Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/18/2016 2:42:19 PM EDT
Warming stations set up in Dallas
Warming stations are now available in the City of Dallas for people who need relief from the bitter cold temperatures. 43 recreation centers and 29 libraries are open during normal business hours for people to seek temporary relief from the cold, according to the City of Dallas.
View Quote

Vitruvian Lights in Addison cut short by freezing temperatures
A nasty arctic blast cut the annual Vitruvian Lights in Addison short. The Georgia Bridgewater band rocked the park for about an hour, before the party was canceled when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. People arrived bundled in coats and blankets to dance, grab a bite to eat from the food trucks, take in all the beautiful lights and see Santa. Event organizer, Jessica Zazzara, knew going into the night that it might have to be canceled due to the weather. She took it minute by minute, and finally decided it was just too cold and too windy, and was concerned about the chance of precipitation.
View Quote

Let the northern chortling begin. Perhaps even a hearty guffaw? 

It's 20 degrees out. The locals are preparing for the apocalypse. It looks like the set of The Day After around here. 

My power just came back on. It's been out since 3:30am. 

My living room couch has an electric motor and wouldn't recline. These are the struggles I must lead my family through. It's been a tough slog, but we're pulling through. I was digging through my backpacking gear to pull out the Sno Peak fuel canisters and stove so that I could nourish my wife with a cup of emergency coffee, and sustain her through the hard times. 

It's also like 60 degrees and climbing in the house, instead of the normal 72. I've told the children they can remove their North Face expedition gear, and extinguish the camp fire in the living room. We're going to make it now. The dog seems relieved, as my son has stopped salivating while looking at him. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol Texas
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you turned into a true Texan now that if it gets colder then 60 you are freezing?
Come on man, you lived in the snow belt, that's shorts weather for us up here still
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
considering it was a typical winter 75 degree's yesterday. I washed both cars in shorts and a t shirt... went inside to take a shower, came back out and it was 20 degrees.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It was -10 when I went to the gas station in shorts and a sweatshirt this morning.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I went Hog hunting in Hunt County yesterday and my phone would not work in the cold . i could not take pics of the two hogs I shot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Better get to looking for your lug key and snow tires
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
lol Texas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I live 20mi(ish) from you and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.   Wait, you are new to north Texas and had incorrect preconceived notions about the weather here!  Got it, now a local will tell you:

This is normal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
43 recreation centers and 29 libraries are open during normal business hours for people to seek temporary relief from the cold, according to the City of Dallas.
View Quote

Sooooooooo...no change then?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
-25F here you don't see me complaing. I even wandered around outside without a coat for bit.

20F would feel warm right now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol Texas.
View Quote

Hey, anything below 50 is a freakin' Arctic blast in San Antonio. It was 26 degrees this morning when I left for work this morning. I actually had to put on a jacket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Meanwhile in Michigan

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Reminds me of Christmas on South Beach Miami years ago. There was ice on the side walk, Cubans were wrapped up in down parkas looking like the Michelin Man. Where the hell do you find a down parka in Miami?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Embarrassing. Those people are not with me!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I live 20mi(ish) from you and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.   Wait, you are new to north Texas and had incorrect preconceived notions about the weather here!  Got it, now a local will tell you:

This is normal.
View Quote
It was supposed to be funny. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
lol Texas.
View Quote

That's what we say when other places complain about the oppressive heat. at 85 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I laughed.

My brother, who is an Ohio transplant living in DFW for the past 15 years or so, says the scariest thing to him is watching the locals deal with ice and snow.  He won't come out of the house.  

I didn't have the heart to tell him he's probably lost his l33t snow skillz, as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
No power. You know you could have brought the family down here. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Poor old Texass, its 83F here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Glad you had enough preps to make it through that potentially deadly cold blast.  

Why don't people in TX just stay home when it is that cold (to them, anyway)?
View Quote
We do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No power. You know you could have brought the family down here. 
View Quote

We managed fine. Well, except for the recliners not working and needing to depend on a MiFi for Internet. 

Brutal. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
There are a lot of homeless folks around DFW and a lot of them are homeless because they're mentally ill.

Consider the plight of the politician who offered no respite to the mentally ill and allowed them to freeze to death in the streets. 

Sometimes it not all about us...it's about the less fortunate. 

Merry Christmas! 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#26]
lol, that's cute.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was supposed to be funny. 
View Quote
And it was. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We managed fine. Well, except for the recliners not working and needing to depend on a MiFi for Internet. 

Brutal. 
View Quote

Thank god it didn't reach day two.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's what we say when other places complain about the oppressive heat. at 85 degrees.
View Quote
I'm one of those people. I moved here in August and I wanted to die, it was so fucking hot. It's normal for people to keep their A/C set at like 78F around here. Jesus H Christ, that's like sauna temperatures. Who lives like this? 

It didn't help that people kept reminding me that this was actually a really mild summer. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The other places probably aren't setting up climate safe spaces.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#31]
op, i feel your pain?

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm one of those people. I moved here in August and I wanted to die, it was so fucking hot. It's normal for people to keep their A/C set at like 78F around here. Jesus H Christ, that's like sauna temperatures. Who lives like this? 

It didn't help that people kept reminding me that this was actually a really mild summer. 
View Quote

It was a mild summer. This does happen down here sometimes.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The other places probably aren't setting up climate safe spaces.

View Quote
People literally die in NE Ohio if the temps stay in the high 90s long enough. Usually the elderly. There are news stories about it every year. Cleveland sets up cooling stations, provides free water, etc. 

It's kind of funny to observe the differences - and the amusing similarities. The middle of summer here looks a lot like the middle of winter in Ohio - everybody is under climate control. Very few kids playing outside, the basketball and tennis courts are empty, the tables and chairs on the sidewalk outside of a restaurant sit empty, everybody has their windows rolled up in their cars, you don't see many motorcycles or bicyclists, etc, etc.

One is because of heat, and one is because of cold. But it kind of looks the same. It's just something I noticed. I think it's funny.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Too cold to get out. Forced to eat a can of tuna fish for lunch and I don't even like tuna fish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Warming stations are now available in the City of Dallas for people who need relief from the bitter cold temperatures. 43 recreation centers and 29 libraries are open during normal business hours for people to seek temporary relief from the cold, according to the City of Dallas.
View Quote

A nasty arctic blast cut the annual Vitruvian Lights in Addison short. The Georgia Bridgewater band rocked the park for about an hour, before the party was canceled when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees. People arrived bundled in coats and blankets to dance, grab a bite to eat from the food trucks, take in all the beautiful lights and see Santa. Event organizer, Jessica Zazzara, knew going into the night that it might have to be canceled due to the weather. She took it minute by minute, and finally decided it was just too cold and too windy, and was concerned about the chance of precipitation.
View Quote

It's 20 degrees out. The locals are preparing for the apocalypse. It looks like the set of The Day After around here. 

My living room couch has an electric motor and wouldn't recline. These are the struggles I must lead my family through. It's been a tough slog, but we're pulling through. I was digging through my backpacking gear to pull out the Sno Peak fuel canisters and stove so that I could nourish my wife with a cup of emergency coffee, and sustain her through the hard times. 

It's also like 60 degrees and climbing in the house, instead of the normal 72. I've told the children they can remove their North Face expedition gear, and extinguish the camp fire in the living room. We're going to make it now. The dog seems relieved, as my son has stopped salivating while looking at him. 
View Quote

I took have found that most here in SATX are afraid the world is ending because of the cold. After working in CO and WY for the last 12 years, I welcome the much needed break from the heat. I'm enjoying the cold while I can.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It was a mild summer. This does happen down here sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/ELDvIy7.jpg
View Quote

Yep 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Just wait until your first big Texas ice storm. Your best bet then is to just stay home. The ice isn't bad but the drivers around here are the big hazard. Maybe only 1 person out of every 1000 can deal with the weather. The rest are out to use their vehicle to kill every one they come in contact with.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#38]
hahaha
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
People literally die in NE Ohio if the temps stay in the high 90s long enough. Usually the elderly. There are news stories about it every year. Cleveland sets up cooling stations, provides free water, etc. 

It's kind of funny to observe the differences - and the amusing similarities. The middle of summer here looks a lot like the middle of winter in Ohio - everybody is under climate control. Very few kids playing outside, the basketball and tennis courts are empty, the tables and chairs on the sidewalk outside of a restaurant sit empty, everybody has their windows rolled up in their cars, you don't see many motorcycles or bicyclists, etc, etc.

One is because of heat, and one is because of cold. But it kind of looks the same. It's just something I noticed. I think it's funny.  
View Quote

My answer was in reference to the 85 degree temps of the other poster. But yes I understand, people died in Maryland quite a bit when the heat index reached the 100s
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
LOLLLLLLL.

It was 0F at 0900 this morning when I strapped on my backpack and went hiking.  Halfway through my hike I stopped, fired up the JetBoil, rehydrated a bag of Mountain House Lasagna and had breakfast.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#41]
move to a free warm state
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
72 yesterday, 19 this morning

You can take this global warming shit back to Washington DC
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it's true.  Yanks get winter bellies and we get summer bellies due to limited activities.
I keep my air at 78 and even that can be chilly just sitting around.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
72 yesterday, 19 this morning

You can take this global warming shit back to Washington DC
View Quote

It seriously dropped from 70F to under 30 in like 4-5 hours. That was pretty impressive. I can't remember the last time I felt a temperature swing that dramatic. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lol Texas
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
It was 72 in Memphis yesterday and 20 this morning.  Current real feel is 21.
We've got the wood burner going and it's 79 in here.  Not bad for a woman... LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#48]
-25 when I woke up this morning but its warmed up to -6. Had to put on the winter jacket today which was annoying but tolerable.

On the plus side, the cold temps tend to keep the riff raff away.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you make french toast ?
View Quote
I sent my wife to the store last night to buy pickles for the hamburgers I was making, and she said it was a mad house. It took her almost an hour. Neither of us had any idea why. Now I think I might have an idea. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]

I snapped this picture this morning.  Yep, it says -27F.  That just the air temperature, no wind chill.

In MN by the way.

Man
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top