Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2001 11:47:47 AM EDT
At the last Lakeland Pistol & Rifle club gunshow, the only gunshow worth going to around here, I was pricing Springfield Arms M1As.  The best prices I found were; SS- wood or synthetic stock, $1250.00 and blue steel- synthetic stock only, $1100.00.  All NIB.  Were these good prices?
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Here in SoCal that would be considered a steel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Would that dealer happen to have a website? Email? Phone number? mailing address? Be within driving distance? Be close to a major airport? [:P]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently purchased a NIB Standard M1A with a synthetic stock for $1,011.00.  I think the "Loaded" rifle was another $200.00. The loaded rifles have a heavier, non-chrome-lined barrel and National Match front sight and flash suppressor. The trigger is National Match as well.

My standard M1A has a great trigger. I wonder if it is actually a national match, because for some reason they put a national match front sight on the rifle... I'm not complaining [:)]

I don't like the synthetic stock. It has a course textured finish that is probably supposed to give your grip more traction; however, the course finish rubs your cheek raw from the recoil motion.  Even worse, the course finish chips off easily! Bump your stock against something hard with just a little too much force, and a little chip of the textured fish comes off exposing the gray undercoat. Also, where the removable trigger group contacts the outside of the stock, the textured finish sticks to the metal and comes off.  This isn’t too big of a deal because the metal covers up the gray undercoat once the rifle is put back together.

I would spend the extra $100.00 for the wood stock (so it looks pretty for show and tell), and then buy a nice synthetic stock from http://www.shotgunnews.com/members/fred/pages/Fredspagesindex.html when you want to take your rifle into the field.

Over all, I love the M1A.  It is a great shooter!  It has a whole different feel than the AR15. It feels much more substantial, not only because of the larger cartridge, but because of the solid steel construction of all the parts. I would have a difficult time choosing between it and my AR15.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My M1A "Loaded" Standard was about $1700. This is CA, of course.

mattja
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
New Springfields go for $1100-1400 around where I live, good used prebans show up for around $ 1000 if you hunt around and pester the hp shooters who switch to AR's.The loaded rifles are OK but they still need a little work to make them shoot better, The quasi match sights need tightened up and there 5 minute match trigger job can be cleaned up and then glass bed it and the biggest thing is to match modify the gas cylinder.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
$1100 for a blued synthetic stock M1A is the gun shop (Bill's Buy and Sell on Fremont Street) price here in Las Vegas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top