Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 11:10:36 AM EDT
I have yet to see any 2017 4-Runners for sale - even the Toyota website still lists 2016....

Anyone know the reason or when the 2017s will come to market?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered a 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner on Saturday and was told 14-18 week backorder.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't "order" a TRD Pro.  They are distributed by 'allocation' and a dealer prays that they get one, many don't.  If they don't get 'allocated' one then the best they can do is trade for one, and almost no dealer is willing to give up a TRD Pro. They simply tell customers that they can order one to get them on a hook.

Toyota dealers will earn a certain number of 'allocations' each month based on their sales.  So if they earn 15 allocations then they fill out a priority list that goes to a lottery. If they really want to increase their chances of getting a TRDP then their first 5 selections out of the 15 will be a TRDP, hoping that 1 of their 5 entries gets picked, if not they just burned up 5 choices.

My brother sold cars and I went straight to the top at our Toyota dealerships looking for a TRDP 4R.  They only tell customers that they can "order" one to keep them roped in at the dealer.  They only had 1,500 total TRDP 4Rs last year in the USA market, 500 in each color.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds similar to what Dodge did with the 2015 Hellcat. Dealers promised guys cars, but couldn't deliver because they didn't have the allocations.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably still figuring out how much they can overcharge for them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Its the same vehicle from 5+ years ago, what difference does it make?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can't "order" a TRD Pro.  They are distributed by 'allocation' and a dealer prays that they get one, many don't.  If they don't get 'allocated' one then the best they can do is trade for one, and almost no dealer is willing to give up a TRD Pro. They simply tell customers that they can order one to get them on a hook.

Toyota dealers will earn a certain number of 'allocations' each month based on their sales.  So if they earn 15 allocations then they fill out a priority list that goes to a lottery. If they really want to increase their chances of getting a TRDP then their first 5 selections out of the 15 will be a TRDP, hoping that 1 of their 5 entries gets picked, if not they just burned up 5 choices.

My brother sold cars and I went straight to the top at our Toyota dealerships looking for a TRDP 4R.  They only tell customers that they can "order" one to keep them roped in at the dealer.  They only had 1,500 total TRDP 4Rs last year in the USA market, 500 in each color.
View Quote

How much you wanna bet they get me exactly what I want... and even make the 2 hour drive to personally deliver it to me!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Curious about this also.

Local dealer has 23 SR5's and 2 Trails sitting on the lot right now. Zero mark-downs with 10 days left in the calendar year...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
ISIS contract tied up most of the production capacity
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its the same vehicle from 5+ years ago, what difference does it make?
View Quote

LOL, they said that about Nissan
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much you wanna bet they get me exactly what I want... and even make the 2 hour drive to personally deliver it to me!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow. Dont you just feel special. You must be a big deal
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That usually means they know they are already being 'allocated' one.  They know ~3 months ahead of time if they are.  Otherwise there are no "pre-orders."  

You would be amazed at how they falsely mislead customers into thinking that they can have one 'ordered' for them (anything to keep customers under that dealer's roof).  If you try to have them put that 'gaurantee' to writing...they won't.  No such thing as a "backordered" TRDP.  An allocation system does not allow for "backorders."
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell I never even saw a 16 on the lot. If it came off the truck it was sold that day. Took my quite some time to get the wife's new limited. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Order a Limited and have them put the TRD options on it, it's a much more capable and luxurious truck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh wow. Dont you just feel special. You must be a big deal
View Quote

go be poor somewhere else and don't forget your helmet!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh can't roll coal in a Toyota anyways

Toyotas are shit. Have owned three and they've al been junk.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

ok.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ok.
View Quote

this.
"junk"
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Order a Limited and have them put the TRD options on it, it's a much more capable and luxurious truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol no
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a pattern here.  And it's not the number of Toyotas....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have yet to see any 2017 4-Runners for sale - even the Toyota website still lists 2016....

Anyone know the reason or when the 2017s will come to market?
View Quote

Great avatar, btw.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ok.
View Quote

Corolla as a daily driver. Transmisson grenaded at about 105k miles. That was after a lengthy list of other problems that I always fixed.

4 runner as a toy/off-road rig. Granted it was an older model. Timing chain snapped while driving to a trail run. Fixed that and used it a little longer. Wasn't great off-road, always felt too big and boxy.

Tundra. For a "truck" it's towing capabilities were laughable. Just towing a relatively light Suzuki samurai it struggled and actually felt dangerous. Got terrible gas mileage regularly. Never felt powerful. Seats were uncomfortable and ripped easily. List of other issues as well.

I haven't had good experience with the brand
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
There were several 16s where I bought my LTD.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Read the other reply I posted. I haven't had good luck with them at all

I've had good luck with dodges and Honda. Dodge/ram will be all I buy from now on. I also have a Kia as a DD now and while it's been great it's still too new to make a judgement
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hell I never even saw a 16 on the lot. If it came off the truck it was sold that day. Took my quite some time to get the wife's new limited. 
View Quote

Yep, I got my Trail in January, it was on the lot 24 hours total before I drove it home. 

I saw it pop up in inventory, requested the test drive for the next morning online, and the dealer said that since I requested the drive first I had the first shot at it. After I drove and agreed to purchase, two more people showed up for the next test drive slots. One of them was offering to buy it from me in the lot as I was loading my stuff in it. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive been told not to expect anything until late February as they aren't even going to be rolling off of the production line until the end of January.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've had good luck with dodges and Honda. Dodge/ram will be all I buy from now on. I also have a Kia as a DD now and while it's been great it's still too new to make a judgement
View Quote

Ok, I lol'd at "Good luck with dodges"

I hope that works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#29]
They have to get through all their 16's first. There was a big delay on the 16's regarding the airbags so they made sure to fix the issue on the 17's but still have a large stock of 16's in the yards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

And here

Yep over here again

Omg someone agrees with rogueboss!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here

And here

Yep over here again

Omg someone agrees with rogueboss!
View Quote

One of my friends has '16 Ram and the tailgate won't even stay locked.  Falls down constantly.  He's had it back to the dealer multiple times.  That's funny as fuck for a brand new vehicle, I give him shit constantly for it.  His ass flap can't stay closed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had good luck with dodges and Honda. Dodge/ram will be all I buy from now on. I also have a Kia as a DD now and while it's been great it's still too new to make a judgemen

Ha-ha, yeah, me too.

<------ '07 Dodge Ram 1500 owner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a helluva time finding one in 2010 when the new model came out. Wife had to have leather. We found a cloth SR5 in Houston but she didn't like it. I found one online in College Station/Bryan but it was already sold. They said they had a gray leather sunroof SR5 coming in and I bought it over the phone and worked out a trade in amount, all without stepping on the lot. I don't know if it was BS or not as I don't recall getting the VIN right away like I did when I ordered my Ram. With that I had a VIN about 3 weeks after the order. Toyota said ordering was not possible but this was after an earthquake in Japan I believe. Ours has been rock solid but it's a 4x2 and only goes offroad if my wife hops a curb. You can pretty much weld the hood shut on these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top