Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 12:57:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Simply because all technology is improving (even if the Concorde is old), it makes sense that air travel would improve as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope so
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Virgin is already building one.  Advertised $5,000 trans Atlantic ticket price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuel is cheap right now and I forget who, but someone is working on reducing the effect of the sonic boom on the folks below the plane's flight path.

Then if that tech comes to fruition, you will need the govt to allow super sonic flight over the US.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Not if the FAA has anything g to say about it.  And they will.  

If the FAA was a thing 80 years ago we'd all be flying in 30 seat prop planes flying at 5k feet costing 3000 dollars a ticket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Virgin is already building one.  Advertised $5,000 trans Atlantic ticket price.
View Quote

That's what a typical business class ticket costs anyways.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I posted once that the day the Concord SST ceased to fly aviation took a step backwards
got beat up for that but I still think so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Engine technology, specifically reduced fuel consumption at supersonic speed has made some real progress since that state sponsored boondoggle. It could actually be viable now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I posted once that the day the Concord SST ceased to fly aviation took a step backwards
View Quote

Yep, it's like introducing the smartphone and then taking it out and going back to flip up phones
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Fwiw- that's a scam directed by people, and for people, who know nothing about designing, building and certifying, operating flying, or maintaining, airplanes.  

For some reason, Denver is a Mecca for failed airplane manufacturers.  

I would love to be wrong.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:48:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the FAA was a thing 80 years ago we'd all be flying in 30 seat prop planes flying at 5k feet costing 3000 dollars a ticket.
View Quote

The FAA was a thing 90 years ago, it traces its origins to 1926.

It was created at the request of the airline industry to promote commercial air travel by establishing safety standards, etc.

The FAA has done an immense amount to promote commercial air travel.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 will there ever be a profitable niche market for something like this grand bird again? 
View Quote

again?

was the concorde ever profitable?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of incredibly rich people with lots of money to spend, so maybe.

I think the common man will see more individual transport though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe the Almighty E. Musk can create an all electric supersonic plane.   All joking aside,  it would fantastic if the Concorde like plane would return to commercial aviation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Doubtful.  The economics won't work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, it's coming. 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was created at the request of the airline industry to promote commercial air travel by establishing safety standards, etc.

View Quote

You crack or heroin?  That is the exact opposite of what the FAA does.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#20]
"Ever" is a really long time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#21]
In before the burning and crashing Concord.

I have asked the question.
Is there or why isn't there a supersonic private jet out there?

I would think someone with more money than brains would have had a company build one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

So Piedmont Airlines would still be around
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In before the burning and crashing Concord.

I would think someone with more money than brains would have had a company build one.
View Quote
Prototypes have been built and there are privately owned supersonic aircraft, but none of them are what you'd normally consider "business jets". 
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#24]
A supersonic business jet is coming...

http://fortune.com/2015/11/24/supersonic-private-jet/
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you couldn't fly it over the continental US (or any populated area) at least not supersonic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because you couldn't fly it over the continental US (or any populated area) at least not supersonic.
View Quote

NASA and the USAF have been working together for years on reducing the boom.  We are at the point now where all that remains is convincing the FAA.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, it's like introducing the smartphone and then taking it out and going back to flip up phones
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would actually be an improvement to society!

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes. Simply because all technology is improving (even if the Concorde is old), it makes sense that air travel would improve as well.
View Quote

It isn't about technology.  It's been 40 years since the Concorde was introduced, and technology, engineering, manufacturing, materials have come a LONG way since then.

What it's all about is fuel costs and market share.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:08:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, when it becomes economically feasible. The airfare on the Concorde was outrageous and operating costs were high. For many is was one of those flight of a lifetime deals.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, we won't see another SST in my lifetime simply due to regulatory and budgetary constraints.

Pay attention to his comments on the technology plateau.
Burt Rutan: Entrepreneurs are the future of space flight
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

NASA and the USAF have been working together for years on reducing the boom.  We are at the point now where all that remains is convincing the FAA.
View Quote

Good fucking luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

again?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 will there ever be a profitable niche market for something like this grand bird again? 

again?

No.  It was a flagship that made BOAC and Air France look cutting edge. It lost money every flight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
NASA and Boeing are working on ways to minimize sonic boom at ground level.

They are making some progress, and there will definitely be a return to supersonic travel, as soon as noise levels on the ground can be reduced enough.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Boom is the latest to jump into the SST fray with this Mach 2.2 beauty:

Boom is HQ's at Centennial Airport outside Denver. Their hope is that the advances in materials, aerodynamics and engine technologies achieved since Concord was designed (Early 1960's) will permit them to keep the aircraft's per seat operating costs low enough to turn a profit.  The airframe is sized to accommodate 45 to 50 seats to keep the load factor high.  On key business city pairs (JFK-LHR, LAX-NRT, etc.) there's probably enough demand for a few dozen aircraft.  Add a few more for corporate, private and nation/state travel and they might be able to make a go of it.

As was noted several posts above, Richard Branson's Spaceship Company will be handling the construction and flight test of the XB-1, a smaller proof of concept vehicle which is expected to be fly late in 2017.   More info is available at www.boomsupersonic.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably not.  It has to be economically successful and the concorde never made money.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While simultaneously killing general aviation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The only picture ever taken of #Concorde flying at Mach 2 (1,350 mph). Taken from an RAF Tornado fighter jet, which flew side-by-side with the Concorde for 4 minutes over the Irish Sea. The Tornado was rapidly running out of fuel, struggling to keep up with it
Mach 2.2 actually, at 60k feet I believe

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1569/25088910183_cbe7d5cb91_b.jpg
View Quote
Man, that is a cool photo.  Thanks for posting. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top