Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:07:38 AM EDT
Sister sent my wife and I each an Amazon Fire.  Is it worth rooting to change the launcher or a pain in the butt and risky to brick the device?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought my son an HD8 - still on the fence on if I will root it.

Sideloading the Google Playstore is as easy as loading the four .apk files, instructions here

While I dont like the stock launcher, not sure if I'll bother switching it since I won't be using it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Your not really "rooting" it more than just changing a couple of settings to allow third party apps on it.  Put Kodi on it and go from there.  It's pretty simple stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Root all the things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your not really "rooting" it more than just changing a couple of settings to allow third party apps on it.  Put Kodi on it and go from there.  It's pretty simple stuff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I think its over rated. It has paid for itself time after time but finding something with decent quality is a pain in the ass. Its definitely not a cancel your cable type of thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top