Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2016 7:33:50 PM EDT
My employer has been understaffed as long as I've been there. Between 5 guys at work there's almost 200 hours of vacation that they won't have time to take, and the company doesn't pay out for unused time at the end of the year. Is this legal?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, my company doesn't accrue time.

State laws may vary.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
No requirement for them to pay out... unless you are hours capped, in use or lose, and reasonable requests have been denied. Then it is a creative denial of compensation.

Otherwise, they'll pay out when you terminate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it is legal in my state anyway. At my company it is use or loose it. but every state has its own labor laws. Chances are your company wouldn't be breaking the law, unless its a shoty business to begin with.

Because of your under staffing has anyone been denied time off if they requested it? Then you might have something to fight with.

I know it sucks trying to take time off in situations like this, You take a week off and your so far behind when you get back it doesn't seem worth it sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it is legal in my state anyway. At my company it is use or loose it. but every state has its own labor laws. Chances are your company wouldn't be breaking the law, unless its a shoty business to begin with.

Because of your under staffing has anyone been denied time off if they requested it? Then you might have something to fight with.

I know it sucks trying to take time off in situations like this, You take a week off and your so far behind when you get back it doesn't seem worth it sometimes.
View Quote

Yes, the guys in the warehouse have been asking for the past few months to use their time but our boss denied it due to being understaffed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Where the request made within a reasonable time frame? Not can I take tomorrow off? I would say a week would be reasonable. Unless your company has a policy that says otherwise. I have seen policy that specifically states you must give 2 weeks notice for any time off requests.

edit: were the requests written/email requests or verbal? Also they will loose this vacation? or will it roll over to next year?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where the request made within a reasonable time frame? Not can I take tomorrow off? I would say a week would be reasonable. Unless your company has a policy that says otherwise. I have seen policy that specifically states you must give 2 weeks notice for any time off requests.

edit: were the requests written/email requests or verbal? Also they will loose this vacation? or will it roll over to next year?
View Quote

2 weeks notice, no rollover. Vacation that isn't used up by end of year is gone. We get a birthday vacation day in the month of our birthday. Mine is January and I've already been shot down for using it even with a 3 week notice lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
quit and give notice that you will be taking your vacation now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2 weeks notice, no rollover. Vacation that isn't used up by end of year is gone. We get a birthday vacation day in the month of our birthday. Mine is January and I've already been shot down for using it even with a 3 week notice lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you might have a leg to stand on. Has anyone gone to HR? How far do you want to take it? Maybe Give a lawyer that specializes in Labor laws of your state. They should be able to tell you if you have a case. Are we talking a larger company or a small one? I am guessing your not in a union?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My employer has been understaffed as long as I've been there. Between 5 guys at work there's almost 200 hours of vacation that they won't have time to take, and the company doesn't pay out for unused time at the end of the year. Is this legal?
View Quote

Depends on state law, some require payout some don't. Nothing on it federally. Sounds like a shitty situation, employees are more effective if they take leave.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That place sounds like an arfcommer's wet dream job
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
According to IL labor laws....

TITLE 56: LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
SUBCHAPTER b: REGULATION OF WORKING CONDITIONS
PART 300 PAYMENT AND COLLECTION OF WAGES OR FINAL COMPENSATION
SECTION 300.520 EARNED VACATIONS

Section 300.520  Earned Vacations

e)         An employment contract or an employer's policy may require an employee to take vacation by a certain date or lose the vacation, provided that the employee is given a reasonable opportunity to take the vacation.  The employer must demonstrate that the employee had notice of the contract or policy provision.

sounds to me like they are violating sub paragraph E above "provided that the employee is given a reasonable opportunity to take the vacation"

of course "reasonable opportunity" is open to interpretation.

I suggest you start reading your company's vacation policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top