Commercial ships are required to carry EPIRBS but by the time a signal is sent, either by being manually activated or by floating free in the water, a search is mobilized, debris located... often the survival time in that temperature is long passed. That's assuming the batteries on the EPIRB are up to date, the hydrostatic release works, and it doesn't get tangled up in the mast of the ship and taken underwater where it can't send a signal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Thought IFQ's stopped derby fishing and forcing crew to fish bad weather?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Spent 6.5 years USCG Helicopter air rescue in AK, Sitka first then Kodiak. The Bermuda Triangle has nothing on that place when it comes to missing boats & planes. I remember an odd one, the F/V Red Barron (as I recall the name) a crab boat out of Cold Bay (+/-)  that had a crew of typical college kids but a seasoned Captain, this was about '84 or so. Rough weather near Kodiak, taking on water and the Captain had the crew abandon ship. The search was called off after about a week. A week or so after that the empty boat floated up Kodiak harbor. Within a week bodies started floating in. If they didn't get off the boat, they would have lived. Most we never found.
View Quote

Sounds a lot like what happened to the St. Patrick in 80-81, eta..St. Patrick
Then there was the Altair and the Americus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]
RIP
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
RIP skipper & crew
From what I read the possibiliity exisits that it took on freezing spray on the gear laden deck and rolled, all speculation but very possible, as there was no MAYDAY or other warning (just the EPIRB signal).
Dangerous job in unforgiving conditions.
eta: spelling
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I grew up in a commercial fishing family, they are a very tight group! 
RIP Brothers...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes, both. Commercial ships are required to carry EPIRBS but by the time a signal is sent, either by being manually activated or by floating free in the water, a search is mobilized, debris located... often the survival time in that temperature is long passed. That's assuming the batteries on the EPIRB are up to date, the hydrostatic release works, and it doesn't get tangled up in the mast of the ship and taken underwater where it can't send a signal.
View Quote

I visited St. Paul island this summer, and my friend and I rolled up our pant legs and had our guide take a picture of us standing in the surf.  It was July, and I could barely stand the cold for the time it took to snap a picture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I am terrified of the ocean, it's a powerful beast, more dangerous than the animals that live in it.

Prayers out to the families of the crew members.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really depends on how fast they cool.

I work in heart surgery and in some Special instances we cool the patient to 18* F and turn off the heart and lung machine for 30-45 minutes and the patients have little to no neurological issues post surgery.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#46]
My condolences. I've lost family, and friends to similar circumstances. Makes you appreciate the good seasons, where everyone makes it back okay.

Quoted:
View Quote

Usually they're more for the families, because they help give some closure. The rescue personnel have to risk their own lives, so help is often late, if it ever arrives.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Terrible...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#48]
I was watching NHK-Japan, they said that fishing is a dangerous profession, people regularly get killed. I imagine it is the same in the US.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I knew a lady who had a sister in the PNW. Quit marrying fishermen after number 5.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What a horrible and shitty way to go.  I hope they did not suffer.
View Quote

I hope they did not suffer either. Unfortunately that is unlikely
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top