Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2016 5:01:52 PM EDT
Never been a fan of hard alcohol.  More of a quality beer guy myself.  However, I recently attended a Christmas party and the host gave me a glass of The Balvenie 12 year Double Wood Scotch.  It wasn't what I was expecting (not at all smoky or peaty).  Nice and smooth.  Mildly sweet.  Plenty of flavor.  I liked it.  Went to the local liquor store and about the best Scotch they had was Johnny Walker Black.  Not interested.  To make a long story short I decided to find a nice American Whiskey.  Settled on the George Dickel 12 year for $26.  So far I like it.  Any other ideas for quality bourbons and non peaty scotches in the $50 or less range???
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Never been a fan of hard alcohol.  More of a quality beer guy myself.  However, I recently attended a Christmas party and the host gave me a glass of The Balvenie 12 year Double Wood Scotch.  It wasn't what I was expecting (not at all smoky or peaty).  Nice and smooth.  Mildly sweet.  Plenty of flavor.  I liked it.  Went to the local liquor store and about the best Scotch they had was Johnny Walker Black.  Not interested.  To make a long story short I decided to find a nice American Whiskey.  Settled on the George Dickel 12 year for $26.  So far I like it.  Any other ideas for quality bourbons and non peaty scotches in the $50 or less range???
View Quote

Woodford Reserve

Basil Hayden's

Blanton's

(Booker's... if you are brave )
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Larceny and Four Roses cask-strength are my current favorites, and I've heard that Evan Williams Single Barrel and Weller Special Reserve are good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Eagle Rare is a great bourbon for the price. As for scotches, look for Highland and Speyside varieties if you like stuff that's not peaty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That reminds me... if you want to save money, Evan Williams 1783 is the best of the garbage bourbons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Woodford reserve is one of my favorite not too expensive bourbons. angels envy is good, four roses..... gentlemen jack is good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That reminds me... if you want to save money, Evan Williams 1783 is the best of the garbage bourbons.
View Quote

This is a damned close second to my favorite which is Jim Beam regular white label.

The good stuff is too smooth for my taste for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Eagle Rare is a great bourbon for the price. As for scotches, look for Highland and Speyside varieties if you like stuff that's not peaty.
View Quote

Eagle Rare is my current reasonably priced favorite.

You can spend the rest of your life drinking whiskeys. It's a wonderful hobby.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel ends this thread.

I think at kroger's they sell them for 42 a bottle. I could be mistaken. If not Knob Creek is an excellent bourbon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't buy real expensive stuff like Woodford or Knob Creek, if you're just going to mix it. 

But if you want to drink it straight, then yeah. Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Bulleit. Good brands right there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
There's also rye whiskies, that's pretty darned traditional.  Old Overholt's my favorite rotgut and it's a fine old rye.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big +1 here. Hard to beat for $26.99 here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's also rye whiskies, that's pretty darned traditional.  Old Overholt's my favorite rotgut and it's a fine old rye.
View Quote

I really enjoy using ryes as mixers. Old Overholt is my go-to for making manhattans and whiskey sours when friends are over.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
In the world of fine bourbon, you only need to know 3 words: Pappy Van Winkle. Everything else is rotgut.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

ER is the best drink out there for the money but at under $40 a bottle you don't think about it. Buffalo Trace, Bullit (Rye) and Four Roses are also quality, 'budget' Bourbons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the world of fine bourbon, you only need to know 3 words: Pappy Van Winkle. Everything else is rotgut.
View Quote

lol Yea good luck with that
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This man speaks the truth. I love Rye Whiskey.  Oddly the only one I tried that I didn't like was Bulleit Rye. It was good for a bourbon, just didn't taste like a Rye. I honestly think I got a mislabeled bottle because everyone else raves about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
This one went down pretty smooth.  My family lives just a few miles away from the distellery.  I plan to pick up several bottles on my next liquor purchase.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us got in on it before everyone knew about it and price got stupid.      For a more affordable whiskey try, W. L. Weller line same wheated Mash bill.    

My other 2 go to Bourbons are Blantons and Makers Mark.    Makers is my everyday, Blantons is sipping.    I also like Eagle Rare, but think the full proof Stag is a bit hard....  

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life is too short for anything less.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
If you like Dickle 12, try Gentleman Jack.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just looking at a bottle of PVW 12 Lot B and thinking about selling it. Idiots are paying $500 a bottle for the stuff.

Pappy is good, but it's not that good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now why would you post that knowing that you can't find it and when you do it's a small fortune

Makers mark and bulleit for me......Evan Williams when I feel like abusing it and and Ezra Brooks for when the neighbors come over and want to mix my bourbon with coke or some other atrocity
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
They make George Dickel right up the road.

If you like the #12, try their Barrel Select (Dickel's single barrel flagship product).  It's not a whole lot more money and is damn good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]

I need to get a bottle of the Turkey 101....
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread has my interest as thinking about a good scotch or whiskey makes my mouth water.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Give this a try
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Bourbon:
E H Taylor small batch
Knob Creek
W L Weller of any variety
Russell's Reserve
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig

Rye:
Pikesville
Knob Creek Rye
Rittenhouse Rye
Russell's Reserve
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I need to get a bottle of the Turkey 101....
View Quote

Rare Breed is quite good also......................
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ezra Brooks spits in your general direction.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Wild Turkey 101 with a splash.

Maker's Mark.

Buffalo Trace is a good everyday if you get it on sale.

Van Winkle if you want to treat yourself.

Keep trying stuff until you find one you like.  Especially with bourbon, price does not necessarily equal quality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Don't waste your time with that trash. Indiana bulk whiskey cut with "Rocky Mountain" water trying to make a buck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace on the cheaper end

Knob Creek Single Barrel is really good and still not too pricey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top