Winchester Experimental Mag-Fed Garands
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Full auto Garand..a.k.a. M-14
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to remember reading in one of the Ambrose books a soldier converted several M1's in his company to full auto, Band of Brothers maybe?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey!!! Another blank post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is getting old.  I assume the penguins are working to fix this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Years ago it was not uncommon to see more than one Garand go through a clip during a service rifle match because the smith did too good a job stoning the trigger and sear...  Even with an unprepped trigger and sear shooters with good enough trigger control can get a Garand to double with a fair
amount of regularity.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had one go happy on me using commercial ammo with apparently softer than mil-surplus primers.

First time I'd ever fired one. Rather exciting and there was a desire to repeat the process but I was over ruled by the owner of said firearm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Very interesting, I've seen mention of the automatic conversion in some Winchester material, but never in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
M-14 was easy enough to convert.

That is why so few actual M-14 receivers are available.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I seem to remember reading in one of the Ambrose books a soldier converted several M1's in his company to full auto, Band of Brothers maybe?
View Quote

Yes, the Forrest Guth special. IIRC the book also states he later took that rifle to Korea, but it's been a while since I've read it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M-14 was easy enough to convert.

That is why so few actual M-14 receivers are available.
View Quote

Yea, just flip the switch to auto and done!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, just flip the switch to auto and done!
View Quote

Most didn't have a switch but a selector lock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had one go happy on me using commercial ammo with apparently softer than mil-surplus primers.

First time I'd ever fired one. Rather exciting and there was a desire to repeat the process but I was over ruled by the owner of said firearm.
View Quote

the garand was designed to run dirty and it chambers ammo with a real hard thump

the floating firing pin gives the primer a nice heavy ding upon chambering

try chambering a round and then pull it out and look at it, you'll see a little dent in the primer

you always want your hand out of the way of that op rod handle in case the round fires, that thing will split your hand wide open

garand designed the gun to run when it was freezing cold and full of dirt, it runs with a ton of energy

look at the size of the extractor, the whole gun is designed for combat reliability
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Not much point really as it has far to much recoil to be effective as a full auto weapon. the M14 had a similar issues and in general 308 is just to larger of a caliber to fire full auto from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

the garand was designed to run dirty and it chambers ammo with a real hard thump

try chambering a round and then pull it out and look at it, you'll see a little dent in the primer

you always want your hand out of the way of that op rod handle in case the round fires, that thing will split your hand wide open

garand designed the gun to run when it was freezing cold and full of dirt, it runs with a ton of energy

look at the size of the extractor, the whole gun is designed for combat reliability
View Quote

well stated;

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, the Forrest Guth special. IIRC the book also states he later took that rifle to Korea, but it's been a while since I've read it.
View Quote

IIRC Guth modifed an M1 carbine not a Garand..
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I bet a FA garand in 30.06 at 950 RPM is a wild beast!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see a video, does no one else? 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Here I was expecting the "shoe string" modification.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I knew a guy that had a full auto BM59.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought all you needed was a piece of string.
View Quote

A string is fine, too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, I understand the floating pin and serious force involved cause.  Was not aware of the "desgined to run freezing cold and full of dirt" part though.
Still want one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Ian at forgotten weapons did a vid on a select fire M1 and a magazine fed M1 just a week or so ago. Winchester developed them after the war. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#25]
What a gip!

No DIY video.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome!  Great post!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Several of the magazine fed, select fire Garands which the Ordnance Department developed and tested (as the T20 series rifles)  had a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What a gip!

No DIY video.
View Quote

Not that I would endorse such behavior, but if you watch the take down of the rifle, it looks like it would be pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ian at forgotten weapons did a vid on a select fire M1 and a magazine fed M1 just a week or so ago. Winchester developed them after the war. 
View Quote

There's a wartime full-auto conversion that was done by the War Department.
The gun is in the museum in Leeds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I knew a guy that had a full auto BM59.
View Quote

I owned one.

Very easy to control in full-auto
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What a gip!

No DIY video.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I love Ian's videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top