Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 3:35:49 PM EDT
Let me start by saying if this spirals into what it almost surely will, I will request a thread lock.

With that out of the way, it seems to me that it would be a good idea to read the Quran and attempt to learn what I can from it, While it won't help me understand the perverted versions of it that are used as an excuse for genocide, I do believe that it will help my understanding of the religion as a whole. I read the communist manifesto once for the same reason.

Now, normally when I want to read something, I just buy it and do so, but this is different, I do not want to pay for it, I don't particularly want to read it in public, and I do not want to end up on a watch list.

What would be the best source for it and which translation do I want?

I also don't want to sit in front of the computer to read it either, I guess if all else fails I can read it from my phone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
All I know is that it's not a Quran if it is not in Arabic and I have absolutely no interest in learning Arabic.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a mosque in your area, I bet you could go and ask for one.

Looks like you can read it online on several websites too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know is that it's not a Quran if it is not in Arabic and I have absolutely no interest in learning Arabic.
View Quote

I have also heard that non-arabic translations change the tone/message significantly. (No details, that is all I remember from the conversation back in college)
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
<CoC edit>
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Your local mosque would likely give you one and help you understand it... See if they have a community outreach person.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Learn Farsi go to Saudi Arabia and get it first hand from the real deal..
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your local mosque would likely give you one and help you understand it... See if they have a community outreach person.

I'd like to avoid that if I could, but there is one about 10 minutes from work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]

post and threaten a thread lock if it doesn't go your way  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
What's wrong with this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Quran-English-Understand-Modern-Translation/dp/1500870226?tag=vglnk-c102-20?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Or the other 500 I found when Googling Quaran in English?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
While you read it please snack on pork rinds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you can get one for free easily, but don't want to do it.

Fucking troll thread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

post and threaten a thread lock if it doesn't go your way  
View Quote

I didn't say "if it doesn't go my way".

But if it goes full retard it will be locked regardless.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I keep a copy in every bathroom in our house, I use pages from it daily and sometimes 2-3 times a day depending on what i ate
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saudis generally use Arabic and are enemies with Persians/Iranians whom generally use Farsi.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fucking troll thread.
View Quote

I don't troll, I don't want really want to take their book and give the impression that I have a heartfelt interest in it's message, I also don't want to give the impression that I just want it to pick apart and throw it away when I'm done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While you read it please snack on pork rinds.
View Quote

I'd be happy to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Read the Hadith if you want to learn about extremist Islam. The qu'ran is like the Bible reinterpreted by Mohammad.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why on Earth would he wish to learn Farsi to go to KSA?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't troll, I don't want really want to take their book and give the impression that I have interest in it's message, I also don't want to give the impression that I just want it to pick apart and throw it away when I'm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't troll, I don't want really want to take their book and give the impression that I have interest in it's message, I also don't want to give the impression that I just want it to pick apart and throw it away when I'm done.

Go to the mosque and say:
It seems to me that it would be a good idea to read the Quran and attempt to learn what I can from it, I do believe that it will help my understanding of the religion as a whole.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Dr Bill Warner has some introductory stuff, videos and books with "for Westerners" interpretations.

https://www.politicalislam.com/shop/

There are a lot of videos on Youtube if you want to get a taste for it before buying.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my copy of the koran from amazon, or might have been barnes & noble.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Cant speak, going to CoC violation.

Going to my safe space.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Go to the mosque and say:
View Quote

I suppose that could work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
<CoC edit>
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't troll, I don't want really want to take their book and give the impression that I have a heartfelt interest in it's message, I also don't want to give the impression that I just want it to pick apart and throw it away when I'm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking troll thread.

Kinda like when I wanted to read the Book of Mormon in high school... Sure, they sent me one.  They also sent a near endless stream of whiteshirts to follow up afterward.  Should've just picked one up at B&N.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Lear about Islam?

Go hang out a battered woman's shelter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#30]
You can google up all you want to on the Quran.  I googled a site that gave 5-6 different possible translation of the original text to let you compare how it was being translated.  In general there was little difference on the overall meaning of a particular piece. 

Know the Medina and the Mecca Quran and their timelines.  Know one is more radical than the other.  Know that it tells you the latest text is always the more accurate text.  The latest text is also nearly always the more radical text.  
Good luck if you really want to learn about it and check out some of the resources by Dr. Bill Warner.

Bill Warner
because embedding no longer works from my chromebook???
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
There is "the quran", and then the quran, written especially for people just like you. Most of the translated ones are written in a way, that if Mother Teresa reads it, she would weep from guilt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

So we can post pictures of English language "Qurans" substituing for the Sears catalog?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dr Bill Warner has some introductory stuff, videos and books with "for Westerners" interpretations.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube if you want to get a taste for it before buying.
View Quote

This. Get his edition. It focuses on the treatment of kaffir.  It's quite an eye opener.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#35]
NASA probably has some to hand out.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm interested in critiquing it, too many liberal assholes say I need to read it before they'll believe me.

I'm familiar with the old English in the King James Version of the bible, how far off is the Jefferson Koran from that?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#37]
<CoC edit>
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Make sure you stick with the King James version.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#39]
All of mine are ebooks but just know there are sanitized translations out there that tone down the violence of the message. I'd look for a "non sanitized" version.

And don't worry about these claims that you have to read it in Arabic. That's hogwash.

The Koran is a collection of sayings passed down through either amateur note taking or oral tradition collected 100-200 years AFTER Mohammad died. So it isn't like you're missing out on some original idea of the prophet if the English version isn't exact.

There isn't even a shred of evidence that the alleged author even existed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#40]
When I wrote my last paper on Islam I used one of the online Quran's, it worked well enough.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Try your local public library. Not only will they have copies to read, but likely materials to explain to nuances or historical connotations of hat you're reading.

And no, the library doesn't keep records of who reads what and will provide nothing to authorities without a court order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
<CoC edit>
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
This, this, this. ^^^^

All answers you seek are here. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#44]
hmmmmm... learn Farsi and go to KSA...

May as well learn Swahili and go there.  There are a few native Farsi speakers in the KSA but they are not the "Clerics" who you would go learn from.  IF you meet someone who speaks Farsi, they are more than likely walking some Saudi's dog.

I spent 6 months there.  I would not volunteer to spend another second there unless it offered enough money to retire in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with the old English in the King James Version of the bible, how far off is the Jefferson Koran from that?
View Quote

Just for accuracy's sake, the English used in the KJV is Early Modern English. Old English died out about a century after the Norman Invasion of 1066.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Might as well read Mein Kampf whilst you're at it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#47]
CoC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top