Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 3:25:21 PM EDT
Even just dabbling? I'm going on a big trip to Asia and I'm siphoning all purchases through a new Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Why did I not start doing this earlier?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What is travel hacking with credit cards?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Just go to Google flights or skipplagged and buy a ticket.

There is a reason credit card companies encourage there use..
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Did the Sapphire Prefered card last summer

well worth it for me and my wife.

Went for insane bonus this year on AMEX Plat business card. 100k signup miles. 

CC companies are wising  up. Big offers are once per lifetime, so churning through offers is becoming a thing of the past. 

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just go to Google flights or skipplagged and buy a ticket.

There is a reason credit card companies encourage there use..
View Quote

Because they are betting on morons missing payments and eating tons of interest fees? Just spend organically and pay it all off early and profit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
We use a miles reward card too. My wife's trip to Hawaii cost $11.57 recently, because of all the miles. We do a long distance trips or two very year. Last one was Istanbul and Jordan. Petra was worth the trip, and the miles we earned kept it affordable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is travel hacking with credit cards?
View Quote

I had to google it too.

http://zerototravel.com/trade-for-travel/beginners-guide-travel-hacking/
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did the Sapphire Prefered card last summer

well worth it for me and my wife.

Went for insane bonus this year on AMEX Plat business card. 100k signup miles. 

CC companies are wising  up. Big offers are once per lifetime, so churning through offers is becoming a thing of the past. 

YMMV
View Quote

There is also a Sapphire Reserve card that gives 100K points after first $4,000 spent in 3 months and 3x points in certain categories. Only catch is the annual $450 fee.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
My firm once needed to borrow a credit card while they sorted out the firm's card, so I volunteered my Alaska Air card.  They would cut me checks at the end of the month for whatever they charged.  I think they forgot to switch back to the firm card, because they kept using my card for a year.  I wound up with 350,000 miles.  

It's paid for 4 round trip tickets to Hawaii, plus a bunch of random other trips.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My firm once needed to borrow a credit card while they sorted out the firm's card, so I volunteered my Alaska Air card.  They would cut me checks at the end of the month for whatever they charged.  I think they forgot to switch back to the firm card, because they kept using my card for a year.  I wound up with 350,000 miles.  

It's paid for 4 round trip tickets to Hawaii, plus a bunch of random other trips.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Chase Hyatt card gives 2 free nights at any Hyatt property in the world. Just got back from 4 nights at the Park Hyatt a block and a half from Trump Tower. Saphire Preferred is a great card. If you can qualify for some of the Chase business cards, you're set!

Some people are pros at this. They call it churning. It has an active reddit community. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chase Hyatt card gives 2 free nights at any Hyatt property in the world. Just got back from 4 nights at the Park Hyatt a block and a half from Trump Tower. Saphire Preferred is a great card. If you can qualify for some of the Chase business cards, you're set!

Some people are pros at this. They call it churning. It has an active reddit community. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/
View Quote

Awesome. That must have been worth $6-7K.

The Chase Freedom is the only one that I think I'll be getting in the near future. My bosses are dummies if they aren't using Ink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top