Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/14/2017 2:15:56 PM EDT
So, I discovered two .22LR rounds in the bottom lining of a carryon bag the other day.  I know how they got there, a full 550 box of Federal fell off a closet shelf and spilled all over it last summer, and I tried really hard to take it completely apart, but they were stuck in the retractable handle mechanism's tubes.  This wasn't a range bag, or ever had guns in it, it was just in the wrong place for that closet spill, and no amount of shaking was going to pop those rounds out.

I have flown on 9 U.S. flights, and 4 international ones with them.  So well over 15 trips through the xRay machine in if you count the ones in foreign customs.

Looking back, this isn't the first time I've flown with something against the rules accidentally.  The worst one was a loaded pistol magazine into the EU, which once found, got introduced to the sewage system.

I can't be the only guy that's accidentally carried some ammo, a knife, etc onto a plane.  Poll incoming.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive carried my knife a few times
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I got on a flight from DFW to Vegas with a drunk girl 15 years younger than me.  4 days later I couldn't walk and needed large quantities of salve.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I carried a rifle scope with me as a carry on. They gave me a hassle about gun parts so I told them it was a spotting scope, just like binoculars and they let me

I know... CSB

But since I use my backpacks for range stuff sometimes it is a fear of mine leaving a bullet in one and getting stopped by those super detective TSA guys and getting the third degree
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
more importantly...would I ADMIT to it in a public internet forum if I ever did?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
In Afghanistan I used my "run bag" to put rounds I cleared out of the Mini Gun feeder-delinker in when we landed and I cleared the weapon every time. When I got a good amount of loose rounds in it I would dump them in the Arms room. I also used this bag as my carry on for breaks. One trrip home I got to Dubai and I guess there was one or two loose rounds left in the damn thing. Earned me a few hours in the little room being sweated by UAE Border cops.

I was much more careful after that.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've carried a gun on an airplane before.  Typically with my edc knife and a spare mag. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
more importantly...would I ADMIT to it in a public internet forum if I ever did?
View Quote

Statute of limitations, how does it work?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Treetop tried taking fire on a plane  

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Not flown but when I was a kid I visited the White House to see Clinton and had a pocket knife.

The SS guy running the metal detector was not concerned about it because I tried to give it to him and said that I forgot I had it. He just looked at it then at me and told me to put it back in my pocket.

I was maybe 14 or 15.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The one time I flew I had Winchester 30-30 and a locked and cocked 1911, it was on my former employer's plane.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I few years ago I had to fly to Iwakuni.  Left from the Detroit airport to L.A.  No problems.  Made it to Tokyo and was going through screening and they found my little tackle box I used for ribbons and stuff.  Well inside that little box was a pocket knife and a razor blade.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to have a small multitool/knife that attached to your key ring and looked kind of like a key.   I went on a lot of flights w/ that thing. 

It was one of these
Swiss Tool @ Brownells
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Going through security in Las Vegas I see my carry on bag pulled aside. They show me the x-ray and what looks like a knife. I agreed but said I didn't buy a knife in Vegas. Turns out Harrisburg security missed the knife that was in the bottom of my bag. I had no idea it was there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I carried my M9 on a United Airlines flight once.

Should have had something in .45
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I found an Ornate Box Turtle (aka Western Box Turtle) in Texas while visiting my dad, and smuggled her back to Illinois in my carry-on bag.

She got x-rayed but they didn't figure out what they were looking at.

It's a no-no, but they would have just confiscated her and then let me go.

Twenty-three years later and she's still crawling around the house.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I had an MRE bottle of Tabasco sauce in my carry on for about 3 or 4 months before it was spotted. I had forgotten about it.  I probably had 12 flights with it before getting spotted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Commercial? I have forgotten my edc knife in my pocket 3 times when flying, I made it on board and to the destination all 3 times with no issues. Put it in the checked bag on the return trip.
Private? I can pack whatever I want in my bag when flying on the company jet, no security
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to have a small multitool/knife that attached to your key ring and looked kind of like a key.   I went on a lot of flights w/ that thing. 

It was one of these
Swiss Tool @ Brownells
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz5v17uo2g00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fuserdocs%2Fproducts%2Fp_100016712_2.jpg
View Quote

I had the EXACT same thing, and I also got that taken away after about 20? flights with it.  I have a ton of keys, and pretty much forgot I had it after the first day or two, since it was stiff as hell and hard to use (and 99% of the time I've had a real knife around when I could of used it).   As I recall Denver is where I finally lost that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Last year, I went through TSA/security in Seattle, Toronto, Gatwick and Zurich with two live rounds of 22LR in a transparent  ziplock bag of peanuts (in the shell type) in my hand or carry on. I don't know which is weirder: getting through all those inspections and x rays or that the rounds came from a sealed bag from the store.Absolutely zero chance that I was the source. Ziplock came directly from package as well.
I  discovered them while repacking in Lucerne, Switzerland, for my return to the  UK.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I had two flechettes from a 2.75mm folding fin aerial rocket in my carry on bag coming back from Iraq. I had completely forgotten that I had put them in there, along with my deployment coin. When the Navy customs guy shook out my bag, they fell out. We looked at the flechettes, looked at each other, and I said "well, what now?" He picked one up, looked at it, said "well, it's not a projectile...just put it in your pocket!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, I discovered two .22LR rounds in the bottom lining of a carryon bag the other day.  I know how they got there, a full 550 box of Federal fell off a closet shelf and spilled all over it last summer, and I tried really hard to take it completely apart, but they were stuck in the retractable handle mechanism's tubes.  This wasn't a range bag, or ever had guns in it, it was just in the wrong place for that closet spill, and no amount of shaking was going to pop those rounds out.

I have flown on 9 U.S. flights, and 4 international ones with them.  So well over 15 trips through the xRay machine in if you count the ones in foreign customs.

Looking back, this isn't the first time I've flown with something against the rules accidentally.  The worst one was a loaded pistol magazine into the EU, which once found, got introduced to the sewage system.

I can't be the only guy that's accidentally carried some ammo, a knife, etc onto a plane.  Poll incoming.
View Quote
No but I had TSA pull me aside and make me wait for "an expert" because my aviation headset and E6B looked like "layered explosives and wiring" to them.... 15 minutes later after multiple "swabs" and after I pried their "analysis"  from him, I said "we can wait here all day, or I can show you what it is". Pulled those two items out an they re ran my bag...

FTSA
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Got through DFW with a .45 bullet once, but they caught it in Baltimore on the way back. Took the TSA lady like 5 full minutes trying to find where it was actually was and get it out
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Back in the late 80s, I may or may not have gotten on a plane to Paris, France, with a zip-loc bag of pot brownies. I even made it to the connecting flight in Charlestown, SC, before noticing them in my backpack. I also may or may not have eaten them right before the Paris-bound flight took off.

It may or may not have been a mellow flight, too..
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Digging my laptop out of my carryon bag in-flight and looking for a set of headphones, I found a SOG folder. Oops.

Surprised me too, because my laptop bag frequently gets pulled for extra screening (I carry a lot of crap in there). 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've gotten thru accidentally with a knife and with a cigar cutter in my carry on a couple times.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't actually get on a plane but back when you could go through security to meet someone at a gate. When I was about 12  went with a buddy and his dad to meet someone at MSP. As we got in line for the metal detector I suddenly went into tunnel vision panic. I'd recently spotted a switchblade my grandma was throwing out after finding it in an uncles drawer. I quietly pocketed it and sometimes carried it as it was such an exotic thing. Had it in my pocket that day. Said prayers to myself ...and passed right on through without setting anything off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#27]
At this point I'm pretty sure TSA closes their eyes and ears when my wife goes through.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, never have.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
The TSA must truly suck if ~75% of people have flown with something naughty without getting caught, and another 15% haven't flown post 9/11. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I've passed clean through security with a (forgotten) pocketknife clipped to my pocket. 3x.

Twice, I have gone through security with a regular sized screwdriver in my laptop bag. Never caught.

Every single case was out of PHL, and within the last 2 years. None of them were purposeful on my part, I simply forgot they were there.

Kind of scary, if you think about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to travel with my gun, but my tardiness to the airport caused me to leave the gun in my trunk.

I didn't want to risk the flight if there was a hassle.

I neglected to take a spare loaded mag from my checked bag.

I donated the ammo to a buddy at my destination.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Have a folding wallet knife that I have taken on several flights, cruises and other areas that use metal detectors and xray machines. Has a 3 inch blade
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Used to walk through with my lighter all the time. Some asshole tried to make a match bomb and lit his shoe on fire. So they banned lighters but NOT matches. Fuck them where they breath
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Before 9/11, I used to throw a fully-loaded Glock in my duffel bag and not think twice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Post 9/11 carried a Boker ceramic knife all the way through airport security from the US to Russia and back.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I've flown with a pocket knife a few times and gotten through.  I left a loaded 1911 mag in my pack once and they found that. There was very little drama but they kept the mag and sent me a "you're a naughty boy" letter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#37]
M4 a few times was legal, but tried to shake us down for knives and shaving cream.

Fuck off dude..
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
zippo... was in uniform (Army) the old TSA lady struck it and since it didn't light due to me not refilling it yet she told me she was supposed to confiscate it but would look the other way. I thanked her and went on about my business. This was ATL airport btw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#39]
My hands are trained weapons.

They always get through. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I have lost nothing this year.

The worst was in Philadelphia at security.

ME: What are you looking for?
TSA: Step out of line (walks away with my back pack).

<5 minutes of rummaging>
<return to xray machine>
<5 minutes of rummaging>

ME: I searched that pack before leaving home.  What are you looking for?
TSA: We can't tell you that.
ME: Can you say what it looks like on the x-ray?
TSA: A Pez dispenser filled with batteries.
ME: Shit, I had a .45 magazine in the inner velcro pouch.  Pull the tab next to the zipper.
TSA: Come with us.

Philly PD said "Put it in your checked bag.  Have a nice day."
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a Leatherman in my carry-on bag.

I flew out of Portland to Phoenix, then back from Phoenix to Portland. This was last year, after the results of testing showed how much they miss.

TSA didn't catch it in Portland OR Phoenix. I didn't catch it until I was unpacking at home.

Seriously, how did they miss it at both places? Is it just theater?

I feel safer already.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Not me, I thoroughly search all my bags.  I also keep range bags separate from travel bags for this very reason.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Pair of scissors back in 2002. I was 10 years old. Got them confiscated at security. Oops.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  Right after 9/11 we were flying down to San Antonio to watch one of my sons graduate basic training at Lackland AFB.  I had the audacity to have nail clippers in my pocket.    They were immediately confiscated and earmarked for destruction in a secure facility.  They must have marked me as a terrorist or something as my wife and I got pulled out of line for "random" checks the rest of the trip.  Since then I have turned almost all of my nail clippers over to federal authorities and registered the rest.  Now I drive everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a folding boxcutter go with me to Hawaii twice, New York once and northern California once.

It was in my laptop bag, I am a contractor so it isn't uncommon for me to have tools in there with my computer.
Didn't realize it was there until I retired that bag and found it under one of the pads that protect the computer. It had wedged itself in there pretty good.

Totally unintentional.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep
Cologne in a 3.5 oz bottle

SUCK IT TSA
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I have not, but I know plenty of people who have brought leatherman tools onto planes by accident.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#49]
A knife in my carry-on on my outgoing flight. They caught it on my return flight. I didn't know it was in my pack.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#50]
My Dad flew to NY pretty often in the 80's and 90's for business.  He grabbed one of several briefcases he would alternate.  He lit up the xray machine with a S&W 38spl loaded up with 5 rounds!  Oh shit moment.  They went to the little room for quite a while.  Got a letter and a fine from the FAA I believe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top