Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 6:12:31 PM EDT
I have a 5.1 system, the receiver is a Sony STR-DH740 and the speakers are Polk Audio RM6750.  I just bought a nice 4k Blu-Ray player, and I can't go 30 seconds without the Sony receiver shutting off and flashing "PROTECTED" at me.

What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Connections to the 5 speakers are fine, the sub has a plug connection, not speaker wire.  The volume is at mid-20's, which is far from house shaking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Is the STR-DH740 HDCP 2.2 compliant?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a short happening.  Check your speaker wires connected to the receiver and make sure you don't have any loose wires touching anything besides the terminals. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Found this.  Fuck me.  I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of new shit.  Goddamnit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a short happening.  Check your speaker wires connected to the receiver and make sure you don't have any loose wires touching anything besides the terminals. 
View Quote

Speaker wires are all good, I checked that immediately.  Thanks though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Is it happening just while using the 4K BR player?

Does it happen no matter what the source?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is it happening just while using the 4K BR player?

Does it happen no matter what the source?
View Quote

I got through the intro to Mad Max and it started happening.

Sometimes it would do it while listening to music from ChromeCast from my phone if the volume was above 30 - which still isn't that loud, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may think that. This is classic short on an AV receiver.  I've had this happen many times throughout the years. 

Try removing all speaker connections including the sub.  The add one speaker.  Play your movie and see if it happens. If it doesn't, then it's a short.  Just start replacing one speaker at a time. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your signal going from the 4K BR player to the receiver to the TV?

If so, try going direct from the 4K BR player to the TV, then optical audio out to the receiver.

That might be a 'work-around' until you can buy an HDCP 2.2 compliant reciever.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you're having handshake problems, look into a HDFury for a fix so you don't have to replace your receiver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the 5.1 version of the same receiver. It did the same thing to me. The "Protected" error message on these receivers actually means it cuts power to protect it from meltdown. The most common issues I found on the internet were speaker wires shorting against each other, and overheating.

My issue was overheating. It didn't appear to be getting warm, but pulling it out of the TV console so the top vents were open to the room solved the problem completely.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It has nothing to do with hdcp 2.2.  A receiver isn't going to shut off it it's not compliant.  It's just not going to pass the video along. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm way behind when it comes to newer audio stuff but can you check the internal audio settings in the tv or br player and make some changes?   There might be something there to change that might make a difference.   HDMI setting, etc   Heck my Receiver is so old the jacks aren't even color coded(White, Red, etc)   I really need to upgrade but when I read these issues I feel I need to read up more.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the 5.1 version of the same receiver. It did the same thing to me. The "Protected" error message on these receivers actually means it cuts power to protect it from meltdown. The most common issues I found on the internet were speaker wires shorting against each other, and overheating.

My issue was overheating. It didn't appear to be getting warm, but pulling it out of the TV console so the top vents were open to the room solved the problem completely.
View Quote

That would be the only other possible scenario is that it's overheating. Make sure it has room to breathe. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Since it happens with both 4K BR and Google Chrome-cast music, I agree with Metalsabre.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That would be the only other possible scenario is that it's overheating. Make sure it has room to breathe. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've gotten 5 minutes into this movie now since pulling the receiver out of the TV stand.  That's pretty pathetic, as it had quite a bit of room over it for the air to dissipate.  It's still going though, so I'll have to rework how I have everything placed it appears.

This could have been a lot worse.  I've dealt with getting a new roof, plumbing issues, a starter going out in the GF's car, me hitting a deer, furnace issues, paying a contractor to finish a patio that I screwed up, and my deep freeze dying since September.  I don't have the money to spend on something else at the moment, gift cards got me this 4k Blu-Ray player and that was all I was doing for myself until everything is paid off in a few months.. so this was kinda big to me.  I'm hoping this holds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
You could try buying a computer fan or 2 and wire it up to blow air into the receiver to keep air moving into it.  It's similar to what av rack mounted users do. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You could try buying a computer fan or 2 and wire it up to blow air into the receiver to keep air moving into it.  
View Quote

That's not a bad idea, I could rig that up.  Good thinking, I appreciate it man.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the same thing happen to a Sony I had.  I think it may have been the same model.  After a bunch of trying to fix the issue, I found it was time to throw that one out and get a new one.  Based on the research I did, it seems it is a very common problem with Sony.    

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Decent gear that is modern are plenty & cheap right now.  I'd buy a new one & be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had the same thing happen to a Sony I had.  I think it may have been the same model.  After a bunch of trying to fix the issue, I found it was time to throw that one out and get a new one.  Based on the research I did, it seems it is a very common problem with Sony.    
View Quote

I had an Onkyo with this setup for years, and it died so I just bought a receiver that was 4k compatible.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have the blu-ray plugged into your amp/receiver for power, remove it and plug it in elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have the blu-ray plugged into your amp/receiver for power, remove it and plug it in elsewhere.
View Quote

HDMI's all go through the receiver, but I have a massive surge protector everything goes to for power.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Laptop cooler placed on top?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Over heating or something is hooked up out of phase. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
its a speaker short.

unplug all speaker wires and see if it goes away.

then plug them in one by one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Check the impedance of the speakers, and look in the receiver's menu for a 'Speaker Setup' section.  Maybe it's not set to match the speakers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Classic Sony overheat. This what you seek. I have dual fans that plug into the aux switched power outlet on the receiver. so when the receiver comes on the fans come on as well. Or if you want to spend a little more. Get this
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Classic Sony overheat. This what you seek. I have dual fans that plug into the aux switched power outlet on the receiver. so when the receiver comes on the fans come on as well.
View Quote

How do you have them placed?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#31]
My Kenwood receiver out in the barn will do that when power flickers on and off. eventually it comes out of protected mode, I crank it up pretty good (can hear it all over property) and have never had it go in protected mode while running.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How do you have them placed?
View Quote

They just sit on top of the receiver. One blowing up/out above the heat sink and the other about 2 inchs away blowing down/in. If you have the room and a few extra bucks see my edit in the post. or go here
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I'll grab the second one, that looks great, thanks man.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
No problem. what speakers are you trying to power it with? Being a solid state amp/receiver if your trying to push big speakers with it be careful of distortion. All of the Sony A/V receivers I have had are under powered compared to their ratings and distort easily.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
He's got a satellite speaker setup. Powered sub (connects with an RCA, not amplified by the receiver) and 4 little cube speakers with 3.5inch woofers, and a center channel. No freaking way is that amp overheating because of that small shit. It's a short in the wiring or its a short in one of the speakers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He's got a satellite speaker setup. Powered sub (connects with an RCA, not amplified by the receiver) and 4 little cube speakers with 3.5inch woofers, and a center channel. No freaking way is that amp overheating because of that small shit. It's a short in the wiring or its a short in one of the speakers.
View Quote

Logically I think you're right.  But I watched all of Mad Max once I moved the receiver outside of the TV stand without issue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Logically I think you're right.  But I watched all of Mad Max once I moved the receiver outside of the TV stand without issue.
View Quote

Set AVR to stereo, try. Does it go into protect mode? (At this point it is only powering the L-R front speakers)
Disconnect all the speakers, turn the AVR on.
AVR does it again without speakers, time for a new AVR

I have seen several Sony's do this. It normally means the magic smoke has escaped.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#38]
 Through International  copyright protection laws, SONY Owns your  music, and it is  thus  " Protected".
 If you  remit proper payment, you will be permitted access to  said music files.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You may think that. This is classic short on an AV receiver.  I've had this happen many times throughout the years. 

Try removing all speaker connections including the sub.  The add one speaker.  Play your movie and see if it happens. If it doesn't, then it's a short.  Just start replacing one speaker at a time. 
View Quote

This is what happened to me. A single strand of copper fiber from one of the speaker wires was touching the back of the receiver, instead of being in the hole where it should be. 

OP might be worth triple checking if it's not the overheating issue as others suggested. A bright flashlight helps you find these things. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Set AVR to stereo, try. Does it go into protect mode? (At this point it is only powering the L-R front speakers)
Disconnect all the speakers, turn the AVR on.
AVR does it again without speakers, time for a new AVR

I have seen several Sony's do this. It normally means the magic smoke has escaped.
View Quote

Yeah....do this
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Burnz
View Quote

Ok so next question... You connected the powered sub with the RCA connectors, did you also connect it with speaker wires (i see in the photo of the rear of the sub, that it has speaker level inputs and outputs also). I am pretty sure you should either use the RCA or the speaker level inputs, not both.

Also on the receiver, go into the settings and tell it you have SMALL speakers, instead of LARGE, this will send the low bass frequencies to the subwoofer, you may also have to tell the receiver you have a subwoofer for it to send something out the rca outputs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I didn't look at the speaker set up you are running. Mike3000 is probably right. Something is shorting/drawing to much power causing the receiver to overheat. Did you have this setup before you bought the 4K? Did it work fine?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ok so next question... You connected the powered sub with the RCA connectors, did you also connect it with speaker wires (i see in the photo of the rear of the sub, that it has speaker level inputs and outputs also). I am pretty sure you should either use the RCA or the speaker level inputs, not both.

Also on the receiver, go into the settings and tell it you have SMALL speakers, instead of LARGE, this will send the low bass frequencies to the subwoofer, you may also have to tell the receiver you have a subwoofer for it to send something out the rca outputs.
View Quote

Just the RCA connectors.  Only "subwoofer" spot on the back of the receiver had connections for those.

And they are set at small, I had an issue a year or so ago where I had to check that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sorry I didn't look at the speaker set up you are running. Mike3000 is probably right. Something is shorting/drawing to much power causing the receiver to overheat. Did you have this setup before you bought the 4K? Did it work fine?
View Quote

I ran into this a few times, usually when using Chromecast to play music from our phones.  Volume hits 30, it'll play for less than a minute then go into Protector mode again.  30 really isn't that loud, so I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just the RCA connectors.  Only "subwoofer" spot on the back of the receiver had connections for those.

And they are set at small, I had an issue a year or so ago where I had to check that.
View Quote

Sounds good. I would still check the wiring, thats usually when Sony's go into protect. I once had a protect short, i checked both ends of all the wires for stray strands, in the end it turned out to be where i had tucked some wiring behind the edge of the carpet, it had got stuck with a tack strip thru the insulator and shorted the positive and negative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top