Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 4:21:43 PM EDT
The PSAT thread got me thinking.....

I'm 36, male, white.  I received a B.S. in Computer and Information Technology from Purdue with a GPA of 3.1 in 2003 and a M.S. in Technology from Purdue with a 4.0 GPA in 2014.  I've been successful and working in a career in technology for the past 15 years.

If I wanted to go back to school to for an MBA (or whatever) at an Ivy League school (Stanford, Harvard, MIT, etc...), would I have any chance of actually getting accepted?

Unlikely I would ever go do this, but I'm curious from anyone who might know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In your 30s do an EMBA, that's what I did.

Completely worth it from a career perspective, but get a brand name like you listed. MBAs are a dime a dozen and need the name. Education is probably comparable through

I went on job interview, after being accepted, but before setting foot in the classroom.
The president and VP of the company were both alma maters from the ivy I was going to in the fall. Needless to say I got the job

Pm me if you want to ask details on the process
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The PSAT thread got me thinking.....

I'm 36, male, white.  I received a B.S. in Computer and Information Technology from Purdue with a GPA of 3.1 in 2003 and a M.S. in Technology from Purdue with a 4.0 GPA in 2014.  I've been successful and working in a career in technology for the past 15 years.

If I wanted to go back to school to for an MBA (or whatever) at an Ivy League school (Stanford, Harvard, MIT, etc...), would I have any chance of actually getting accepted?

Unlikely I would ever go do this, but I'm curious from anyone who might know.
View Quote

Stanford and MIT are not Ivy League Schools. There are 8 Ivy's

Harvard
Princeton
Columbia
Dartmouth
The University of Pennsylvania (home of Wharton)
Yale
Brown
Cornell

Schools like Stanford, MIT, University of Chicago and Duke  are often rated better than some Ivy League schools, but again, are not Ivy League schools.  The term to include them is usually "Ivy +" (said "Ivy Plus" )

As for getting an MBA, sure.  Go for it.  Some are easier to get into than others.  Harvard tends to take a younger cohort.  Others may want more demonstrated performance in the real world.

One thing to keep in mind with grad schools at the very best schools (Ivy + ) is part of their mission is to produce  people that will (or already are) successful and influential.  It is how they maintain their wealth and brand.   They do not have to take many risks on students because of the strength of their applicant pools.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In your 30s do an EMBA, that's what I did.

Completely worth it from a career perspective, but get a brand name like you listed. MBAs are a dime a dozen and need the name. Education is probably comparable through

I went on job interview, after being accepted, but before setting foot in the classroom.
The president and VP of the company were both alma maters from the ivy I was going to in the fall. Needless to say I got the job

Pm me if you want to ask details on the process
View Quote

Did you go to Johnson? (Cornell)

OP, Cornell offers the EMBA Americas.  It is a way to get a real Ivy League MBA without having to move for 2 years to an Ivy League school.   You end up with a real MBA from Cornell.  Cornell is certainly one of the best and most prestigious schools in the world.  

Cornell EMBA
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Harvard's Extension School has some fairly reasonable MBA programs. Do note that you have to do 1 semester on campus, though. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Harvard's Extension School has some fairly reasonable MBA programs. Do note that you have to do 1 semester on campus, though. 
View Quote

Harvard Extension School does not offer ANY MBA programs.

All graduate degrees they offer are Masters of Liberal Arts, (ALM at Harvard, they follow the Latin) even if the concentration is finance or management.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Harvard Extension School does not offer ANY MBA programs.

All graduate degrees they offer are Masters of Liberal Arts, (ALM at Harvard, they follow the Latin) even if the concentration is finance or management.  
View Quote

Whoops! I could have sworn I saw something there and my coworker was talking about it too. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]
do what ya gotta do to get edumacated and make that cash.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you go to Johnson? (Cornell)

OP, Cornell offers the EMBA Americas.  It is a way to get a real Ivy League MBA without having to move for 2 years to an Ivy League school.   You end up with a real MBA from Cornell.  Cornell is certainly one of the best and most prestigious schools in the world.  

Cornell EMBA
View Quote

Out of curiosity, I checked to see how much that program is.

170K.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]

It is an MBA from an Ivy....yeah. They cost a lot of money.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#10]
At 36+ (you won't start until 37 or 38) you'd be the oldest student by far in a full-time program.  I went when I was 33 and there were only a handful older than me.

I don't have enough of your background to say whether or not you're competitive.  It goes beyond just a GPA.  And also remember that different Ivy League MBA programs are ranked very different.  Harvard is generally in the top 3, while Cornell tends to be in the top 15.

Off the top of my head, I'd say you could land a top 15 school (maybe even top 10).  Definitely go to the best school you can.  MBA's are all about name recognition.

RF
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Currently doing another Masters in Engineering at USC (im 37).  Honestly can't say its doing much for me.

An MBA may be of more help, But I'd think actually starting a and running a business on your own would be better experience.  Unless you wanna score college poon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Currently doing another Masters in Engineering at USC (im 37).  Honestly can't say its doing much for me.

An MBA may be of more help, But I'd think actually starting a and running a business on your own would be better experience.  Unless you wanna score college poon.
View Quote

You already have a Master's in Engineering?  Yeah, and MBA would make a lot more sense.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You already have a Master's in Engineering?  Yeah, and MBA would make a lot more sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MBA is all the new Razz These days.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top