Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/5/2017 11:11:47 PM EDT
Won't be at Daytona until tomorrow night, but here are a few pics from sportscar365 from today:

The 55 Mazda DPi in its race livery........gorgeous:

The 2 Nissan DPi car in race livery.........wow:

Not sure which car this is, probably a WEC spec P2 with a Gibson engine but it looks marvelous:

More pics here:

http://sportscar365.com/features/photography/photos-daytona-thursday-gallery-4/

We will have night practice Saturday night so it's gonna be interesting to see some of the light packages on these things.

Just for those who don't know why I am focusing on the DPi/P2 cars, this is a whole new ball game this year, all brand new cars in Protoype here (both DPi and WEC P2) and in WEC with the spec P2s.

The DPis are the same chassis from one of the 4 approved manufacturers as the P2s just different bodywork, engines, some aero, and electronics.

If IMSA plays it right and don't try to NASCARize it, this could be the best racing on the planet.

Right now it's Mazda, Cadillac, and Nissan in DPi with rumors of other car companies being interested.  It will be a good platform for them as they don't have to built a chassis, just provide the engine.  The bodywork and design can be a co-op between the team and the engine manufacturer or the factory can do the whole think like Mazda and Caddy.  Nissan is more of a co-op right now.

IF you are gonna run a Mazda DPi, they are now tied to the Riley chassis so any others running them will have to have a Riley chassis to start.  That is why the "Visit Florida" team bought a Riley-Gibson WEC spec P2 with an eye on later setting it up as a Mazda.

The Caddys are on Dallarra chassis.

The Nissan uses the Ligier chassis.

This does not mean that some other mfg cannot also use one of these chassis later on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Got pics from the Roar and went ahead and posted them below.
Was gonna wait but decided to post them last night.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
IN, baby
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It was cold and wet on Saturday, both WeatherTech and Continental cars:

Tried to take some shots during night practice last night, not very good:

The ocean outside my hotel was quite angry this morning and today was cold, very very cold:

Today, some WeatherTech cars and some Continental Tire Challenge cars:

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]
In!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I will still do my standalone Rolex24, 12 Hours of Sebring, and Petit threads, but I am gonna go ahead and post this intro since we are entering an entire new era for both the prototypes and GTLM.  I know I talked about it in the original post, but want to try to delve a little deeper.

Starting at the Rolex, both WEC and IMSA will be using the same chassis built by 4 approved constructers, ORECA, Ligier (Onroak), Dallara, and Riley.
In FIA WEC, those chassis must be equipped with a Gibson V8, a Nissan based engine.  It’s a 4 liter naturally aspirated engine making in excess of 600 horsepower and it does sound sweet.  It will have specified engine management, data logger, and other electronics.

In IMSA, those same 4 chassis can be equipped with various engines but must use bodywork reflective of the engine, if you are using a Mazda engine, the car must look a little like a Mazda.
Right now, Mazda, Cadillac, and Nissan are in with new cars that are ready to go and were tested at the Roar before the 24.  The electronics are a little different from the WEC cars.

The Mazda DPi uses the Riley chassis so anyone else that wants to run a Mazda must use the same chassis and bodywork, brakes the car is homologated with, electronics, etc.  Mazda plans to build some customer cars on Riley chassis later on after they get the car developed with the factory team.  One team has already bought a Riley Gibson LMP2 in WEC spec to later convert to a Mazda.

The Caddies are using the Dallara chassis and the same goes for anyone later than wants to run a Caddy has to use a Dallara with all the homologated parts although GM probably won’t allow customer cars and the three that you will see at the Rolex and this season are factory cars.

Nissan is using the Ligier (ONROAK) chassis and the same holds true about any future Nissan DPis as the others.  They may or may not build some customer cars later.

IMSA is allowing the WEC spec LMP2s to run here and they are actually the benchmark against which the DPi performance will be set.
No one has picked an ORECA chassis for a DPi but that could happen later but there are at least two here for the Rolex, including the Rebellion team for those that have been around this for a while.

Also, another engine manufacturer such as Porsche, Ford, Honda, etc can also use a Riley, Dallara, ORECA, or Ligier but different bodywork, maybe homologate it with different brakes, etc. so now the base chassis is not locked in to just one engine.

In GTLM, the BMW and Ferraris are updated 2016 specs cars, not sure but I think the vettes are all new cars, and the 911 RSR is a midengine setup now.

GTD is still to GT3 specs but several new cars including the Acura NSX and the Lexus.  

Alex Job 23 car will be an Audi and that just ain't right.

Hope I explained all that well enough.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Lucas Oil Chili Bowl starts here in a bit if anyone is interested in watching it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I missed that the 2017 started.

Look into the WTR 2017 Cadillac. Seems like a good step forward for Daytona Prototypes.

IMSA: Cadillac DPi.V-R Tech Tour
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I missed that the 2017 started.

Look into the WTR 2017 Cadillac. Seems like a good step forward for Daytona Prototypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10hidYHoP8Q
View Quote

Daytona Prototype in name only.  See my description above.

All monocoque chassis, none of that outdated tube frame crap.

Whine Taylor Racing.  If he don't win, he whines like a little girl.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not fully up to speed on the new terminology for the class, but the new cars are a huge jump forward.

As far as WTR, I pretty much just think Jordan Taylor is a character and is an American winner of the LM24 (in his class) so he has my support.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not fully up to speed on the new terminology for the class, but the new cars are a huge jump forward.

As far as WTR, I pretty much just think Jordan Taylor is a character and is an American winner of the LM24 (in his class) so he has my support.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, Tommy Milner was in the same car and is an American.

Wayne is not an American and I have been around him since Ricky and Jordan were little tikes.

He is a whiner.  I was a fan but over the years, got to where I can't stand him.

And the rules had to be so hammered to make those tube frame POS DPs competitive and he was a leading whiner about that saying that the DPs were the worlds premier prototypes, a world that included at the time the Audi LMP1s and the WEC LMP2s, which were 3 seconds a lap faster at Daytona when the "merger" happened.

They slowed the P2s way down so the DPs could win.  Last year, when I went to COTA, the WEC P2s were 3 seconds a lap faster there than the DPs or the IMSA neutered P2s.  The DPs winning any races was a joke.

Hopefully, that is all in the past now.

I just wish that Honda was still doing the Prototype class so burbanite could be going for overall victories.

As it is, my favorites in P will be:
Mazda
Nissan
the WEC spec Gibson powered P2s
All the caddies break
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#12]
In for a new year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am hoping that within a year or two, Porsche, Ford, Honda, and others realize that DPi is a good way to go prototype racing.

You can go for overall wins at places like Sebring and the Rolex24.

You don't have to build a chassis the way that Audi, Porsche, and Toyota have and like Porsche has done over the years with the 935, 956, 962, and Spyder.

You pick one of the 4 chassis, you pick which of your engines you want to use, you design (or have designed) the bodywork, and go racing.

Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's nowhere near P1 money or maybe even GTE/GTLM money.

Again, if IMSA plays it right, we can have the best racing in the world right here in the WeatherTech series.  Time will tell if they are smart enough to realize it.

ETA:  Mazda is using the Riley chassis which is a joint venture with Multimatic, a Canadian company which runs the WEC Ford GTs and the GT4 Mustangs in the Continental Tires series so maybe we will see Ford sooner than later using a Riley chassis.  As noted, a chassis may be used by more than one auto company as the basis for their DPi.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Larry, you're pretty much on point with that last post.

All I'm going to say is ....watch this space....

I'll be in Daytona on Tuesday, race season is upon us and what an awesome way to start. I have been involved in the GTD project since we inherited it from Japan and will continue with it in both the IMSA and PWC series for the time being. I'll also, as usual, support Indycar as and when I can fit it in. I also have a few new projects that are in the gestation period, some will see the light of day, others, for various reasons may be put on hold until the environment is right. Regardless, we are all going racing soon and that is what drives me each and every day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll be in Daytona on Tuesday, race season is upon us and what an awesome way to start. I have been involved in the GTD project since we inherited it from Japan and will continue with it in both the IMSA and PWC series for the time being. I'll also, as usual, support Indycar as and when I can fit it in. I also have a few new projects that are in the gestation period, some will see the light of day, others, for various reasons may be put on hold until the environment is right. Regardless, we are all going racing soon and that is what drives me each and every day.
View Quote

Sounds like good stuff is coming!

burbanite, I saw one of the NSX GT cars in Detroit at the NAIAS, and if it races as good as it looks it'll be a winner for sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be at Daytona again. Hoping to see another one-two victory for Corvette Racing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, between Fox, Foxsports1, and Foxsports2, they are showing all of the Rolex24 except from 2200 to 2300 Saturday.

Just set up my DVR to record since I will be on the corners.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Just FYI, and since it includes sports car drivers, the Race Of Champions from Miami is on CBSSN right now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like goo stuff is coming!

burbanite, I saw one of the NSX GT cars in Detroit at the NAIAS, and if it races as good as it looks it'll be a winner for sure.
View Quote

The "beauty" of racing in a BOP series is no matter what you do to make your car faster the series will kick you in the nuts....  So, we never see any of the cars at their fullest potential, it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The "beauty" of racing in a BOP series is no matter what you do to make your car faster the series will kick you in the nuts....  So, we never see any of the cars at their fullest potential, it sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you are who they want to win, like the last 3 years.

Unfortunately, even WEC has BOP and I can't really think of any professional series that doesn't have BOP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, even WEC has BOP and I can't really think of any professional series that doesn't have BOP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, this is one of those times that I pine for the"good old days"...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know, this is one of those times that I pine for the"good old days"...
View Quote

Many of the guys who aren't household names are the ones who didn't live to become so. I'd love to see unlimited racing as much as the next guy, but it would be on par with the Colosseum were it to happen. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I was impressed to see RHR and Rahal are driving for Shank this weekend. I have a favorite GTD team now.  

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like rain Saturday night.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks like rain Saturday night.
View Quote

Got a little tonight but after night practice.  I use Rain-X and am staying up 95 a couple of exits.  Didn't even know it was raining until I took my exit and encountered some street lights.

Anyway, there is the 2017 Rolex24 picture thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1959363_The-OFFICIAL-2017-Rolex24-at-Daytona-thread-.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#26]
In late but in!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's to a long and sleepless night..
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
That was an interesting last hour of the Continental race. Drama all around in both classes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here's to a long and sleepless night..
View Quote

I'll drink to that.................tonight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Rolex 24 at Daytona Green Flag.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Third and fourth in class at 9 hours in, long way to go....
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Third and fourth in class at 9 hours in, long way to go....
View Quote

And a long time too
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#33]
In and tag.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
In on one.

Few iPotato pics from today:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I personally thought it was nice to be able to watch the race from start to finish with only 3 channel changes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Bwoah
Driving Audi's 1000bhp R18 LMP1 race car
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#38]
“The IMSA Technical Committee did a remarkably effective job with a lot of new cars and unknowns heading into the Rolex 24,” said IMSA President Scott Atherton. “While we recognize it will always be a topic of great debate, we believe it was extremely fair and equitable for all involved. We are very pleased by the fact that three of the four races for the class win came down to the final few moments of the race, and both GT classes could have gone to any one of several different manufacturers. The results were determined by driver and team performance – exactly as it should be.”
View Quote

Atherton is such a Baghdad Bob.

Yeah, I guess it was fair and equitable if you wanted a certain brand to win overall.

Yeah, the GT classes could have gone to several manufacturers and that was great, but Prototype was pretty much handed to one brand.

Dipshit.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
The Continental Tire Challenge 4 hour race from Daytona will be on FS1 at 1330 EST.  You should watch.

We had a Cayman come hard into our guard rail right near the flag station while I was flagging................
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Can't wait! We're headed over the 2'ed for the SVRA historic races then stage the motorhome in the staging field for the 12 hours. Then back over the 14'th for the big show.

I thought of you instantly when the Caymen smashed up right at turn 5 flag stand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, just got my credentials confirmation by e-mail for Sebring.

3 weeks and 6 days.............

Kinda weird this year.  Usually the track holds paid test days on Mon and Tue and we start first thing Wed morning.

According to the IMSA schedule that they give us and the teams, no cars until 1545 on Wed and just one session each for Prototype Challenge (not the PC class in the WeatherTech Series but the old IMSA Lites with the P3s in the mix now.  This will be their first look in the US) and a session for the GT3 Cup.

Thu will be full tilt boogie with everything being out at some point including night practice.  We will be on the turns from 0800 to 2115........whew!

Lots of practice sessions for everyone and some qualifying for some of the support series.

Fri will be some support races, qualifying for the WT series and the Continental Tire Challenge race.

Sat will be warmups at 0800, some car corrals, and some vintage stuff before the race.

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#43]
OST
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Leaving VIR in the morning having tested the new RealTime Racing NSX here for the past two days then heading to the IMSA open test in Sebring on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Did an SCCA drivers school this weekend at Roebling Road near Savannah.  SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) also incorporated a short school and did some regular races on Saturday.

These pictures are from the vintage group:

Supposedly, the BOSS 302 in this picture belongs to Bill Elliot.  He wasn't there but I was told he owned it:

Old British cars starting with a 1963 Elva:

A Bugeye and a Spridget:

A TR4.  Don't see many of these:

There were 3 914s there including a 914-6.  That car only ran the SVRA races on Saturday and was not around for the school on Sunday, just these 2 914-4s:

The moon was out  during the day:

These guys made a pass at about eye level and then flew on into the woods.  It was pretty cool but I couldn't get hold of my camera until they were out there, dang it:

My Boxster S with the previous midengine flat opposed Porsche going by in the background..........

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Two weeks from tomorrow, practice and qualifying at Sebring begins.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, just got a major schedule change.  Cars will now be on course as of 0800 EDT on Wednesday instead of 1545.

GT3 Cup, Prototype Challenge ( with the new P3 cars as well as the old IMSA Lites), and Continental Tire Series all day and all morning on Thursday with a qualifying session for the GT3 Cup and Prototype Challenge cars.

No WeatherTech cars until an hour long practice session at 1515 on Thursday, a Prototype Challenge race, a GT3 Cup race, and then NIGHT PRACTICE for the WeatherTech cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#49]
First PWC race this weekend in St. Pete. RealTime Racing just received their second NSX, got it off the boat in Miami, did a shakedown at Homestead and it's now here in the paddock. I'll be supporting the two RTR NSX's as well as the Indycars who are also having their season opener. Following that it's a couple of days R&R with the GF then over to Sebring for the 12 Hour.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First PWC race this weekend in St. Pete. RealTime Racing just received their second NSX, got it off the boat in Miami, did a shakedown at Homestead and it's now here in the paddock. I'll be supporting the two RTR NSX's as well as the Indycars who are also having their season opener. Following that it's a couple of days R&R with the GF then over to Sebring for the 12 Hour.
View Quote

The Shank NSXs and the RTR NSXs are both GT3 cars, right?

How much difference in them between the two series?

Very different setups for Pirellis versus Continentals or similar setups?

ETA:  According to 365, Eversly smacked a barrier pretty hard at St Pete.

How is he?

How bad is the car?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top