Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 12:29:01 PM EDT

I had a piece of my upper left wisdom tooth break off about a year ago. I didnt see the need to get anything done. It didnt hurt, figured I would keep on trucking. 
I also didnt have insurance, or the cash to get anything done.

Fast forward to Saturday night. I awoke at 3am to intense pain in that tooth area. I brushed my teeth again, put on on orajel, lidocaine, anything to get the pain subsided. Finally the pain is gone. Even took a sinus pill. I usually get a little pain up there when my sinuses flare up.

I made an appointment with the oral surgeon. I think its best to just remove the sucker.
Of course I just had to watch a few youtube videos...

Now Im wondering what have I done.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Just had my two (never got bottoms) pulled out on Friday.
It was really fun, especially when a preexisting condition meant no general anesthesia so I was awake for the whole thing with local + nitrous.
My surgeon was $350 per tooth, plus $120 for nitrous and local, anesthesia would've been another $500.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Who goes under general for extraction?

OP, you're going to die.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some people do.

Quoted:
OP, you're going to die.

Dibs on everything.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I had my three out 2 weeks ago. Was supposed to be an easy thing. They put me to sleep and I wake up and it is done. It didn't quite work out that way. I woke up during the middle of it. I was never really out the entire time. It was like I was watching some shitty 60s music video with all the random colors and shit. I couldn't move much, but I could hear everything. They finally tied my arms down to the chair. I started tapping my finger on the chair to let them know that I wasn't out. I could hear them crunching teeth and grabbing my jaw. Fentanyl and ketamine suck. I cant imagine using that shit for fun. I am glad that I am fresh out of wisdom teeth, because I would not do that shit again. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

OP, you're going to die.
View Quote

People who hate needles.
I thought I'd freak out with just nitrous, but other than white-knuckling the armrests and wishing I'd never heard certain noises, it went ok.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Had all 4 done at once.  Novacaine only.  No reason to go under.  Wasn't bad at all.  Paid a friend that was a dentist $700 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh, find an old-school dentist that will yank it out with a simple shot of novacaine. I had both of my top ones pulled that way and it wasn't that big of a deal. The 20 minutes of shoving gauze into the back of my jaw to stop the bleeding was a hoot though. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
How old are you, OP?

Because the older you are....the worse it is.

Had mine pulled in my '50's. All four at once. All four impacted. Upper two into the sinuses. Bottom left broke the jaw to get it out...but in a minor way. Been over a year now, I still get the odd bone splinter coming out through the gums. Those are a real pain in the ass.  Long recovery time, especially the older you get.

Oh, and Ibuprofen for jaw and mouth pain, that works best. Better than aspirin, etc.

I'm glad I took a general for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Now we see why those Arfcom hated dental plans are so important; $49 per tooth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
6 or 7 years ago I experienced serious pain and went to the dentist. After X rays, it was found that I had a sideways wisdom tooth that grew to impact the next tooth and the other wisdom tooth was also sideways and both needed to be removed. I used Monarch Dental, they were the least expensive and very flexible with the bill. The Oral Surgeon used an anesthetic. I usually hate needles, but, he placed it on my forearm and I never felt the needle being inserted. A few seconds later I passed out and woke up with all the work done. The only actual pain I felt was later when the anesthetic wore off I could feel burning sensation from the surgery which I was prescribed Hydrocodone - Apap, and pain in my jaw/gums (bruising) from where they place the devices that held my jaw open for the 45 minute procedure (this was the worst pain, worse than the surgery cuts). I tried the Hydrocodone and it didn't do much except to cause extreme nausea. I only took one Hydrocodone and stopped. The nausea was worse than the gum pains from the bruising. The pain from the surgery cuts only lasted several days. The pain in my jaw/gums lasted a week. Worse still I developed lock jaw that was even more painful and that lasted a full month. I would wake up at night with pain radiating from my jaw to the top of my head. I only could get my mouth open about 1 1/2" to get food into my mouth and could only eat about 1/3 of my normal intake. Chewing was very painful. Good luck with your surgery.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I had all four of mine removed 20ish years ago.  Believe it or not one still hasn't healed correctly; about once or twice a year the skin will break open.  Oh and I drove myself home from the extraction, probably not a good idea.

If yours is busted and hurting take it out.  I'm not quite sure why the others are removed if they aren't causing a problem.  Perhaps the oral surgeon had some car payments to make....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy double post batman!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I had all 4 removed about a year ago. The ticket is "twilight sedation" or whatever they call it. I was talking to the doc as they were putting the IV in, and then they suddenly told me I was done. It was like the extraction never happened, one moment I was talking and the next I was still talking but with gauze in my mouth. It also has far less risk than being put under.

The recovery isn't bad, just have soft food like ice cream (nothing with nuts/chips to get stuck in the sutures, just solid flavors) and light soups (chicken noodle is the classic) ready for the first day or two. As long as you keep to the pain pills regiment as prescribed (mine were pretty weak/low-dose) the pain isn't bad at all. Honestly, not even a blip on my serious pain meter and nothing to be worried about.

I did it on a Friday and was able to function fine, and didn't need the pain pills anymore, in time for the work week to begin.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
OP get them all pulled! I was a huge sissy about getting mine pulled for years(I'm 32). Finally they were hurting me bad enough I was in constant pain, headaches, I lived on vitamin I. Made the appointment with oral surgeon to have them all pulled at once under general iv anesthesia. Should have done it years ago! Last thing I remember was sitting down in the chair and talking to the Dr.. Woke up and they're like, "Your done!". From what I was told I didn't believe them at first LOL. Recovery for me wasn't bad at all either. Had it done on a Thursday and just took it easy for the weekend, but hell I was out shooting shot guns that Sunday
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had teeth pulled with novocaine, and general anesthesia.  My old time dentist gave me some novocaine,mane asked "can you feel this" three times before I noticed there was a slight crunch each time.  After the fourth "can you feel this", he said "bite down on this".  I asked when we would start the extraction, and he turned around and showed me the tooth was already in the pliers...dang, that old boy was good.

To get all three done at once I opted for conscious sedation, a combination of versed and fentanyl.  That is a very stress less way to go.  Iv goes in, chat for a moment, and wake up with it all over.

I tried to be a cheap ass and wait until next year's dental benefits kicked in to fix a tooth with a cavity.  The wait destroyed the tooth costing me about $7500 out of pocket in addition to insurance payments for extraction, implanting the post for the implant tooth, and the implant crown.  Waiting is NOT cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone will have a different experience, mainly because of the level of impaction, but also other anatomical and physiological considerations. I had four-on-the-floor but my third molars were impacted but easily extracted. No complications post-op.

No one uses novocaine anymore to do the allergenic properties of its amide group. Lidocaine (ester group) has been the dentist's choice for over 40 years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now we see why those Arfcom hated dental plans are so important; $49 per tooth.
View Quote

Dental plans starts Jan. 1.

I will be waiting till then. 80% coverage after the 50$ deductible.
Going in for a consult Jan, 2, then scheduling all 4 to be removed after that.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Got them removed at 17, awake for it all with general anesthesia.  What messed me up more the next day was taking the Vicodin on an empty stomach, rather than the pain.

Of course there are going to be more painful experiences, but as long as you go into it thinking you'll be alright, you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Lol.  Sorry for your pain but if you went to your dentist regularly...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OP, you're going to die.
View Quote

you would be begging for it if the teeth were impacted...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Had all 4 of mine removed at once. They were impacted and surgery was required .Fun Fun. Enjoy. Good pain killers afterwards though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife had one that had been bothering her for about a month.
Being the nut case she is, she pulled it herself last Thursday.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OP, you're going to die.
View Quote

Wisdom teeth, oh yeah.  Mine were impacted and took some effort to remove.  No way I was staying awake thru that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP get them all pulled! I was a huge sissy about getting mine pulled for years(I'm 32). Finally they were hurting me bad enough I was in constant pain, headaches, I lived on vitamin I. Made the appointment with oral surgeon to have them all pulled at once under general iv anesthesia. Should have done it years ago! Last thing I remember was sitting down in the chair and talking to the Dr.. Woke up and they're like, "Your done!". From what I was told I didn't believe them at first LOL. Recovery for me wasn't bad at all either. Had it done on a Thursday and just took it easy for the weekend, but hell I was out shooting shot guns that Sunday
View Quote

Pretty much my experience. I remember talking to the Doc about fishing and then them pushing me out the door in a wheel chair. I took one of the pain pills they gave me when I got home just to knock me and take a nap. Never took another and didn't have any pain.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP, you're going to die.
View Quote

Mine were impacted it was a two hour surgery that needed them to cut into my alveolar bone and maxillary sinuses.

I am also a member of the evolved master race with no bottom wisdom teeth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Had all four of mine removed. I'm not sure how but I neve felt the slightest bit of pain - before, during or after. Granted I took the Percocet every six or so hours afterward for the first day or two but I wonder if I even needed to. I've heard horror stories so I feel lucky mine went so smoothly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't sweat it.  Folks make a bigger deal out of them them they are.

20 second Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Had all 4 done in the morning, was fucked up all day, took my FDA-approved opium and went to a metal concert that night.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/DF3110A6-10B4-433D-B2C4-CAD3523B92CC.jpg
View Quote

Your wife is badass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, you're going to die.

Wrong.

See my video above. That is an impacted tooth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your wife is badass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/DF3110A6-10B4-433D-B2C4-CAD3523B92CC.jpg

Your wife is badass.

His wife may or may not be a badass.......but badassery not necessary to remove that tooth. His wife has periodontal disease and that tooth had massive bone loss. It was just flopping.....held only by inflamed gums. You can se the tarter all the way down the root.

She needs a dentist, or she will be blowing teeth out of her mouth with a strong sneeze.  I am sure you can smell her sulphur breath from across the room.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did when I had all 4 wisdom taken out along with four others due to overcrowding.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
i would have checked at the dentist before getting an oral surgeon, an erupted wisdom toothe is usually a very easy extraction.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

His wife may or may not be a badass.......but badassery not necessary to remove that tooth. His wife has periodontal disease and that tooth had massive bone loss. It was just flopping.....held only by inflamed gums. You can se the tarter all the way down the root.

She needs a dentist, or she will be blowing teeth out of her mouth with a strong sneeze.  I am sure you can smell her sulphur breath from across the room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your wife is badass.

I love the way grizzled Docs explain things
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mine were impacted it was a two hour surgery that needed them to cut into my alveolar bone and maxillary sinuses.

I am also a member of the evolved master race with no bottom wisdom teeth.
View Quote

I only have one bottom wisdom tooth, does that make me half-master race?

My two erupted and one hidden wisdoms teeth haven't given any trouble, and once I was over 25 dentists didn't seem to campaign for extracting them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I only have one bottom wisdom tooth, does that make me half-master race?

My two erupted and one hidden wisdoms teeth haven't given any trouble, and once I was over 25 dentists didn't seem to campaign for extracting them.
View Quote

It makes you more.

Humans are evolving to have less teeth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's how a lot of wisom teeth look, real shallow root, i bet that sucker came right out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I just had my lower left wisdom tooth pulled today. And I was thinking about starting a thread about it.

I was in the chair for 3 hours while he worked on 5 or 6 other caveties. The extraction itself only took about 10 minutes. I was just under a local anesthetic for the whole thing.

Going to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled at some point. My top ones have come in fully and straight, the bottom ones were badly impacted and pushing against the other molars in front of them. This one I had pulled today was worst of them all. Kept it packed with the gauze for about 2 1/2 hours, and am just now trying to eat something so I can take my pain meds. And now the Novocain or whatever he used is starting to wear off and I can feel the pain in my jaw.

Fucking hate going to the dentist. Even for just a regular cleaning.

Having the reasonably attractive dental assistant mash her boobs into the side of my face isn't worth the agony that I have to go through.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top