Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2016 7:11:03 PM EDT
I have some heat treated piston rods that are a blueish purpleish tint on one end.  The blue/purple will wipe off with brake cleaner and a rag.  Is there any integrity issues with the metal or is it GTG?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
They are fine, you heat the small end of the rod to push a pressed wrist pin through. That way you don't crack a piston.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That was my take on it.  I have another set of the same rods from a different engine that are discolored in the same area but it's not blue/purple more of a burnt oil color.  This particular setup the rods are not heated to install the pins, they float and are held in the piston with circlips.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If it wipes off with solvent it isn't discolored metal. Try wiping the color off of a color case hardened receiver; it ain't happening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top