Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 10:19:02 AM EDT
Hoping the vast knowledge of GD can help me out. I had replacement windows put in last year. Got a few quotes and picked what I thought was a good window. Double pane, low e, and whatever buzzwords all the companies were saying. I'm now wondering if I have a window problem or install problem. As soon as it starts getting cold I get condensation on the windows, which I can understand. I try to keep the house under 30% humidity which isn't even that comfortable. When it gets below about 10° outside the condensation freezes, so I have ice forming inside my house. Basically, should a good window freeze up like that in a 70° house with 30% humidity? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You need storm windows on the outside.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, WI is colder than OR so I can't speak for the extreme difference but...30% humidity is too dry; as you stated, uncomfortable.

Maybe storm windows are needed in WI but out here double pane like you installed is just fine. I would recommend two things. During the day time don't close curtains and second, make sure they have air flow from the heated interior.

Come over to the DIY forum for some more local, sound, advice.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
A good window should not frost on the inside. Sounds like your gas escaped.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, WI is colder than OR so I can't speak for the extreme difference but...30% humidity is too dry; as you stated, uncomfortable.

Maybe storm windows are needed in WI but out here double pane like you installed is just fine. I would recommend two things. During the day time don't close curtains and second, make sure they have air flow from the heated interior.

Come over to the DIY forum for some more local, sound, advice.

Good luck
View Quote

Thanks I cross posted to diy now. All the blinds are open during the day and we even leave the blinds open a crack at night. Could something be wrong with the install? I find it hard to believe we got 8 windows that were bad.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Something is fucky.

We have double pane windows, new construction.  The only way we get condensation on windows is if the humidifier is running close-by or in a closed room.  However, it never comes close to freezing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact window manufacturer or installer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good window should not frost on the inside. Sounds like your gas escaped.
View Quote

Thermopane (or whatever term they are using now) windows should not be icing up. I agree, sounds like your seal may have been compromised.

Energy guide
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Op never said he had ice forming between the panes like half of you people are reading.
Op if you have ice on the inside of your house 99% of the time its an install issue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes it is frozen inside the house, it then melts and I have water running down the wall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top