Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2016 1:24:54 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Does my PPKS count?

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It was my father's is the only reason I even keep this POS around.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Raven .25. It was a buddy of mine's and when he passed his wife asked to sell off some of his guns for "fair" value. I had no idea what those went for so I jokenly said $25, sold. 

Its a fun little gun, and I must admit, I've looked at the ivory grips for a it a couple times. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Raven .25. It was a buddy of mine's and when he passed his wife asked to sell off some of his guns for "fair" value. I had no idea what those went for so I jokenly said $25, sold. 

Its a fun little gun, and I must admit, I've looked at the ivory grips for a it a couple times. 
View Quote

the pearl grips on my .25 broke in half
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do Bersa .380s count? (no hate on the Bersa .380, heck of a little gun for the money)
View Quote

bersas and ppks are to the guns above as Noveske is to DPMS
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Jennings J-22, it is cheap and pot metal but I love plinking with it lol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Jennings J-22, it is cheap and pot metal but I love plinking with it lol.
View Quote

I have one as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does my PPKS count?
View Quote

Absolutely NOT!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Belonged to my grandfather
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#12]
It's got a barrel that's blue and cold.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I also own a Raven .25. It isn't a gun I would have ever purchased, but it was one of the two guns my grandfather owned, so it has sentimental value. I had a Jennings J22, but after it kept jamming on me, it was sold with full disclosure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Does my PPKS count?
View Quote

Shut your whore mouth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep a Taurus 94  2" .22 in the console of my truck.
it's a pile of crap, but it does fire every time I pull the 28 pound trigger.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know the etymology of Saturday Night Special?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Does this count? I paid 69.99 for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anyone know the etymology of Saturday Night Special?
View Quote

The phrase Saturday night special (SNS) is a colloquial term used in the United States and Canada for any inexpensive handgun, especially a mousegun/pocket pistol. Saturday night specials have been defined as compact, inexpensive, small-caliber handguns with perceived low-quality;[1] however, there is no official definition of "Saturday night special" under US or Canadian federal law. Some states define "Saturday night specials" or "junk guns" by means of composition or materials strength. Low cost and high availability make these weapons attractive to many buyers despite their shortcomings. In the late-19th century and early-20th century, they were commonly referred to as suicide specials.[2]

The term "Saturday night special" came into wider use with the passing of the Gun Control Act of 1968. The term (and the gun control act itself) have been described as racist in origin[3][4] because the act banned the importation and manufacture of many inexpensive firearms, most notably a large number of revolvers made by Röhm Gesellschaft, which were typically purchased and owned by low-income blacks.[2][4] With importation banned, Röhm opened a factory in Miami, Florida, and a number of companies in the United States began production of inexpensive handguns, including Raven Arms, Jennings Firearms, Phoenix Arms, Lorcin Engineering Company, Davis Industries, Arcadia Machine & Tool, and Sundance Industries, which collectively came to be known as the "Ring of Fire companies".[5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:42:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Had a Raven .25. I think I should have kept it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I will say when I first got my little Raven, and took it apart to inspect before shooting it, then went to buy a box of ammo. 

I felt like a kid buying condoms for the first time asking for .25 auto ammo.  I had to buy a case of .454 "for my other gun" to offset the perception I actually carried the Raven.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The phrase Saturday night special (SNS) is a colloquial term used in the United States and Canada for any inexpensive handgun, especially a mousegun/pocket pistol. Saturday night specials have been defined as compact, inexpensive, small-caliber handguns with perceived low-quality;[1] however, there is no official definition of "Saturday night special" under US or Canadian federal law. Some states define "Saturday night specials" or "junk guns" by means of composition or materials strength. Low cost and high availability make these weapons attractive to many buyers despite their shortcomings. In the late-19th century and early-20th century, they were commonly referred to as suicide specials.[2]

The term "Saturday night special" came into wider use with the passing of the Gun Control Act of 1968. The term (and the gun control act itself) have been described as racist in origin[3][4] because the act banned the importation and manufacture of many inexpensive firearms, most notably a large number of revolvers made by Röhm Gesellschaft, which were typically purchased and owned by low-income blacks.[2][4] With importation banned, Röhm opened a factory in Miami, Florida, and a number of companies in the United States began production of inexpensive handguns, including Raven Arms, Jennings Firearms, Phoenix Arms, Lorcin Engineering Company, Davis Industries, Arcadia Machine & Tool, and Sundance Industries, which collectively came to be known as the "Ring of Fire companies".[5]
View Quote

They would use this tactic again and again based on this success, first with "cop killer bullets" in the 80s, then "assault weapons" in the 90s, "junk guns" briefly in the early 2000s, and "the gun show loophole"  and "ghost guns" more recently.  The power of propaganda.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I've owned Jennings and HiPoints. I consider my Glocks to be SNS in a way because all were purchased in private sales.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a little RG.  Bought it for $35 at a flea market when I was a kid.  Carried that everywhere and killed a shit ton of water moccasins with it.
View Quote

How? I have one that was my late ex father in laws, the only way I could accomplish that reliably would be to go straight up gangster and put one behind its ear......damn thing is a contact use only weapon, or a noise maker.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Lorcin in .25 ACP....paid $60 for it which is about $50 too much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a POS Davis .380 that belonged to my dad. Thing has sat in the safe since 2002 and I have not fired it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Back in the '80's; I could buy Ravens and Jennings from wholesalers for $30-$40 each. The .22 models were at the higher end but I would tell people they would save the difference on the first box of ammo. I had customers that would buy them by the 1/2 dozen to give away for Christmas gifts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe that in the 1920s or 30s, it was "N-----town Saturday Night Special", as they were frequently used in minority areas to settle disputes. I recall a professor speaking at an NRA meeting about the racial origins of gun control laws. After his research was published, the term disappeared from the gun controller lexicon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got an older Rossi .22lr if that counts. Pic is not of mine but looks just like this. I don't know the model or even remember where or when I got it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 Jennings J-22s
Using CCI Mini-Mags I can often get them to run through a magazine without jamming.
I have no idea why I keep them but they are fun to shoot when they decide to function.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#32]

My "Leroy Brown" collection.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Funny thing about the cast zinc guns-most are related companies. George Jennings started raven, his ex wife took over the company and renamed it Phoenix Arms. George started Jennings Arms. Lorcin was started by one of his high school classmates and davis by his son in law(the last two might be reversed)

ETA-More currently, Jimenez was started by a former Jennings employee. Parts interchange with the Jennings guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a F.I.E. Titan I bought back in the 80's for $25. I put a couple mags a year thru it and while the trigger is about 20lbs, it goes bang every time. I carry it when I can't really carry and if I have to toss it, meh, big whoop, I'll strip it, whack the frame a few times, break it toss the pieces in different places and not worry. [not because I committed some shooting crime or something like that]

I could probably keep and sell the mag for about what I paid for the gun, cheap guns have expensive mags for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's got a barrel that's blue and cold.
View Quote

Ain't good for nuthin'
Xcpt to put a man six feet in a hole! >:-(

And yes, "n****rtown Saturday night" was where the term originally came from. :-)  Been looking at the Kel-Tec .32s meself, and the Rough Rider .22 SAA revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Davis .32ACP derringer.  It is reliable, though slow to reload as the extractor fell off.

Not very accurate, but how many derringers are?

The fire control parts look to be decent, and the die cast zinc frame hasn't given any problems yet.

For what it is it does what it is supposed to do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1.  Had a shop here that closed on the 1990's, Norcol.  It was in the hood.  Sold tons of Jennings, Ravens, RG's.   The  rumor was they sold them Friday with a box of ammo for $25 and bought them back on Monday for $5.  Lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Davis P-380 with a cracked slide.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#39]
heres  my little gem, shes a FIE t-18. 6 shot .22 sa/da with a pot metal frame and stainless cylinder and barrel sleeve.  the rod that hold the cylinder in place doubles as the ejector. shes so loose that she blows more fire out the sides than lead out the front. when I trapped she was a great dispatch tool loaded with shorts, although the thought of hitting anything over 5 ft away is laughable!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I HAD a Jennings 22 lr.  One time I set up a cardboard box 15 ft away and shot at a target taped to it.  I fired 6 rounds at it and looked in the box.  2 bullets were laying in the bottom.  

I never used it for anything after that because if I shot something or someone with it, I'd just piss them off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/GunsandSerialnumbers129_zps3c11ca12.jpg
View Quote

Got the same one!  37 years ago my wife (then my girlfriend) worked at a pharmacy and a retired cop customer gave it to her for protection.  I bought her a Smith J frame and threw that piece of junk in a drawer. Would love to find one of those "get guns off the street" deals that would give me 50 bucks for it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've owned Jennings and HiPoints. I consider my Glocks to be SNS in a way because all were purchased in private sales.
View Quote

What does "private sale" have to do with Saturday Night Specials? One of us is confused.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I own a Glock, so..........yeah. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Shut your whore mouth.
View Quote

The entire scene plays out something like this:

Major Boothroyd: [to M, referring to Bond's Beretta] Nice and light... in a lady's handbag.
M: Any comment, 007?
James Bond: I disagree, sir. I've carried the Beretta for ten years, and I've never missed with it.
M: No, but it jameed on you last job, and you spent six months in hospital in consequence. When you carry a 00 number, you have a license to kill, not get killed. Furthermore, since I've been head of MI7
[sic - MI6]
M: there's been a forty percent drop in casualties, and I want to keep it that way. From now on you carry the Walther... unless you'd rather return to standard intelligence duties.
James Bond: No sir, I would not.
M: [to Boothroyd] Show him, Armourer.
Major Boothroyd: [to Bond] Kindly shut your whore mouth, 007. Walther PPK, 7.65 millimeter, with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a Brausch silencer,|with little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swear by them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a box of misc one that I got from a friends wife when my friend passed.
i really have no idea what is even in the box
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What does "private sale" have to do with Saturday Night Specials? One of us is confused.
View Quote

yeah, I kind of at that one.

I thought it was common knowledge that the best deals are always in parking lots.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a J22 I inherited when my stepdad died.

I shoot it every once and awhile.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#49]
got it for free, waiting on a buy back to get rid of it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/GunsandSerialnumbers129_zps3c11ca12.jpg
View Quote

I've got a pot metal .22 pistol that I can't get rid of for the same reason, but the gearing in the cylinder is so worn down despite very little use, that I have to manually adjust the cylinder to get it to align with the barrel.  Not a safe gun to shoot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top