Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/29/2017 5:40:19 PM EDT
A Buddy bought the top of the line Panamera. 550 hp and 0 to 60 in about 3.4 seconds. He did a couple of speed runs using the launch control mode where you stand on the brake and floor the gas to build up turbo boost. Oh my God! I can understand how people with super fast cars can wipe out and kill themselves.
This one has four wheel drive and tracked straight but things are happening so fast that if something went wrong I wouldn't have time to react. He took it up to 170 mph before he backed off. I would love to own one myself. It sure would make passing on the freeway fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A Buddy bought the top of the line Panamera. 550 hp and 0 to 60 in about 3.4 seconds. He did a couple of speed runs using the launch control mode where you stand on the brake and floor the gas to build up turbo boost. Oh my God! I can understand how people with super fast cars can wipe out and kill themselves.
This one has four wheel drive and tracked straight but things are happening so fast that if something went wrong I wouldn't have time to react. He took it up to 170 mph before he backed off. I would love to own one myself. It sure would make passing on the freeway fun.
View Quote
And ugly as sin while doing it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Two many doors
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't think it looked bad at all. The only way I could begin to justify spending that kind of money is because of the back seat. I do have Grand-kids.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Too bad it's such an unfortunate looking car... .

(And this is coming from a Porsche owner)
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn't think it looked bad at all. The only way I could begin to justify spending that kind of money is because of the back seat. I do have Grand-kids.
View Quote

911s have back seats that fit slender women and grandchildren... Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
They are awesome cars but one of the ugliest Porsche has produced!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

A "no fat chics" car
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The spoiler deployment on the new Panamera is a thing of beauty, however I can't get comfortable with the fastback 4-door coupe aesthetic.  Second gen much better looking than the first, but that's not saying much.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
You forgot the legless adults.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to post a thread about buying one.  It's between that and an M5. Either will be nice. Either will be expensive to maintain.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You forgot the legless adults.
View Quote

There is actually quite a bit of leg room in the back. It's the head room the suffers.

I was kind of hoping this thread would be more about the speed and handling of this car as opposed to style especially since style is subjective where performance is quantitative.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't most cars sold in the US electronically governed at 155? Also, purchase or lease? I wouldn't waste my money on one of those German shit boxes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]
It has twice as many doors as any good, self-respecting Porsche ought to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
4 door fail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Seems to me that the M6 GC is a better rival for the Panamera.  If you are set on the M5 and are looking to purchase new, then wait because the new one is dropping this year.  

Quoted:
I was going to post a thread about buying one.  It's between that and an M5. Either will be nice. Either will be expensive to maintain.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#17]
It's funny, my wife loves them, I hated them when they first came out. After years of looking at them I finally like them. Don't want one, but like how they look now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aren't most cars sold in the US electronically governed at 155? Also, purchase or lease? I wouldn't waste my money on one of those German shit boxes.
View Quote

To answer the first question, no.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The spoiler deployment on the new Panamera is a thing of beauty, however I can't get comfortable with the fastback 4-door coupe aesthetic.  Second gen much better looking than the first, but that's not saying much.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1F6MiBQv--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nxjhkp1pz841domx6217.gif
View Quote

It's a Decepticon!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beyond.
I have driven one and it is awesome to drive though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I like them. If I didn't  need a car and HD truck it would get a serious look.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the worst looking cars around today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seems to me that the M6 GC is a better rival for the Panamera.  If you are set on the M5 and are looking to purchase new, then wait because the new one is dropping this year.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. The m5 and m6 have been my dream cars for 30 years. I owned an m3 in my early 20s.

Luv me a real full size sport sedan.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's funny, my wife loves them, I hated them when they first came out. After years of looking at them I finally like them. Don't want one, but like how they look now.
View Quote

Same here. BUT! If I wanted a Porsche, I'd get a 911. If I wanted a sedan, I'd get an S63.

The Panamera is neither a sports car, nor sedan. It's an amazing machine, but I'll pass.

TC
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks. The m5 and m6 have been my dream cars for 30 years. I owned an m3 in my early 20s.

View Quote

The older V10's sound GLORIOUS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You there are people with skills at driving fast . It is on the other hand easy to buy a car and not have the skills to drive it .
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree. My wife's M5 sounded amazing. Until the transmission exploded...that experience took a little shine off the apple.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Haters gonna hate. I like the Panamera.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Porsche.  Congrats to your buddy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
There are more attractive Hyundais and Skodas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I know a guy who leasing a Panamera. (Apparently nobody actually buys cars that that, they all lease them. Go figure...)

He said it was fun to drive but the whole car was one giant continuous blind spot to the sides and the rear.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You would get used to the acceleration pretty quickly and it wouldn't seem so uncontrollable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It has twice as many doors as any good, self-respecting Porsche ought to.
View Quote

the non-self-respecting Porsches are the reason you can still buy a new Porsche.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wonder how common and strong this opinion would actually be if Top Gear hadn't relentlessly made the point about how ugly they thought the Panamera was.  

My wife actually like the first gen model better than the new second gen.

Porsche did send us a very nice hard-cover coffee table book about the new Panamera, hoping to sell us one, no doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the worst looking cars around today.

I wonder how common and strong this opinion would actually be if Top Gear hadn't relentlessly made the point about how ugly they thought the Panamera was.  

Porsche did send us a very nice hard-cover coffee table book about the new Panamera, hoping to sell us one, no doubt.

Yes, Top Gear bashed the looks heavily, but when they test drove it were quite positive in the reviews.  

A proper two door Porsche is best, but I sure as shit would take a Panamera over many other four door cars if I needed the room and had the spare $$$
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Despite how much they ranted about its looks they went on about how much fun it was to drive.

Even Clarkson had to admit it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
buddy of mine bought a twin turbo Carrera 2 in 04, we used to make a speed run <edited> of 147 miles for breakfast in Soldotna, we could make it in an hour and 45 minutes, he did it in 55min. Of course the road is much better now with 90% of the corners gone until Kenai lake.

He parked at a store one day and some fucking punks keyed it, made me sick, he had to ship it out of state to get it repainted, over $30 grand
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1F6MiBQv--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nxjhkp1pz841domx6217.gif
View Quote

Funny thing is the way the car looks would be just fine.... if it wasn't a Porsche.
It just looks out of character for the company, I think that is what makes it offputting to many, myself included.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got to drive a 2009? M5 with a V10 once.  Crazy fast!  Crazy expensive to maintain or repair, too.  

But dat V10 howl....
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Funny thing is the way the car looks would be just fine.... if it wasn't a Porsche.
View Quote

Was going to ask if people would like the design if it was another make.

I think that thing is gorgeous, and that it is a beautiful 4-door.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#43]
The Grand Tour had a great segment this week on launch control using a Porsche GT3
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I dunno.  I think it is more of a general issue of a coupe silhouette with four doors.  The A7 still looks weird to me but the CLS/M6 GC make it work IMO.  

It is a very polarizing body shape, but you do have a point that Porsches tend to have a more unified design aesthetic.  

Quoted:

It just looks out of character for the company, I think that is what makes it offputting to many, myself included.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#45]
The transmission in the V10 was brutal at city speeds.  Much more refined on the current generation with the dual-clutch but alas no more V10 NA goodness.

Quoted:

I got to drive a 2009? M5 with a V10 once.  Crazy fast!  Crazy expensive to maintain or repair, too.  

But dat V10 howl....
http://cdn3.teen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cash-me-outside-howbow-dah-gif.gif
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Panamera is an amazing car.  
View Quote

It is, it is amazingly ugly, but I understand why you have to say what you say.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Dropping"??!!??

LoL
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather buy an rs7
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I guess I'm in the minority. I think they look fantastic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top