Posted: 12/19/2016 7:47:38 AM EDT
well, anyone over 10.

and yes, it's just after 12 on the watch shown.  love that watch
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i do not know anyone who cant read a analog watch
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No, I dont hang out with retards. Even my dumbass grandson, 6 year old, can read analog and convert it to military time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't say I know anyone that can't read an analog watch.... But there are a lot of idiots out there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure this is the same thing as not being able to read an analog watch, but:  a test for dementia (FTD) is to ask the patient to draw a clock face, fill in the numbers, and then draw the hands to a specified "time", say, "10 minutes after 4". . . .
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I can, but I have to think about it. I'm 33 and was never really around analogs. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My 20 year-old nephew, a product of the Florida public school system, can not read an analog clock. Can't read a ruler, either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i do not know anyone who cant read a analog watch
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The ruler thing is more common. Ask some random inner city  high schooler to show you 5/8th on a ruler, they cant.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The only person in the world I know that can't read an analog watch is my 9 year old son who also had Down's Syndrome.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
You normals sit up on your BIG BRAINED HORSE..
Yet you are so ignorant You don't even know what you don't know.  LoL

Real deal thing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Dyscalculia can occur in people from across the whole IQ range – often higher than average
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Real deal thing.
View Quote

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.:
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#12]
If your were a real badass OP you would have asked if you know anyone who can't read a binary clock.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Sadly, the first time I saw one when I was about 15 years old I said.........."that watch is broken it ain't 6:00 o'clock!!".

My friend said............"Uh..........RDAK, it is one of those 24 hour clocks dumbass!!".

Oops!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Everyone I know can read an analog (and digital) clock.
But I do have a couple of friends that come to me when they need their digital watch features programmed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know anyone that can't read analogue, but I do have a lot of employees that can't figure out military time.
We use it as we are a 24/7 facility.  Some jujst keep asking for a translation, evidently "add 12" is just too difficult.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
It isn't a new thing - when I was in college and worked at Sears, a "coworker,"  (high school student) came up to me and asked the time.  When I pointed out that there was a clock hanging from the ceiling right behind him, he stated, "But, that's analog!"  It actually took me a couple seconds to comprehend that he wasn't able to READ A CLOCK.

Of course, this brilliant individual was later arrested for theft.  He had stolen another coworker's purse from work, and 3 months later was stopped for driving through a red light with the purse still in his car...

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I wear an analog watch because I prefer Analog

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Every adult i know can read analog.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  White female in her 30s. She calls them "clock watches" and they seem to just confuse the shit out of her.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a friend who teaches middle school and some of the kids cannot read an analog clock.  Pretty sad really.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a friend who teaches middle school and some of the kids cannot read an analog clock.  Pretty sad really.
View Quote

Why would they need to? It's about as necessary as cursive. Might as well teach them to use a rotary phone, too.

If they desperately need to find South someday they can use their compass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real deal thing.

I'm betting you could stand a full power shoot from squatdog, so I'll send the monkey.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Clocks have never been a problem but rulers and similar implements give me hell because my eyes are going to shit.  :(    Getting old blows and I'm not even THAT old yet.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Clocks have never been a problem but rulers and similar implements give me hell because my eyes are going to shit.  :(    Getting old blows and I'm not even THAT old yet.  
View Quote

Yep, in my older age I need 2.00 readers to operate my calculator..... 

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If your were a real badass OP you would have asked if you know anyone who can't read a binary clock.
View Quote

Not everyone is binary. Why do you hate?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
well, anyone over 10.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Qp0Vx8reOkA/UcciRJa4j9I/AAAAAAAAFbc/tzpIIa7uN4E/s400/IMG_2570.JPG

and yes, it's just after 12 on the watch shown.  love that watch
View Quote

Fuck your question I have my own.

How good is the lum on a lume tec? I have wanted to buy one for a while but I'm afraid the glow won't last all night so it would be kinda pointless to wake up ato 4 or 5 am and not be able to see it without a flashlight

There are tons of conflicting info out there about if it's as bright/ not as bright as tritium after a few hours.

Halp!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://m8.i.pbase.com/u45/terry_56/upload/34645608.Slip_Stick1.jpg
View Quote

A tool of the devil!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A tool of the devil!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A tool of the devil!

Hey - it took us to the Moon and back and doesn't need batteries....   
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way?
View Quote

Some people are sick of this joke.  

I am not one of them.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember my favorite book in my Kindergarten classroom was a book that helped teach how to read an analog clock.

Everyone should know how to read a clock, a ruler, cursive, and a compass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 20 year-old nephew, a product of the Florida public school system, can not read an analog clock. Can't read a ruler, either.
View Quote

I'm also a product of the Florida public school system and it's wild how many common sense things I learned in school that your nephew's generation seems to have missed out on.

I am floored that there are so many people saying they know someone who can't read the hands of a clock. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given what I know about the average intellect in this country but I still am.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am not one of them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way?

I am not one of them.  

I still laugh every time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Jesus, not just analog watches or clocks, but I know some "electrical" mechs at work that if you hand them a Simpson 260 (analog VOM), they'll look at crosseyed, and then approach it like the apes approached the monolith in 2001, but if you hand them a Fluke 87, they're happy as a clam.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Yup, mainly the product of the trophy generation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had an older Mexican fellow come out to give me a quote on pouring a new sidewalk. When he pulled out a slide rule, it made me pause. Haven't seen anyone use one in a long time, let alone for adding up a bid. Almost everyone has tablets with dedicated software these days. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Entire classes of high schoolers.  GF couldn't figure out why none of her kids were filling out a form they use when they leave class to go to the bathroom.  Even the few good, eager to please kids.  When she made an example of a kid, she watched as the kid looked back to her friend, who looked to another friend, who looked at their phone and mouthed the time.  Analog clock on the wall, and the vast majority of the kids don't know what it means.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing he can't read cursive either
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jesus, not just analog watches or clocks, but I know some "electrical" mechs at work that if you hand them a Simpson 260 (analog VOM), they'll look at crosseyed, and then approach it like the apes approached the monolith in 2001, but if you hand them a Fluke 87, they're happy as a clam.
View Quote

But that analog MM can tell you more about things than the digital can.  For example, if you have a voltage that is varying in some sort of rhythm, the needle will tell you the frequency, and magnitude better than any DMM.  The analog will allow you to determine the possible sources of the problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck your question I have my own.

How good is the lum on a lume tec? I have wanted to buy one for a while but I'm afraid the glow won't last all night so it would be kinda pointless to wake up ato 4 or 5 am and not be able to see it without a flashlight

There are tons of conflicting info out there about if it's as bright/ not as bright as tritium after a few hours.

Halp!
View Quote

I dunno. My watch is 4 years old. I'll check in the morning and let you know.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Showed a friend's teenage daughter a '60s pocket transistor radio. She had no idea how to operate it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Showed a friend's teenage daughter a '60s pocket transistor radio. She had no idea how to operate it.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452989a69e2011570182e01970b-800wi
View Quote

Its almost like most people dont know how to operate technology that went obsolete a generation before they were born. Weird.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#43]
have had at least 2 former employees who did not know how and had to be taught where the big hand and little hand had to be.
they were OK if there were numbers on the clock, but a watch face with no numbers confused them

and yea, fuckin morons the pair of em.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Where I work (state prison) it is quite common.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm guessing he can't read cursive either
View Quote

I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
I've worked with grown ass men that cannot read a tape measure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I can, but I ALWAYS have to think about it LOL

I do have some employees that cant read or write though.  Best Part, I have offered to send them to school and they wont go
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://retrothing.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452989a69e2011570182e01970b-800wi
View Quote

Is AM radio even a thing anymore?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Common conversation when I'm subbing middle school and high school:

Student: What time is it?
Me: The clock is right there (pointing at clock hanging on the wall)
Student: I can't read one of those.
Me: Learn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top