Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2017 1:20:55 AM EDT
Video Link

Today ISIS, also known as the Islamic State or IS, released a new video called “Ninawa Wilayah – Knights of Diwan”.  The video contained the usual propaganda about how great life is under IS, combat footage and SBVIED attacks.  What was most catching about the new video was the last 6 minutes.  IS has equipped small bombs (most likely a 40mm grenade) to their drones and have demonstrated that this weapon is very accurate.

The bombs appear to cause more wounded than dead.  While the beginning of the video shows a plane, the drone dropping the explosive is a quad-copter.  Video is from January 2017.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, the production values on their videos are phenomenal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever they're dropping doesn't look terribly lethal, but I'd not doubt it's effective as a psychological weapon in that nowhere is safe, it would be very difficult to have to keep an eye out for, and very difficult to shoot down even if one did spot it. As drone tech becomes more developed, I'd expect their payloads and delivery systems to advance in tandem. Given a few more years development, these could be a very viable IED delivery method.

Then again, if we were to face them in any meaningful numbers, I'm sure we could rig up something to jam them up or fry them or something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I notice the Palis aren't doing this in Israel. Might have something to with Iron Dome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow those frags were fucking people up. Some of them were direct hits.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice CGI. I wonder if they used the same video propaganda contracting firm in London that did those series of fake beheadings.

Although I found the drowning cage and burning of the Jordan pilot real.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever they're dropping doesn't look terribly lethal, but I'd not doubt it's effective as a psychological weapon in that nowhere is safe, it would be very difficult to have to keep an eye out for, and very difficult to shoot down even if one did spot it. As drone tech becomes more developed, I'd expect their payloads and delivery systems to advance in tandem. Given a few more years development, these could be a very viable IED delivery method.

Then again, if we were to face them in any meaningful numbers, I'm sure we could rig up something to jam them up or fry them or something.
View Quote

We already have UAV jammers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Did they send in a letter before they built that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Retail units would be easy and cheap to jam.  But I don't know much about RF past that.  Hopefully someone will chime in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If they keep up that kind of behavior, there is a firepit waiting for them for the other side.  They're in for a rude awakening to eternity. And considering ISIS's loss of territory, those guys probably don't have much time left to play with their little remote control planes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The west has taught them well.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bet you they don't have but a couple folks that good at dropping bomblets.
Skill like that isn't developed overnight.
Wack the pilots and the effectiveness of their air campaign goes way down.
Kamikazes coming next.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]
That's pretty cool.  Where can we order one of them?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I'm continually surprised by how well they're done lately. I realize we're watching their version of the 'best' outtakes but there were a lot of drops right on target there.  That first video where they used the grenade drop knowing the vehicles would come on scene and then the car bomb driving up behind them was....interesting.

Hard to see exactly what the payload is but quads dropping grenades like that is probably an effective terror weapon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The west has taught them well.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hard to see exactly what the payload is but quads dropping grenades like that is probably an effective terror weapon.
View Quote

Makes you wonder how long until someone rigs one of those up here in the states and drops it into a football or baseball stadium?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I'm continually surprised by how well they're done lately. I realize we're watching their version of the 'best' outtakes but there were a lot of drops right on target there.  That first video where they used the grenade drop knowing the vehicles would come on scene and then the car bomb driving up behind them was....interesting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not joking at all. They've got some talent and good equipment making those videos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#17]
posted that link on facebook, and facebook considers that a malicious link. 

anybody else register any issues ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are probably cracking down on propaganda videos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Actually, now that I think about it, there may be an even cheaper way.   This is way out of my expertise-  Is it possible to make an inexpensive crude radar system capable of detecting other drones and mount it on drone?  Programming the drone to patrol the group and kamikaze anything else that looks like a drone would be the easy part.  Obviously this technique couldn't be used in all situations, but it wouldn't disrupt friendly communication or other necessary equipment running on RF like a cheap, 3rd world jamming device would.  

No idea how advanced the Iraq military is or if any of this is even feasible, but it was a nice mental exercise.  I never considered that these toys would be used on the battlefield.  Seems obvious now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here.  Try this one  http://streamable.com/y38jo
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing too difficult to counter with the right technology.

These are commercial drones that can be fairly easily hacked, have their control / fpv signals jammed, etc.

The sad part is that those who need it don't have the technology to counter it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually, now that I think about it, there may be an even cheaper way.   This is way out of my expertise-  Is it possible to make an inexpensive crude radar system capable of detecting other drones and mount it on drone?  Programming the drone to patrol the group and kamikaze anything else that looks like a drone would be the easy part.  Obviously this technique couldn't be used in all situations, but it wouldn't disrupt friendly communication or other necessary equipment running on RF like a cheap, 3rd world jamming device would.  

No idea how advanced the Iraq military is or if any of this is even feasible, but it was a nice mental exercise.  I never considered that these toys would be used on the battlefield.  Seems obvious now.
View Quote

Straight forward to jam. They could probably cobble something together - but the intelligence and know how is lacking on their part.

Give anyone with some knowledge and they could have a solid jammer together in a good amount of time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed (and another reason why I say they should be easy to find).

And they aren't too bad at aiming those little things.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice CGI. I wonder if they used the same video propaganda contracting firm in London that did those series of fake beheadings.

Although I found the drowning cage and burning of the Jordan pilot real.
View Quote
Fake as fuck CNN
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#25]
ISIS/ISIL/DA'ESH/OBAMA SOLDIERS or whatever you want to call them, their days are numbered.  I expect very shortly you will see many of them die.  Trump ain't fucking around, destroying ISIS is his top priority.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Rofl. I highly doubt that shit isn't straight CGI. Dropping ordinance from that high up takes technology that those goatfuckers do not have.

The best I imagine them doing is a cellphone bomb strapped to an off the shelf commercial drone kamikazing personnel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
What quad copter has that good of a camera?  Or is that the norm?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Boutique terrorism.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#30]
FAA gonna be pissed to learn somebody flying drones without registration

ISIS is in trouble!! 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Nothing mind blowing, a quad copter or a large RC plane, a few servos, and you're in business.

Seems to be rather small payloads. I wonder if they'll start building 1/3 scale stuff to drop mortar shells.

I also wonder if you can use a rasberry pi as a DIY small diameter bomb. I can't imagine it'd be that hard.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't our media caught producing shit for them?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Are there any links to the information about these being produced in the West? 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks to be just simple mortars. I may be wrong.

They are learning....Frighting to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks very fake. Especially the tank hit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I like our version of Let the Bodies Hit the Floor much better than I like theirs!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks very fake. Especially the tank hit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't be surprised if leftist Hollywood does the editing for them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Amazon's delivery system has been hacked by skynet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Whoa...double tap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This and OP link don't work.  Needs youtube
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Video Link

Today ISIS, also known as the Islamic State or IS, released a new video called “Ninawa Wilayah – Knights of Diwan”.  The video contained the usual propaganda about how great life is under IS, combat footage and SBVIED attacks.  What was most catching about the new video was the last 6 minutes.  IS has equipped small bombs (most likely a 40mm grenade) to their drones and have demonstrated that this weapon is very accurate.

The bombs appear to cause more wounded than dead.  While the beginning of the video shows a plane, the drone dropping the explosive is a quad-copter.  Video is from January 2017.
View Quote
View Quote

This is well beyond hobbyist shit now.  You can clearly see they have backing from a nation state.  It's time we stop fucking around and level everything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Baby steps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#45]
All this stuff would be stupidly easy to do.

A great deal of it can be automated in a way that jamming them is somewhat ineffective (You'll have to resort to physically shooting out of the sky) as much of the process of dropping a bomb can be automated and done just based on internal sensors + GPS.

I've been talking about this being done on the combat field for 4+ years now.

Just imagine what a battlefield will look like when a nation or group has a thousand of these things dropping tens of thousands of guided, small diameter munitions across enemy targets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

He means we have droned them enough, that they have learned. In effect he is right, we have taught them well, by teaching them an effective way to kill and mentally destroy and enemy. Nothing better then a drone for that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like they dropping mortar shells to me. It is most likely fake though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, that stuff is scary. It kinda changes the game about how air superiority dictates the battlefield. Even with jammers couldn't the bad guys just program a gps flight path? Are drones on any sort of ITAR deal?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Just imagine if theta grenade had made it down in the hole, would have taken out the entire crew.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garage door openers?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top